Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road resurfaced from Glencree'ish to Sally gap.....

Options
  • 01-06-2017 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭

:mad:
    Just a heads up or if anyone has any links to WW co co for further information...
    Road was closed yesterday to do a cheap and nasty job on resurfacing (road sprayed with bitumen and pebble dashed)...it could just be a job before they finish it with a nice tarmac finish but potentially I doubt it?
    Dont know exactly where it starts as i turned back but the whole climb from the base up by Lough Bray car park/viewing point is done and from last week the other car park near Sally gap had a load of chippings stored there......
    Any further info would be great?

Oh and same for the back road from Ballynasmutton bridge round to Lacken above the lakes....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Meant to post the other week (but got distracted) that they had done pot hole filling between Sally Gap and Lough Bray with fine gravel that was particularly sketchy, and hard to see if the road was wet. I'd take the full on chip and tar resurfacing over that tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

:mad:
    Just a heads up or if anyone has any links to WW co co for further information...
    Road was closed yesterday to do a cheap and nasty job on resurfacing (road sprayed with bitumen and pebble dashed)...it could just be a job before they finish it with a nice tarmac finish but potentially I doubt it?
    Dont know exactly where it starts as i turned back but the whole climb from the base up by Lough Bray car park/viewing point is done and from last week the other car park near Sally gap had a load of chippings stored there......
    Any further info would be great?

Oh and same for the back road from Ballynasmutton bridge round to Lacken above the lakes....

I hope they filled the holes/craters on the Sorrell hill road before they put down the tar and chip

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

yeah i was stopped from climbing to the gap yesterday, had noted a big dirty pile of loose chippings in a lay-by last weekend. that chipseal usually takes a month or so to bed in, but given the relative lack of traffic on the gap it could take longer. going to avoid it for a while anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah that's what they stopped me for yesterday too. Was wondering what 'works' they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

nilhg wrote: »
    I hope they filled the holes/craters on the Sorrell hill road before they put down the tar and chip

Came down it very slowly holes all filled but awaiting tar and chippings....
    6 months before i take it on again mind..........;)

• Advertisement

Descending on a cheese grater ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Damn it when i saw that thread title i was thinking "Great, they really needed a smoother surface between the featherbeds and the turn off for enniskerry". ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

gah! - "surface dressing" is the tool of the devil. Not just because of the loose debris, but as it wears down it becomes pockmarked with bare patches that are a bugger to cycle on (see practically every small road in Wicklow; the road from Newcastle to Rathnew is particularly bad though).

When it hasn't worn away, the large size of the chippings gives a really rough surface - even in a car it's really noisy and must cause extra tyre wear. In Wicklow they seem to surface dress the roads on a schedule whether the road needs it or not - I've seen them do it on roads that had perfectly fine smooth asphalt beforehand. I'd almost rather have a smoothish road with a few potholes that can be avoided than endless KMs of teeth-rattling chippings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They've recently done the same between Ballyboughal and Oldtown and just today I saw they've done it between Maynooth and Dunboyne on about a 3 km stretch. Was on my Touring bike today with nice big tyres so wasn't too bothered, but was uncomfortable last week on the other bike.

Also what happens is a load of chippings end up being pushed out towards the left where many traditionally cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah I nearly came off a couple of times heading from Maynooth to Dunboyne a few weeks ago going over the loose chippings that had pooled in one place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Folks any chance you could post up the affected segments?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭depadz

Came down military road from sally gap today. Avoid. Inch deep loose chippings for 1km along steepest parts of hill. Military road from rathfarnham ok if take first left for glencree or second for djouce. Sally gap ok from kippure side.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Is there anything that can be done about this? Anyone we can contact or lobby to get this ridiculousness sorted? Those roads are so popular with cyclists that it's mind-boggling that they still persist with this method of resurfacing.

Wicklow county-council are on twitter but targetting that would probably be futile.

Or do we have to wait until someone breaks their neck and takes a civil action against the county council? This has effectively rendered that stretch of road a no-go area for the rest of the summer. It beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1bryan wrote: »
    Is there anything that can be done about this? Anyone we can contact or lobby to get this ridiculousness sorted? Those roads are so popular with cyclists that it's mind-boggling that they still persist with this method of resurfacing.

Wicklow county-council are on twitter but targetting that would probably be futile.

Or do we have to wait until someone breaks their neck and takes a civil action against the county council? This has effectively rendered that stretch of road a no-go area for the rest of the summer. It beggars belief.

Report Here:
    http://fixyourstreet.ie/

Wicklow CoCo are meant to then respond within a reasonable timeframe.

ED E wrote: »
    Report Here:
    http://fixyourstreet.ie/

Wicklow CoCo are meant to then respond within a reasonable timeframe.

thanks. Report submitted.

just got this reply
    Wicklow County Council Customer Care (Jun 2 2017)
    Thank you for your comment which has been forwarded to Bray Municipal District.

They're monitoring their inbox at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Is it the road from sally gap to Laragh?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It might just be temporary. They resurfaced some roads last summer with nice smooth tarmac just in time for the WW200 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Weepsie wrote: »
    It might just be temporary. They resurfaced some roads last summer with nice smooth tarmac just in time for the WW200 I think.

usually they leave it for a few weeks to allow traffic to beds in the chippings then they come back and sweep up remaining loose debris (though this is often a half assed job). If they were planning a proper resurfacing job they wouldn't be putting down chippings.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »

they did a really good job on sections of that road last year. I thought the 'loose chipping' method was some cheap-assed way of getting by when budgets were tight. With the improved resurfacing from last year I'd hoped we wouldn't see that happening again.

They did the same on the western side of the wicklow gap a couple of years back. I also remember a section between sally gap and kilbride, and another just at the bottom of glenmacnass, between sally gap and laragh. Those sections seem ok now. Hopefully they'll get this sorted sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

If you don't pay road tax then you don't have any basis for complaint :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I didn't think that some of the asphalt surfaces held up that great up there to be honest - probably need an awful lot of investment in the base. Although that section between Glenmacnass and Sally Gap which I assumed was temporary has held up ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can never understand how the council's don't need to do a safety statement or safety plan for these types of works. Let's throw several tonnes of loose chippings onto a road sure there's no issue if we stick up a temporary lower limit, not realising that it's lethal for anyone on 2 wheels and people pushing buggies will struggle. Then there's the risk of getting hit with a sharp stone flicked up by tyres. As said it'll take someone being seriously injured before they are made to stop.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I can never understand how the council's don't need to do a safety statement or safety plan for these types of works. Let's throw several tonnes of loose chippings onto a road sure there's no issue if we stick up a temporary lower limit, not realising that it's lethal for anyone on 2 wheels and people pushing buggies will struggle. Then there's the risk of getting hit with a sharp stone flicked up by tyres. As said it'll take someone being seriously injured before they are made to stop.

HSWA covers mainly employees not the public, they have to do a safety analysis while working, but not what the result of the works will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

Yeah I nearly came off a couple of times heading from Maynooth to Dunboyne a few weeks ago going over the loose chippings that had pooled in one place.

This is part of my daily commute... now ruined by this nonsensical road covering :mad:

got a response just now saying the loose chippings were swept away today. It's supposedly much better than it was with 'fewer' loose chippings than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

got a response just now saying the loose chippings were swept away today. It's supposedly much better than it was with 'fewer' loose chippings than before.

"swept" Was up there this evening, and enjoyed a delightful amount of wheel spin while climbing the gap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Went up this morning. It's fairly doable but I wouldn't attempt any standing climbing.

Saw one guy coming down and he was struggling to control the bike. I'll be very surprised if a few people don't come off on that descent today.

• Advertisement

this is the exact response I got
    Surface dressing is the standard means of resealing and restoring skid resistance on rural roads. The engineer in charge has given assurance that the design and implementation of the works are in accordance with the guidelines. The operation by its nature will have loose chippings immediately after laying. Hence the reason for the extensive warning signs and advisory speed limit of 25kph. These signs will remain in place until there is adequate embedment and adhesion of the stone chippings in the tar and excess chippings swept off the road. Early sweeping was carried out today of some excess chips on the work that was carried out on Wednesday. I am informed that laying conditions were better and there are fewer loose chippings today. The quality of the finished surface will be apparent at the final sweeping within two weeks of completion of surface dressing the final section of the road.

Advertisement