Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rima Slow Cooker

Options
  • 31-05-2017 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I was given a Rima Slow Cooker about 20 years ago and it has lived at the back of the cupboard since then. Its quite small compared to modern ones, and it only holds 1.5 ltrs. I used it only once for chilli con carne and thought it was overcooked. I've pulled it out now and wonder if I should keep it or get rid of it as there is nothing online about Rima except this one negative post on a blog:

http://www.cookingwithkarl.co.uk/Cooking/html/Diary/index.php?page=53

Going by that blog it looks like this is inefficient and maybe I should buy a new one. I know, I'm the one who is inefficient keeping this for so long. :rolleyes: Anyone got any experience of these vintage yokes, or advice for a newbie to slow cooking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I was given a Rima Slow Cooker about 20 years ago and it has lived at the back of the cupboard since then. Its quite small compared to modern ones, and it only holds 1.5 ltrs. I used it only once for chilli con carne and thought it was overcooked. I've pulled it out now and wonder if I should keep it or get rid of it as there is nothing online about Rima except this one negative post on a blog:

http://www.cookingwithkarl.co.uk/Cooking/html/Diary/index.php?page=53

Going by that blog it looks like this is inefficient and maybe I should buy a new one. I know, I'm the one who is inefficient keeping this for so long. :rolleyes: Anyone got any experience of these vintage yokes, or advice for a newbie to slow cooking?

I'd be inclined to get a new one if I was you, 1.5L is very small and it sounds a bit unreliable :(. Argos has a highly rated Cookworks 3.5 litre for ?21. I

There are good recipes in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055468379

I use mine a lot! Everything from bread to risotto, defrosting bread rolls, whole chickens...pulled pork (there is a great recipe in the Cooking club by Sparks for that!). And check out post #923 on the 'Here's what I had for dinner' thread for a lovely lamb stew recipe! I use it more than my oven.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

1.5L is tiny for a slow cooker. I think the smallest one nowadays is 3.5L. I'd buy a new one if I were you, and if you need convincing have a look at the Slow Cooker Recipe megathread HERE

The most important thing to remember when using a slow cooker is to use only half the amount of liquid you'd use if you were cooking on a hob or in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thank you for your replies. Well, I sort of thought as much really. I may as well give the space to a zonking great new one that is more reliable. Wish me luck!

Advertisement