Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying to Correct State Exams

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some of the conferences now have an 11:30 start. The SEC consider 7:00-7:30 a reasonable time to expect people to be on the road to commute to a conference. So for 11:30 start you should be able to commute to Athlone from pretty much anywhere in the country regardless of distance.

For a 9:15 start that isn't possible, to come from a long distance without travelling the night before, or of course if you were willing to get up very early and drive that morning. So with a 9:15 start you would get the overnight for >100km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bean Scoile

Dog95 wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply, I am living just about over 100km away so think I am entitled, it is just the bit I quoted in last post that has me concerned. I am going to ring them tomorrow anyway to make sure.

When do you normally get your Night Allowance and Travel fees?

A lot of the conferences start at 10.30, with the same line about obviating the necessity for an overnight, so I think with a 9.30 start you would be justified in staying over. I think the general rule is that if you can leave your house at 7.30 or later, an overnight is not justified.

You get an advance within 5 days of the conference. This is €400 for new employees of the sec, and €900 for returning correctors. The remainder of what you are owed is put on your expenses sheet at the end of the marking, and you will get it in September/October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Cheers for the reply, I am living just about over 100km away so think I am entitled, it is just the bit I quoted in last post that has me concerned. I am going to ring them tomorrow anyway to make sure.

When do you normally get your Night Allowance and Travel fees?

Make sure you calculate the distance from whichever is nearest- your school/home
    You won't get any expenses until final payment in the autumn but generally an advance is paid 5 working post conference I think it is. Not sure how advance works if you're just reserve though
    ETA if staying over make sure to price the SEC rate but check the likes of booking.com etc also

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dog95

A lot of the conferences start at 10.30, with the same line about obviating the necessity for an overnight, so I think with a 9.30 start you would be justified in staying over. I think the general rule is that if you can leave your house at 7.30 or later, an overnight is not justified.

You get an advance within 5 days of the conference. This is €400 for new employees of the sec, and €900 for returning correctors. The remainder of what you are owed is put on your expenses sheet at the end of the marking, and you will get it in September/October.

Make sure you calculate the distance from whichever is nearest- your school/home
    You won't get any expenses until final payment in the autumn but generally an advance is paid 5 working post conference I think it is. Not sure how advance works if you're just reserve though
    ETA if staying over make sure to price the SEC rate but check the likes of booking.com etc also

Thanks for the replies. According to google maps I'm 114km away and school is a bit further. Id imagine that's fairly reliable?

On staying over - Leaving at 7.30 would probably be possible if I was driving, but even then would be pushing it. I'll be commuting down though so there wouldn't be any hope of me being able to leave that late on the morning of it. Don't know whether they take that into consideration or not.

I doubt if I'll be getting an advance, I am getting a fee for being standby providing I end up not getting any exams, that will probably be when the rest of the last payments are made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

On staying over - Leaving at 7.30 would probably be possible if I was driving, <snip>

Does this mean you do not have a car?
    Without mentioning the subject or exam involved, if you're due to return to Dublin with (or without) papers on Friday afternoon, I'd be happy to give you a lift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

They don't care how you get there, they don't take it into consideration. It's up to you to get there by public transport or your own car. All they care about when calculating costs is when the conference starts and how far you are from the conference.

You will know tomorrow anyway if you are going to get papers, they'll check at the start of the conference to see if there are no shows, and if there is one then you will be promoted (assuming you are the only standby).

spurious wrote: »
    Does this mean you do not have a car?
    Without mentioning the subject or exam involved, if you're due to return to Dublin with (or without) papers on Friday afternoon, I'd be happy to give you a lift.

Thanks very much for the offer, but my conference is on Monday morning!
    They don't care how you get there, they don't take it into consideration. It's up to you to get there by public transport or your own car. All they care about when calculating costs is when the conference starts and how far you are from the conference.

You will know tomorrow anyway if you are going to get papers, they'll check at the start of the conference to see if there are no shows, and if there is one then you will be promoted (assuming you are the only standby).

I imagined that would be the case. I'll ring tomorrow and find out, it's not really worth my while going down unless I can get the Night Allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

If you can get to town there's a city link bus that gets to Athlone for 9am, I've used it the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Thanks very much for the offer, but my conference is on Monday morning!

I imagined that would be the case. I'll ring tomorrow and find out, it's not really worth my while going down unless I can get the Night Allowance.
    You'll get the night allowance even if you only go down in the morning of the conference. You'll get an o/night plus travel and a day conference rate, most of that is tax free nd even without papoers you will have €300+ for the days work, is it a 2 day conference? You'd be mental not to imo if you can get down.

There are lots of options to get you there

https://national.buseireann.ie/?originStop=13500&destinationstop=&ticketType=1&departdate=03-jul-2017&departtime=0400&returndate=&returntime=&adult=1&child=0&student=0&family=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Correct me if I'm wrong... when I did it a few years back the AE said that you can claim the fee for tolls but if they see the date was that morning of the conference then you wont get an overnight allowance! Is that right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong... when I did it a few years back the AE said that you can claim the fee for tolls but if they see the date was that morning of the conference then you wont get an overnight allowance! Is that right?

Don't claim tolls!! Just mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

First time marking exams and sorta regretting the decision now after reading this thread!

How long do the conferences usually last? and do you need receipts to claim for overnight stays?

First time marking exams and sorta regretting the decision now after reading this thread!

How long do the conferences usually last? and do you need receipts to claim for overnight stays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

TheKells wrote: »

It may not be that bad ... depending on your subject. Conferences last for the day. You won't become a millionaire doing it but the experience is beneficial for your classroom. Just keep the deadlines and follow the directions of your advising examiner and you'll be fine. Best of luck.

Regarding overnights - I don't claim them but I would assume that you would have to provide receipts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

TheKells wrote: »

Depends on your subject. Some last two days. You don't have the have the receipt for the overnight as once you live over a certain distance you become eligible for the overnight.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I was just wondering what time they run on to in the day. It's only a single day conference but it's a good bit away - 217km each way according to google maps.

Every subject is different , some 4 /5pm. Once you stay on top of things and work ahead it isn't as bad. So don't let this board put you off:)

217 is a lot one way. Your head will be tired and full of information going home, if you can stay over the night before so it won't be as hard on you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reiterating what Crazyteacher says, whatever you do, meet your deadlines in the first week. It gets easier, but if you fall badly behind early, you're banjaxed. Ask your Advising Examiner for help. That's what they are there for.

I would also suggest getting the number of another person in your group, for support when it all seems like it's too much.

Someone told me that everyone is taxed the same on the marking regardless of income.. That cant be true is it? I am correcting at the moment but I was doing PME last year so income will be way below teachers working full time. I wont get taxed the full whack will I?

• Advertisement

Contact revenue and they will sort your tax credits over for you to the SEC. Their employer number is on the letter on appointment. Even if you don't get it sorted in time, revenue will give you the tax back in the new year.

Advertisement