Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking frozen burgers?

Options
  • 31-05-2017 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭

It's probably been asked loads of times already but I just want to be sure.

I get the Tesco burgers, the 4 backs from the fridge. I cook for myself so I'd only use one at a time but sometimes they go off fast. I'm not gonna eat them every day.

Could I freeze them and fry them up from frozen or do I have to let them thaw for 12hrs in my fridge each time?

On a side note. I cut them in half as the burgers are big, and I flatten them out before cooking. Would this make much of a difference when cooking them from frozen?

Thanks for any replies to this, probably very obvious question :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Obviously, cook as directed, if you have a freezer/cold section in your fridge, you could separate them and freeze in smaller quantities. OR(be careful with this one) cook all at the same time, make sure to not fully cook the ones you're not going to eat, chill those in a cold area and when cold, freeze. You need to be careful of how you cook them when defrosted so they dont get dried out when you finish cooking. I know purists dont like this method but a dietitian mentioned it. If you squeeze meat when you cook, it squeezes the juices out and makes the meat dry, but the fat its cooked in is probably yummy.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I would imagine you can cook from frozen as long as you cook them until they're piping hot throughout. The reason it wouldn't be recommended would be because it's likely to dry them out.

But when in doubt, follow the cooking instructions. If I were you, I'd cut them in half first, then freeze them. They'll defrost and/or cook much faster that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd defrost them in the microwave, wouldn't dream of cooking meat that was still frozen in the centre, especially mince.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'm just gonna keep them in the fridge and cook. Don't want to be giving myself food poisoning lol.

Not the most confident cook, but I've learnt how to make an awesome messy burger recently :)

Thanks for all your advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

If you buy Frozen burgers, there is no problem cooking them from frozen as per the instructions.

You would have to follow the instructions on the packet regarding whether your fresh burgers are suitable for home freezing. They normally also give advice about cooking from frozen in that case - so read the small print.

My mother buys fresh burgers from her butcher and freezes them - cooks them from frozen and has been doing that for years with no problems. But one thing with my mother, nothing is ever undercooked!!! So they would be well cooked through!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement