Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken rear shifter cable

Options
  • 31-05-2017 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

My rear shifter cable snapped and the barrel part of the cable is still in the shifter (Shimano 105 shifter)- can't see it....

Is there any way to get this out or can I just thread a new cable through and hope for the best?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

My rear shifter cable snapped and the barrel part of the cable is still in the shifter (Shimano 105 shifter)- can't see it....

Is there any way to get this out or can I just thread a new cable through and hope for the best?

You'll need to get it out. Depending on what gear you were in it may be harder or easier - I've had this happen and was lucky enough to be in the small sprocket, so it dropped straight out once I rolled back the hood. If you were further up the cassette, you may have a fishing expedition in your future involving putting your bike at various weird and wonderful angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

You'll have to get the old bit out, usually there are covers that can be carefully removed to give a little more access, or your LBS will do it pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Sorted - Many thanks guys - managed to get the covers off and get the piece out - very happy !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did i bump into you near kilsallaghan on sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

did i bump into you near kilsallaghan on sunday?

Not me !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bumped into a chap out on the road on sunday whose rear derailleur cable had broken, and had to make it home on the smallest sprocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

i bumped into a chap out on the road on sunday whose rear derailleur cable had broken, and had to make it home on the smallest sprocket.

Advertisement