Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cause for concern ? gfx card seemed to die

Options
  • 31-05-2017 9:23pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭

While playing the newly released rising storm 2 Vietnam this evening i got a black screen, ctrl-alt-delete etc wouldn't work so i had to force my rig down.

When i rebooted i noticed colours were back to default and not what i had set via Nvidia control panel, next step head to said NVidia control panel but no control panel was to be found, strange ?

Next step was to pop open the case and no fans on my EVGA gtx 970 were running so i assumed it was dead.

Ive since installed latest drivers [i know i should do anyways but if it aint broke etc] i was running drivers maybe 3 months old at the most, last i changed was for ghost recon wildlands which is pretty recent.

After new driver install card came to life and was ok for a quick 10 min game just now.

Have i cause for concern?

Ive never seen this happen before, ie black screen/reboot/Nvidia driver practically disappeared/GPU seemed dead/latest driver install and so far so good.

Was it just a driver issue?

I meant to say i rebooted 3-4 times before considering new driver install,each time it appeared as if no gfx card driver was present, ie no control panel and default colours etc.

I'm afraid to play rising storm 2 Vietnam now :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is the card showing up in device manager? Should be under graphics adapters

That should tell you weather the PC sees the card or not. Ive had it happen before that the nvidia control panel goes missing. Updating geforce experience fixed it for me iirc. I blame using multiple monitors bug for the time it happened me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah its in device manager, played for an hour or so of overwatch lastnight after and all was well, never seen drivers act that way before hence I feared the worst.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

In terms of the drivers, it sounds like Windows reset it back to being identified as a default VGA device. That alone, while annoying, isn't a major issue.

But the black screen sounds like the card itself crashed or locked up. If that's anything other than a one-off, that should be cause for concern.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Basically at the time it was using your GPU drivers when it crashed. So in a little hissy fit it set a new profile up for your GPU and set it back to default waiting for your input with drivers etc. I'd say you will be grand but having a look in the system log should show something up regarding the GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Since the latest update my 1080 has gone to 80c normally 50c when playing any game.

I was running drivers minus 1 so wasnt that far behind, new drivers sort of helped its about 70c now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

50C is quite low for a 1080 tbh,especially if you havent limited its clock speeds or set a thermal limit. Unless its under water that is.

What res you playing at? If its 1080p that might explain the low temps

Advertisement