Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick International Food Truck Festival

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The wife and I went there last night and were very pleasantly surprised. I mentioned earlier in the thread that we were disappointed by the food festival in the Milk Market this year and the BBQ competition at Riverfest.

This was much better as the venue was bigger and they spaced things out well rather than three usual tendency to cram everything together.

We stayed about 1.5 to 2 hours, called to 3 different vans, had a drink, relaxed on the grass and went off to the pub. Good atmosphere and people seemed to be enjoying themselves. Hopefully the weather holds up for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Word of warning - avoid the lobster rolls. Goddamn ripoff you'd batter them back at the guy if you saw the pathetic excuse he is serving up.

Neck like a jockeys bollox to charge what he is charging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

He's sold out. Nice buzz up here

Pity the weather can't make up its mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

I was there this evening, aside from the weather I enjoyed it, nice food stalls and great buzz about the place.

Like most outdoor events the weather can make or break it, unfortunately, for this one the weather hasn't been kind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Word of warning - avoid the lobster rolls. Goddamn ripoff you'd batter them back at the guy if you saw the pathetic excuse he is serving up.

Neck like a jockeys bollox to charge what he is charging

No issue paying if its worth it, i got 2.

IMG_20170603_143650_1.jpg

Was there around 2pm, as i ordered he told me he only had 1 roll left, the other would be served on a burger bun. Both were served on a lidl bun.

€28.00

Missus queued in the poutin truck line next to him, she grabbed a seat and i joined her.

I was fair pissed off, she wouldn't let me go back and complain, seemingly i get too hostile when i complain. I sucked it up and had a few Harris pale Ales to ease the pain.

Be a warning to others though, dont!

Spend your money on the other stalls, they were great, great atmosphere today at lunchtime when the sun came out sitting on the hill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Jesus, that's ridiculous. Is there any traces of lobster in there? At most just seems the lettuce got a very light dressing of something that may be lobster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

oleras wrote: »
    No issue paying if its worth it, i got 2.

IMG_20170603_143650_1.jpg

Was there around 2pm, as i ordered he told me he only had 1 roll left, the other would be served on a burger bun. Both were served on a lidl bun.

€28.00

Missus queued in the poutin truck line next to him, she grabbed a seat and i joined her.

I was fair pissed off, she wouldn't let me go back and complain, seemingly i get too hostile when i complain. I sucked it up and had a few Harris pale Ales to ease the pain.

Be a warning to others though, dont!

Spend your money on the other stalls, they were great, great atmosphere today at lunchtime when the sun came out sitting on the hill.

That is a disgrace. Looks like a chicken breast sandwich from Supermacs that they didn't put a chicken breast into. I would have demanded my money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

What did lobster guy say when ye went back and complained?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

You should contact the organisers on social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Is it all food trucks or is there anything for small kids? Like carnival, balloons etc

• Advertisement

Marz66 wrote: »
    Is it all food trucks or is there anything for small kids? Like carnival, balloons etc

There's a few fairground attractions and face painting around but it's predominantly food & a beer tent.

bigpink wrote: »

I don't know, I think the first port of call is with the seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

bigpink wrote: »

I contacted the seller, who it turns out pulled out at the last minute, she was still on the flyer so the guys selling these lobster and crab rolls are not the advertised truck.

Maybe someone who is gonig in today or tomorrow can get me the name of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

Was there yesterday for a few hours and was lovely and relaxing so would definitely recommend heading in. My daughter went on the little train, the swing boats and the teacups and she got food (twisted potato stick and marshmallows, strawberries and chocolate) which altogether was about €13 so well worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭unichick

Might pop along later. 2 small kids so hopefully the toddler will be entertained. She's happy running around.

Lobster guys probably long gone if there's different trucks everyday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

I headed back in today after my disappointing visit on Friday afternoon. It was much much better today, more vans had set up, lots of families and dogs milling around. Had some nice food, kids tried the wood oven pizza, hubbie had a pretty good hotdog, poutine etc. I was going to try the Lobster Truck but glad I saw the review on here beforehand. There was something for everyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The poutine while nice is rip off
    Chips cheese gravy peppers 8 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

Went in yesterday evening and again this morning. Weather was a total washout, but the food was nice. The peoples park is always good for a stroll and was nice to see the space used for an event. Shame about the weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

How wonderful to see people actually using people's park! It was something different for the city and there was a great atmosphere there. I can't say I tasted much of the food as was on a strict diet for a triathlon yesterday but it all smelled amazing and was fairly tortuous passing all that delicious looking food!
    Well done to all the organisers. Hope its back next year

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

Went to this on Saturday afternoon. To be honest it was no different to Culture & Chips or Riverfest - food/confectionary stalls, a bar and a few kids amusement rides. It must be the same people organising every 'festival' in town because it's the same ding dong with no real thought at all put in to the arts or entertainment side of things. Once you had your food got it was pretty boring, with no entertainment to keep you there. The Peoples Park is a vast space yet everything was squeezed in to that back quarter - plenty of scope to have a real good park wide festival there with multiple bands playing throughout the park. We weren't impressed anyway and left after 2 hours. If you've been to one Limerick festival, you've been to them all. Great concept but very poorly executed. Could and should have been so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

It wouldn't be right to use the rest of the park for the festival. It would get ruined. I don't see what's wrong with having a small festival. Why exactly does it have to be massive for it to be good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Went in on Saturday afternoon but left again after about an hour. Once i had my food, Poutine which i enjoyed and a burger which was grand(14 quid for the lobster roll was a disgrace) and the kids had enjoyed the rides that was pretty much it. I actually thought it was better than what i expected after hearing some of the bad reviews but nothing compared to what it was advertised originally. There's potential there to make it a good annual festival, maybe get in a decent sized marquee for some sheltered seating, some more and varied trucks, more craft beer and it could draw in even more customers.

There was no craft beer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Went on Friday, I'd say if the weather held it would have been better. The poutine was not proper Canadian poutine, which was a pity as we travel to Quebec quite a lot and when we saw it thought, yes but it wasn't great when you are used to the real stuff.
    I liked that there were people going around picking up rubbish while we were there. There seemed to be enough seating too.
    It was a good idea and I would like to see it repeated and see how it would fair in proper sunny weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭JoeLapira

Exeggcute wrote: »
    There was no craft beer...

Treaty City was available, if it is to go ahead next year, a broader craft beer selection could help bring in more customers. It could also tie in with a more varied selection of food trucks, people attending would probably be coming to try out some new foods, meaning they could be willing to try out new beers aswell.

JoeLapira wrote: »
    Treaty City was available, if it is to go ahead next year, a broader craft beer selection could help bring in more customers. It could also tie in with a more varied selection of food trucks, people attending would probably be coming to try out some new foods, meaning they could be willing to try out new beers aswell.

All I saw was a sign advertising Guinness, Heineken, Hop House, Gin and Vodka

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mdmix

It was a bit misleading alright. I would have gotten a treaty city, but it looked like it wasn't available. i spotted the treaty city tap only after i bought a hop house. someone from treaty should have come and tagged a price onto that sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Went Saturday afternoon, , great buzz around the place for a change. The city could do with a few more summer festivals like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Townie_P

zulutango wrote: »
    It wouldn't be right to use the rest of the park for the festival. It would get ruined. I don't see what's wrong with having a small festival. Why exactly does it have to be massive for it to be good?
    The part they used didn't get ruined so why would the whole park get ruined when you'd have the traffic and footfall evenly spread out over the whole park?

And I didn't say it needed to be 'massive'. Both Riverfest and Culture&Chips are tiny festivals concentrated in small areas - what 'massive' Limerick festivals are you referring to that already exist? I'm not the only one here who has said there was nothing to keep you at this event once your food was consumed, plenty have said it.

There is good potential there for it to be a great event but there would need to be better live entertainment, street artists, more varied food trucks, craft beer and some of the prices were extortionate to say the least. I know these things have to start somewhere but this was just a rehash of existing festivals with a different name. Then again, Riverfest has great potential to be a true city wide event but they insist on cramming it all in to Arthurs Quay park with ridiculous queues for everything, so I won't be holding my breath on this getting any better either :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Townie_P wrote: »
    The part they used didn't get ruined so why would the whole park get ruined when you'd have the traffic and footfall evenly spread out over the whole park?

Just in relation to this part of your post Townie_P. The area it was held in is quite flat/open. There are small hills and more trees/flower beds in the rest of the park. Don't think it would be suitable.

Advertisement