Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installer for Nest

• 31-05-2017 6:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Hey I'm just looking for the name of an installer electrician for a nest thermostat (Dublin 18). I've got the thing bought and I have a 2 zone wired dumb controller in my new house. I just want the Nest to control both zones at the farms time and to control the hot water. I had once place quote me 500 eur for supply and fitting! Crazy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mfrutos

Hi,

I know this is a very old post, but did you manage to get it installed. I have bought one thinking it would be easy to find installer, but it is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Is it not just a case of phoning an electrician?

I thought it would require someone with specific knowledge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I used this guy and to reconfigure my system as I wanted, which electricireland refused to do https://www.aesl.ie/nest-pro-installer/

Thanks Fletch,

I filled in that form a couple of days ago, I hope they will call me. What is the estimated price? So far I got 3 quotes from a tradesman site, all three for 300 euros and too me that is crazy expensive. It is supposed to be a simple installation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mfrutos wrote: »
    Thanks Fletch,

I filled in that form a couple of days ago, I hope they will call me. What is the estimated price? So far I got 3 quotes from a tradesman site, all three for 300 euros and too me that is crazy expensive. It is supposed to be a simple installation.

What’s your current setup like ?
    It may be a simple DIY job.

mfrutos wrote: »

It depends on your existing setup how simple it will be to fit the nest.

Do you need it fitted to the wall rather than plugged into a USB charger - are there even existing thermostat wires? Is it really just a case of popping the existing timer off and popping the heat link in its place (this is why I don't think it's a DIY job - do you know voltage of the wires from the boiler - plenty of people fry their heat trying to fit it themselves). Do you need it to control the hot water too...

I'd say €300 sounds a bit high & maybe you could get someone to do it as a nixer.
    When I was replacing 4 light fixtures an electrician quoted me €30 each, or €120. I ended up finding an electrician who did it for a crisp €50 note.

Thanks! I believe it should be a simple job. I have seen guys replacing the same timer and thermostast with Nest. I just don't want to take the risk of doing something wrong now with the cold. I just got another quote: €360. If I can't get anything cheaper, I will wait for the summer and do it myself.

I'd say get quotes by phone and explain you just want them to swap out your clock for the nest.

You're making a mistake asking for formal quotes online. Or do it yourself, it's just a mistake can be costly if you fry your nest and still have to get an electrician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement

That is an amazing offer, but I have a 12-month contract with SSEAirtricity. I will have a look at the penalty as it might be cheaper to pay it anyways and get the electricireland offer.

Advertisement