Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euro Trip

• 31-05-2017 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

Hey folks,

Myself and one of my friends are heading off for 14 days across Europe and I am looking for suggestions on roads that are a “must do†and places of interest to explore along the route from people that might have done a similar route before

The rough outline of the route is as follows: Calis -> Paris -> Geneva -> Swiss Alps -> Stuttgart -> Luxemburg - > Brussels -> Amsterdam -> Bruges (via Middelburg) -> Calis

As I said it’s a rough outline of the route and we would be willing to deviate within reason if there is something worth going to see along the way that is not too far out.

Also, any general tips and advice regarding touring, the country's etc. would be welcomed too.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Only tip you need is stay far far away from Holland its as flat and boring as it comes....real waste of time.

If it was me I would be making the B500 in Germany my go to place, Via Brussels and Luxenborg. The B500 @ Baden Baden runs the best part of the country south on the most glorious road and parks into Titisee and on into Switzerland. I did it a few years ago and it was uber good.

Back up through the France and home..... there is a brilliant pass on the border of France and Switzerland (name escapes me) but Switzerland has 4-5 lifetime (passes) rides on a motorbike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

That looks like an Inter-rail route. Do you need to go to Paris, Geneva, Stuttgart...?
    Calais to Paris is tedious. An alternative is to route via the Ardennes
    Other areas worth considering - the Vosgses, Black Forest, then on to the Alps but you'll have to prioritise 'cos there's enough there for many trips.
    alpineroads.com/ will give you some ideas and info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/ - Take your pick.

+1 on the B500. It is excellent and full of bikes. Nice and twisty but not too challenging. Baden Baden to Titisee is beautiful - I did it in a motorhome and was wishing I'd the bike.
    There are plenty of brown trousers mountain passes in the Alps if that is your thing.
    Edit: This is probably a more helpful link. http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-europe

As was said Black Forrest in Germany.....cant rate it enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Only tip you need is stay far far away from Holland its as flat and boring as it comes....real waste of time.

If it was me I would be making the B500 in Germany my go to place, Via Brussels and Luxenborg. The B500 @ Baden Baden runs the best part of the country south on the most glorious road and parks into Titisee and on into Switzerland. I did it a few years ago and it was uber good.

Back up through the France and home..... there is a brilliant pass on the border of France and Switzerland (name escapes me) but Switzerland has 4-5 lifetime (passes) rides on a motorbike.

*giggle*

But in all seriousness, I've been on this route a good few years ago by car and it is beautiful, highly recommend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Central Switzerland has many great passes in close proximity. Bit pursed pressed for time at the moment but will list them when I get home.

BKtje wrote: »
    Central Switzerland has many great passes in close proximity. Bit pursed pressed for time at the moment but will list them when I get home.

Yep, 4-5 of the top 10 in Europe apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭scotchy

Head down to The Pyrenees, I know its nowhere near your planned route but you'll love it. It was my first bike trip in Europe and I've been back a few time since.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Hodge32

I've done thousands of miles within Europe... Your biggest problem will be, once you get to Switzerland, you won't want to leave!! I'd give Luxembourg a miss. Nothing much there and a lot of motorways. You will need to avoid motorways in both France and Switzerland, or you'll be in the poor-house!! I avoided them in every country. The roads are class. Strasbourg is a nice area with fantastic roads. Get set up with a sat nav. and a map. Don't be shocked when other road users treat you with respect!!! that's the respect bikers have on the continent. Obviously, it works both ways!
    Remember one vital piece of information when your on two wheels.... You are NEVER lost!! When you get anywhere near the black forest or the Alpes, it doesn't matter which direction you go. If you get it wrong, don't panic, don't rush... the chances are, you are about to come across something beautiful, a village, a lake, a forest etc... It's the most amazing holiday you'll ever have. Myself and my wife did 6000kms three years ago on our honeymoon. She still talks about it at least once a week..
    Enjoy the trip you lucky f*cker!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Mosel Valley in Germany and the Nurburg Ring,some amazing roads and scenery in that part of Germany.

• Advertisement

The ring is one sure way to ruin your trip if it goes tits up....just be aware.

If you crash you are responsible for all parties including clean up of track etc, its a wonderful experience but very costly if something goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Hodge32 wrote: »
    I've done thousands of miles within Europe... Your biggest problem will be, once you get to Switzerland, you won't want to leave!! I'd give Luxembourg a miss. Nothing much there and a lot of motorways. You will need to avoid motorways in both France and Switzerland, or you'll be in the poor-house!! I avoided them in every country. The roads are class. Strasbourg is a nice area with fantastic roads. Get set up with a sat nav. and a map. Don't be shocked when other road users treat you with respect!!! that's the respect bikers have on the continent. Obviously, it works both ways!
    Remember one vital piece of information when your on two wheels.... You are NEVER lost!! When you get anywhere near the black forest or the Alpes, it doesn't matter which direction you go. If you get it wrong, don't panic, don't rush... the chances are, you are about to come across something beautiful, a village, a lake, a forest etc... It's the most amazing holiday you'll ever have. Myself and my wife did 6000kms three years ago on our honeymoon. She still talks about it at least once a week..
    Enjoy the trip you lucky f*cker!!!
    Great advice. Can be done cheaply if you already own a car satnav by getting a pouch that mounts on the bars. Takes all the stress out of navigating and works well in the dark if needed. If you set it to avoid motorways or tolls than you are sorted.

The Black forest is enchanting and very easy to travel around in without a rigid plan. It's a lovely place that combines medieval villages and towns with smooth tarmac twisty roads that are just perfect. Getting lost is the best part of it.
    Just one thing - the first time I travelled the B500 (in a motorhome) it was pelting rain the whole way - I think it was July 2012. Second time it was glorious and we got way more out of it. We use online weathermaps (things like www.yr.no or the meteosat images) to see where the weather is coming from and where best to go to next to avoid it - if it's pissing rain somewhere we move toward where it isn't. If you are flexible with your plans then it might be something to consider. All the soaked GS riding traffic we met in 2012 made me think of this now.
    As Hodge32 says - it will be a blast and just take it easy and enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The ring is one sure way to ruin your trip if it goes tits up....just be aware.

If you crash you are responsible for all parties including clean up of track etc, its a wonderful experience but very costly if something goes wrong.

I wouldnt take the bikes out around the ring,id just go for the few hours and drool over all the other bikes and supercars and race cars there in the carpark.
    Grab a bite to eat while there and then go off touring on the surrounding roads.

Absolute heap of bikes over there now and down in the Mosel valley around the village of Alf and Cochem.

Family member has a holiday property over there and he said its jammed with bikers at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Woops, forgot to reply to this thread with the roads to look at in Switzerland.

Right the main ones in central Switzerland are:

SustenPass. A high mountain road with a very steep drop that lets you see way down into the valley below. Amazing road!

Furkapass: Have never actually taken this one as I always end up doing the longer circuit but have heard that it's very good.

Nufenen pass: Nice twisty road.

San Bernardino: A mountain road which winds slowly upwards. Not very spectatuclar views (compared to some of the others) for the most part but a very enjoyable experience.

Gottard: Very large road with a lot of traffic but well worth doing if you have the time.

Oberalp pass: A fairly short twisty section (near Andermatt) that then leads to a a fairly standard road. I wouldn't head out with the intention of doing this but if you're in the area the short twisty section near Andermatt is worth doing.

There are others but I don't recall them at the minute. All the above can be done in 1 to 2 days.

With regards to Swiss motorways, it costs 40chf (37 euro or so) and gives you access to all motorways till start of february of the following year (it's a sticker).

I have videos somewhere of all the above passes. I'll see if I can find them and post up a few of the more impressive snippets. Am out the door to Ireland at the moment for a holiday so will try to remember on my return :D

Advertisement