Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance on provisional

Options
  • 31-05-2017 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I just got my provisional and I'm unsure about what the law is for insurance. I'm getting mixed answers.
    I'm aware that I must drive accompanied by my parents but do I also need my own insurance or will my parents insurance cover me in the car if they are sitting beside me?
    Also, if insurance is needed for a 17 year old on a provisional, what would the punishment be if caught without one? My dad is insisting I don't need insurance if he's beside me but my friends say otherwise.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

If your parents have you named on their policy for the car you are driving then you are insured on that car. As a learner you're legally expected to have a fully licensed driver accompanying you. Driving without insurance could land you in very serious trouble with the law not to mention the dire consequences if you're involved in an accident. It's not worth it, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭E30i

You are not automatically insured on your parents car unless they have specifically named you and paid the additional premium for you.

There is no automatic cover.

If they are insured with Aviva check out their package of lessons and 6 months accompanied driving cover for €499. Good way to get started in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

If your parents have you named on their policy for the car you are driving then you are insured on that car. As a learner you're legally expected to have a fully licensed driver accompanying you. Driving without insurance could land you in very serious trouble with the law not to mention the dire consequences if you're involved in an accident. It's not worth it, ever.

Well put.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Never ever drive a car without checking that you are insured to drive it (no matter what your father may tell you). If you are caught driving without insurance you will have a conviction.

Advertisement