Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden plant in trouble

Options
  • 31-05-2017 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭

Hi I need some help with a garden plant that seems to be in a sorry state. It's a chamaerops fortunei according to label and has been planted for over two years. Lately the tips have become brown and wilted as per photos. What can I do to help bring it back to life?

34169657784_fc428ea54b_c.jpg
    34169660124_9efdc6eba0_c.jpg

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think it just needs a bit of tlc. Is it in a pot? You might repot it into a bigger pot, or put it in the ground. Give it a feed and cut off the older scruffy fronds at the bottom. Its probably mostly wind and weather damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

looksee wrote: »
    I think it just needs a bit of tlc. Is it in a pot? You might repot it into a bigger pot, or put it in the ground. Give it a feed and cut off the older scruffy fronds at the bottom. Its probably mostly wind and weather damage.

No it's planted in the ground. Maybe too much sun from the good spell of weather recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don't think our hot spell would have stressed that plant, it's from sunnier climes than ours.
    Maybe it desperately dried out but again I doubt that as it should be genetically used to drought.

I think I'd have a poke about the base and see what's going on. I've seen plants dig into poor soil where the planting hole literally becomes a bucket and drowns the plant.

Make up a good quality liquid plant feed and give it a good watering round the base, go slowly and make sure it soaks in well, repeat in 10 days and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Wailin

_Brian wrote: »
    I don't think our hot spell would have stressed that plant, it's from sunnier climes than ours.
    Maybe it desperately dried out but again I doubt that as it should be genetically used to drought.

I think I'd have a poke about the base and see what's going on. I've seen plants dig into poor soil where the planting hole literally becomes a bucket and drowns the plant.

Make up a good quality liquid plant feed and give it a good watering round the base, go slowly and make sure it soaks in well, repeat in 10 days and see how it goes.

Thanks Brian. The plant food i have is Verve plant food concentrate with seaweed extract. Is this good quality?

Wailin wrote: »
    Thanks Brian. The plant food i have is Verve plant food concentrate with seaweed extract. Is this good quality?

I'm. It familiar but I'm sure it's perfectly good. Mix it carefully to the instructions and give it a go.

Like I said, have a poke about the base and make sure it's not drowning in a planting hole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

Having issue with golden lelandi at the minute. Have brown/black patches mostly near the bottom of the tree. Anything I can do to save them?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was reading somewhere that aphids are a big problem this year and are infesting leylandi trees. Presumably you could try some sort of aphid spray, but apparently they are doing a lot of damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

It must be the aphids. Only appeared this year. Thanks.

If it's aphids you should see them, sufficient aphids to start killling sections of a plant would be easily seen.

Go through the surrounding live branches, run your finger across them along the green stems, aphids only feed on the softest easiest stem to break through.

Advertisement