Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving raspberry bushes during fruiting

Options
  • 31-05-2017 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I am due to move house in about two weeks and have some raspberry bushes that I would love to take with me. All advice on gardening forums throughout the net seem to tell you to wait until autumn or spring. Could anyone advice on if it's possible to transplant at this time of the year and the best way to do it?
    I'd really appreciate any advice

Many thanks

Sarah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I would just dig them out anyway and put in a large pot. You'll probably damage the roots a bit, but I don't think raspberry bushes would be that delicate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how big are they?
    might be just as easy to buy fresh ones for your new place?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think you'll struggle to have them survive unless they are very small and young.
    If they are established it'll likely kill them and then no one gets to enjoy them.

Have to say my heart is with the idea of leaving them and buying new plants for your new gaff.

I'd have to check my book at home but I'm sure it's even the wrong time to slip them and make new plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Thanks for the replies, they are pretty high, maybe about 6ft- but there are plenty of smaller canes too, they've basically taken over a 5x5ft raised bed. I hate the thought of leaving them there, last year I only had one measly raspberry from them and this year will have about 60. They probably won't even be ripe by the time I'm leaving!!. I might try dig up a couple and leave the rest.
    Is it the same story with herbs do you think- bay leaf, chives etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I'd say you will get significant die-back but if you keep them well watered they will come back again next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Raspberries are fairly bulletproof, if you take enough of the soil with them and put them in a big pot you might even still get some fruit, but they will grow back next year for you. Chives are equally hardy, I dug up a chunk last year to dig over a bed and they grew on happily in a pot (still there). Bay is not so hardy imo, is it well established? You might see some suckers coming up that you could pot up and grow on in your new place.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

Thanks for the replies, yes the bay is fairly well established. It started off in a small pot about 4 years ago and is outside in the raised bed about 3 years with plenty of good growth. I might try take a couple of shoots from the bay. Thanks again

Advertisement