Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change in Attitude

Options
  • 01-06-2017 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I've been temping in the same company for almost 4 years now.
    Until January of this year it was a pleasant environment.

However once January came the atmosphere changed to hostile over night.

My behaviour hasn't changed but my line manager became rude towards me for no reason that I can think of. He blanked me most of the time but when he does speak to me he's rude and aggressive.

I spoke to his manager about it and tbh he didn't want to know.
    My line manager's behaviour is awful. I'm looking for a new job.

All Advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

First question would be why didnt you speak to the manager?
    I work in HR and im always amazed by the issues that could have been resolved by the two adults just talking to each other.
    this passive aggressive nonsense of I spoke to their manager i just dont get, youre an adult, ask the person is there an issue between you, that you feel there might be something that needs to be addressed. you never know whats going on in peoples lives and there might be something really simple going on or you might have said or done something without realizing it that pissed him/her off.
    he could always just be a tool and is ignoring you but ask and if you dont get an answer then go to their manager or HR if it bothers you and is impacting your day to day at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

I have tried to address the issue with my line manager but he won't speak to me.

As for HR it exists in name only in this firm everything is passed back to the senior manager.

Jrop wrote: »
    I have tried to address the issue with my line manager but he won't speak to me.

As for HR it exists in name only in this firm everything is passed back to the senior manager.
    sorry you didnt say that in your first post, I can only go on what i read.
    so your line manager is ignoring you at work, you addressed it with them and they ignored you, you presented the issue to your line managers, manager and they didnt want to know.
    What advise do you want?
    I can tell you to ignore it and move on, you've already said your looking for a new job.
    would you stay if his behaviour improved?
    when you spoke to his manager did you say it was impacting your work or your ability to do your job? did you say it makes for an uncomfortable working environment?
    did he say ah just get on with it, or i dont want to know, or let him off he's having a bad time.
    short of going another level above and raising a formal complaint im not sure what else you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

The senior manager's attitude was very dismissive and he didn't seem remotely interested.

Thank you for your help. I thought the next step would be a formal complaint but I'm concerned if I raise this issue and then leave I may not get a good reference.

thats your choice, if your leaving anyway why bother? he wont be your problem anymore.
    you could always push it with the other manager and see if he'd have a quiet word

• Advertisement
Advertisement