Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Documents required for VRT on car from NI

Options
  • 31-05-2017 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Wondering what documents I need to bring?
    I have the UK registration cert with section 9 missing
    How do they verify date of import?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

All you need is the main page of the V5 form (but not essential as you can get a V756 cert) and a makey-uppy receipt on a piece of scrap paper. All revenue need is some documentation of the date and a signature of sale

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deco_b

mullingar wrote: »
    All you need is the main page of the V5 form (but not essential as you can get a V756 cert) and a makey-uppy receipt on a piece of scrap paper. All revenue need is some documentation of the date and a signature of sale

Cheers. Guess they are just interested in getting the cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

V5.
    Proof PPS no.
    Photo ID.
    Utility bill as proof of address (not more than 6mths old).
    VRT declaration form.
    Payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

aujopimur wrote:
    V5. Proof PPS no. Photo ID. Utility bill as proof of address (not more than 6mths old). VRT declaration form. Payment.

Correct, paid the VRT on my car last Monday the above is what I needed. Simple process, just remember there is a limit on the amount of cash they will accept 200 euro I think. I paid by debit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Soarer

nhunter100 wrote: »
    Correct, paid the VRT on my car last Monday the above is what I needed. Simple process, just remember there is a limit on the amount of cash they will accept 200 euro I think. I paid by debit card.

Why didn't you wait until yesterday to do it? New month and possibly slightly less VRT to pay?

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    V5.
    Proof PPS no.
    Photo ID.
    VRT declaration form.
    Payment.

Also purchase receipt?

Soarer wrote: »
    Also purchase receipt?

purchase receipt from a private sale?

Soarer wrote:
    Why didn't you wait until yesterday to do it? New month and possibly slightly less VRT to pay?

Had the time last week, not the case this week or the next few weeks. I was happy enough to save 2500 euro going up North even with the vrt included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

aujopimur wrote: »
    V5.
    Proof PPS no.
    Photo ID.
    VRT declaration form.
    Payment.

They'll refuse a bank statement or bill if you mention you downloaded or printed it, it has to have been posted out. Just FYI.

deco_b wrote: »

Yup.

• Advertisement

rite
    You can write your own receipt, NCT/VRT office will even supply the pen and paper on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

mullingar wrote: »

Apologies if the wrong thread, I was looking for the thread that was a sticky about importing a car from U.K / NI but couldn't find it.

When buying a car from a main dealer in NI what paperwork do I need to ensure they provide?
    I seem to remember reading on the old thread that dealers were inclined to want to keep a certain form (V5?) (or part of that form) to send back to DVLA but that form would be required to register the car in the south. So I just want to ensure I get the right paperwork on the day.

Also once I bring it in do I just now need to make an appointment for the VRT at the NCT centre or do I still need to go to the local tax office (as I did eight years ago when I last did it)?
    Will they also do the NCT at the same time as they do the VRT inspection?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance, it's a while since I did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Apologies if the wrong thread, I was looking for the thread that was a sticky about importing a car from U.K / NI but couldn't find it.

When buying a car from a main dealer in NI what paperwork do I need to ensure they provide?
    I seem to remember reading on the old thread that dealers were inclined to want to keep a certain form (V5?) (or part of that form) to send back to DVLA but that form would be required to register the car in the south. So I just want to ensure I get the right paperwork on the day.

Also once I bring it in do I just now need to make an appointment for the VRT at the NCT centre or do I still need to go to the local tax office (as I did eight years ago when I last did it)?
    Will they also do the NCT at the same time as they do the VRT inspection?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Thanks in advance, it's a while since I did this.

Bought a car in Belfast a couple of weeks ago. The main thing we needed from the dealer for the VRT was indeed the V5, which our dealer neglected to give us (we weren't informed enough to ask for it specifically). So that delayed us by a few days, getting them to post it on. You'd also want an invoice from the dealer.

You can make the VRT appointment online, with no need to go to a tax office.

They didn't do the NCT at the same time, it has to be booked afterwards (it takes about 24 hours for the new registration to be 'on the system' from VRT, and you can book NCT from then).

Other than that, as listed above, you'll need photo ID, proof of address, a filled out form which they'll send you when you book VRT, and an official document with your PPS for the VRT appointment.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Bought a car in Belfast a couple of weeks ago. The main thing we needed from the dealer for the VRT was indeed the V5, which our dealer neglected to give us (we weren't informed enough to ask for it specifically). So that delayed us by a few days, getting them to post it on. You'd also want an invoice from the dealer.

You can make the VRT appointment online, with no need to go to a tax office.

They didn't do the NCT at the same time, it has to be booked afterwards (it takes about 24 hours for the new registration to be 'on the system' from VRT, and you can book NCT from then).

Other than that, as listed above, you'll need photo ID, proof of address, a filled out form which they'll send you when you book VRT, and an official document with your PPS for the VRT appointment.

Thanks for that, it explains everything clearly, it has changed quite a bit from when I last did it, I remember I had to present the car at the local tax office within 24 hour, this new system should make it a bit easier.

I checked with the dealer (VW main dealer) and he told me he'll give me the full document, he's more than familiar with the process for importing a car into the south as he says exports south are a major part of their business at the moment with the favourable exchange rate and the savings on purchases up north.

I think I have it all planned now.
    Pick up the car on Monday and drive it back (with the V5 and an invoice)
    Book the VRT inspection straight away (within 7D) bring paperwork, ID and proof of PPS
    Once the VRT inspection is done apply for NCT (to be completed within 30D)

Should be straightforward enough, thanks for the advice and apologies for the thread drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

They refused a hand written receipt from me yesterday.

The choice is official receipt or proof of shipping date. If you have neither, they will backdate the charge to last time the car was taxed in the UK.

Forgot to ask, is it ok to drive the car down here while all this is pending?
    The car will be insured in the south on its NI reg but it won't have an NCT or valid car tax in the South?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Print off the VRT inspection confirmation and carry it with you in the car. You have 30 days from the date the car comes into the country to complete the Irish registration process.

I picked up the car and booked the VRT inspection for next week.
    What happens next?
    Do I pay them the VRT at the same time as they do the inspection?
    There was no mention of a fee for the inspection (other than a no-show or cancellation fee) during the booking process, is it included in the VRT fee as calculated on the Revenue.ie website?

I picked up the car and booked the VRT inspection for next week. What happens next? Do I pay them the VRT at the same time as they do the inspection? There was no mention of a fee for the inspection (other than a no-show or cancellation fee) during the booking process, is it included in the VRT fee as calculated on the Revenue.ie website?

There is no fee for a VRT inspection just one if you fail to turn up. Make sure to have all your documentation. I know the centre I went to the max cash they would take was 200 euro. I got an idea of the ROS online service how much the VRT would be so loaded that amount on to my debit card. Happily the figure on the day was nearly 300 less than I thought I was liable for. Yes you pay the fee at the same time and they give you your Reg number. You can book the car in for an NCT within a day or two if it's liable. Pay the car tax also within a day or two as well. Just use the last 6 digits of the vin number as your pin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Quick Q. Can I book the vrt appointment and complete the transaction in the office but the car is going to be in the wife's name?

• Advertisement

Senna wrote:
    Quick Q. Can I book the vrt appointment and complete the transaction in the office but the car is going to be in the wife's name?

You need your wife to present the required ID afaik ( maybe some else can give you a more accurate answer), or you could do it all and re register the car in your wife's name.

Senna wrote: »
    o
    You will need your wifes PPS no and proof of address.

And also a letter signed by her authorising you to register it in her name according to the website...

Here's an update in case anyone might be interested in doing this. It was really very straightforward and thanks for all the advice.
    We bought the car from a main dealer in Belfast who had everything ready for import, he even had the printout showing the VRT. He knew exactly what paperwork would a be needed and had it all prepared as he told me they sell about three or four cars every day for export to the south.
    I brought the car in and booked the inspection, there were loads of appointments available. On the day I turned up but they wouldn't let me register it because the bank statement I had was more than six months old (I missed that on the website). This didn't stop the girl who was quite helpful, she went ahead and did whatever she had to do and told us to pop back later with an up to date later. We popped back the next morning and after a slight delay as there were three people in front of us also going through the importation process, she took the letter and collected the VRT and gave us the reg number.
    Down to the nearby motor factors and picked up the plates, the guy told me we were his fifth customer of the day for new plates.
    Three days later (because of the weekend) the car appeared on the car tax website and I was able to tax it and book the NCT.
    It really couldn't have been any simpler.

Did you have invoice from seller? What if it's private sale

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just scribble one up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Did you have invoice from seller? What if it's private sale
    I VRT'd mine a month ago(private purchase of UK car). I used Microsoft Word and an invoice template. The only details I put on it was the price, the make, model and spec, and most importantly the date you purchased it on.

I did not put any names of either the seller or myself.

edit: had an invoice example but the link doesn't work. rip

Looked a lot like this, only without the personal details, and company name etc.

Ok great I can sort the invoice with something like ZohoInvoice

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just scribble one up yourself.
    VRT office will provide pen and paper for your convenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm going to be VRT'ing a car tomorrow on my wifes behalf, think I have everything sorted, but has anyone any idea which form do I need VRTVPD1 or VRTVPD2?

Advertisement