Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aunt diagnosis

• 31-05-2017 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭

My aunt has just been diagnosed with terminal illness. Aggressive tumour growth initially in leg, now 'spots' on various stomach organs eg lung. They say they cannot do anything to treat her- nothing. I cannot recall exactly what he labelled her illness. Obviously cancer of some sort, but he throw out name I had never heard of before. I would have needed pen on day to jot down, and was in shock. I don t understand any of this. Can anyone offer insight, perhaps from similar situation, or otherwise? Like he said it would not respond to treatment :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

My father has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Weeks to live - but in total denial.

In answer to your question, your aunt would have been allocated a cancer nurse, you can ring her any time (work hours).
    Palliative will kick in very quickly. District nurse, social worker, homecare package. They, with your aunts permission, will explain everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

With your aunts permission given, you could speak to her gp or palliative care team. Palliative care will call to her at home so it would be good for you or another family member to be there for some of the visits to get the information you need and keep in the loop. Also it's a good idea for another person to have a list of her medication and dosage to ensure she is taking it as prescribed. The reason I say this is I had a family member who initially didn't take enough as they thought they could manage without, and who near the end was overdosing as they were in a lot of pain. Will you be helping to care for your aunt?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you were present with your aunt when she was given the original diagnosis you may already be in a position of trust and could contact the doctor to ask for clarification - it is quite reasonable that you might not have grasped all the details at the time.

Advertisement