Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours hedge

Options
  • 31-05-2017 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Can someone tell me when is the best time of year to prune a laurel hedge?

It is my neighbours hedge, it is growing 3 or 4 ft over boundary wall. I don't what hassle or cost of pruning it. Just wondering when best to approach them to ask them to cut it back.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Spring and autum is usually best, as that allows regrowth cover the area for the summer and it doesn't look so "chopped" on your side.

They will however survive cutting back now if you wish and you'd be in your rights to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If it is over your boundary wall you could cut it yourself, but yes it would be neighbourly to mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You don't want the hassle of cutting it? Your neighbour will hardly agree to cut it back for you as it isn't his responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You don't want the hassle of cutting it? Your neighbour will hardly agree to cut it back for you as it isn't his responsibility.

Really? It is his/her hedge and should bear some responsibility for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

http://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/
    My neighbour’s tree is overhanging into my garden. Do I have the right to prune back the branches?

A landowner may cut off any tree branches which over-hangs his/her property without giving notice to the owner of the tree, but may not cut down the tree or enter on to the land of the tree owner without permission. In so doing, the landowner must take care not to render the tree dangerous and may only cut on the side of and up to his/her boundary line. It is unlawful to ring bark or otherwise injure trees in such a manner as to cause them to die or decay. All cuttings must be given back to the owner of the tree, or at least offered back. If the owner of the tree doesn’t want the cuttings, they must be disposed of in a responsible way and should not be left in the tree owner’s property without permission.
    Fortunately, we get on very well with the neighbours over many decades and take care of our own hedges. On one side the neighbour annually cuts any overhang into us and disposes of the cuttings and we do the same with some of their trees. The other side's gardener is my drinking buddy so all is easily sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

bladespin wrote: »
    Really? It is his/her hedge and should bear some responsibility for it.

Afaik they need to cut the top, but any overhang on your side is your responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭eireyiddo

Can u dump cuttings in their garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

eireyiddo wrote: »

If you want to ruin your relationship with them you can. You are supposed to offer the cuttings back. Shared hedges can cause people to fall out with neighbours quite easily so a bit of give and take goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭eireyiddo

Grand, I'll leave note with the cuttings.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Thanks for the replies. To be clear it is not a shared hedge. The neighbour planted it. It is now growing over the wall. This issue seems to raise varying opinions but I don't grow things in my garden, no green fingers here. I don't want to have to maintain the hedge twice a year forever more. I really don't see why I should have to maintain a hedge I didn't plant, I didn't want etc. How can any one plant a hedge and then put it on their neighbour as being a joint responsibility to maintain.

Hopefully neighbour will see it my way. They better be willing to maintain it or the cutting will be flying over the wall. They planted it and they can dispose of cuttings. I'm not going to be out of pocket!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You can but they can go after you for littering their property.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

given that cherry laurel leaves when cut or crushed can emit cyanide, that might not go down well!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

eireyiddo wrote:
    Grand, I'll leave note with the cuttings.

Did you not read the bit about it being illegal to dump the clippings in your neighbour's garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

This quote just sums up my whole attitude to the hedge issue. Their hedge, their responsibility. I will avoid touching it as I feel if I trim it then I'm giving the impression that I'm willing to do so in future, which I'm not!

http://treecouncil.ie/tree-advice/trees-law/

"The owner of land on which a tree is growing is responsible for its safety and maintenance."

Advertisement