Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak door frame

Options
  • 31-05-2017 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for ideas on sourcing/making an oak door frame about 80mm rather than the standard 100mm 4 inch frame.

I have a 3 inch pre fabricated acorn partition wall that needs a frame.

I can buy a standard door lining kit and cut a piece from the middle, the join would be behind the door stop.

Are there any other options for this?

Planning on fitting a deanta oak door in the frame.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Get a 2 or 3" plank of oak, you can cut your own width out of it and cut a rebate into it then, or run another piece off and plant it on. Might work out a bit more expensive than a standard oak frame, but if you're going to be ripping and gluing a 4" frame it'll be about the same amount of work, and you'll have a solid frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finbarr24

Hi dublindilbert
    If you are planing on using oak door frame I would definitely suggest solid oak for the width you need they are only slightly more in price then the veneered oak (not a great option) as veneer will peel with time
    If you are thinking about getting veneered oak door frame and cutting it down centre that means you can't hide the frame fixings behind the stop and chances are the frame will cup or bow as it's very hard to proper fix it without using plenty of screws
    Is there many required

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Finbarr24

Hi dublindilbert
    Just wondering did you get sorted with oak frames?
    Regards

Advertisement