Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road resurfaced from Glencree'ish to Sally gap.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Daithi101

Cycled that stretch today and it made for tough work. Not a hope of standing in the pedals and there seems to be a build up now of loose chippings in the bends. Looked to be very shaky for some people descending.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Hauki

I was heading up to Sally today through Enniskerry and Glencree. Road looked like absolute crap so decided to do a 180 degree turn and head to Featherbeds and back towards home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Perhaps it's a plan to keep cyclists off the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Sorry lads, where exactly is this? If I head up Stocking lane past the viewing point and on to Kippure, is it on that stretch?
    Really can't understand why they would use chip and seal when they were able to use nice smooth, evenly graded asphalt on the stretches on the way towards Laragh? I don't buy into the idea that our climate would adversely affect the asphalt when it is used extensively in harsher climates in the mountains in Spain and France.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

Was this way yesterday. The gravel starts before the cottage at Lower Lough Tay and runs all the way up to the climb past Upper Lough Tay. Slippey on the way up and really dodge on the way down, had to inch down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 alanjgalbraith

Tar & Larger Chip with loads of loose gravel on all of this section https://www.strava.com/segments/664543 ... From Kippure to the gap crossroads, it's not too bad with just small sections with less loose gravel and finer chippings which I assume was done a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if everyone on this thread lodges a complaint on http://www.wicklow.ie/fix-your-street hopefully it will persuade them to go back up and tidy it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

is this on the ww200 route ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Montpelier Hill

Was on this route on sunday and came across a lady who was walking her bike down from Sally gap because of the slippery surface, they really do need to fix this

Suggest anyone with a wicklow address to write to their local councillor:

http://www.wicklow.ie/elected-council-members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Limestone1 wrote: »

no, not this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

The bit I can't understand is that there were a couple of really smooth recently resurfaced sections that are now ripped up for this new gravel driveway. Living in hope that they might yet put a layer of tar on top...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 dcp

Limestone1 wrote: »

No.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21083408

• Registered Users Posts: 43 dcp

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Sorry lads, where exactly is this? If I head up Stocking lane past the viewing point and on to Kippure, is it on that stretch?

Yes. It starts just after the turn off for Glencree and lasts all the way to Sally Gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭-K2-

One positive thing to note: the climb from Powerscourt waterfall https://www.strava.com/segments/800547 has been resurfaced properly. Very smooth and a nice climb.

-K2- wrote: »
    One positive thing to note: the climb from Powerscourt waterfall https://www.strava.com/segments/800547 has been resurfaced properly. Very smooth and a nice climb.

where does Strava get it's elevation data from - it reckons parts of that climb are 28%! It's steep but it's not that steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Strava gets its data from the person who created the segment. If their GPS signal bounced off the side of a hill or something it could throw the data off a fair bit. Only way to remedy it is flag the segment and create a new one with better data

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, i've often wondered why they don't finesse the data as more people cycle the segment. this is the worst example i know of, a 0.4km segment with a 30% gradient. starts at - (minus) 111m.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6089358

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭buffalo

One of the guys in our club just posted about a lot of sand on the road surface by the Viewing Point making it pretty sketchy.

Apparently from the sandbags holding down the 'road closed' signs from last week.

• Advertisement

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Strava gets its data from the person who created the segment. If their GPS signal bounced off the side of a hill or something it could throw the data off a fair bit. Only way to remedy it is flag the segment and create a new one with better data

OK - there's a few segments I've seen that are marked as "climbs" when they're actually flat or downhill, that would explain it. I assumed Strava were using some geo-survey or mapping data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Currently also closed from Sally Gap to Glenmacnass for resurfacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dreddie

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there is a similar surface on the descent from Slieve Maan heading west for about 3-4k. I had the pleasure of descending it on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

loyatemu wrote: »
    OK - there's a few segments I've seen that are marked as "climbs" when they're actually flat or downhill, that would explain it. I assumed Strava were using some geo-survey or mapping data.

For the nerds:

GPS(GNSS more globally) has two "accuracy values", well two that matter, HDOP and VDOP. H being horizontal and V being vertical. These can be translated to an estimate of error but the critical bit is the constellation is much better horizontally than vertically. A smartphone is doing very well if its got you down to a 3m radius horizontally but at the same time it may have you in a 30m radius vertically. For aviation or a tank, doesnt matter. For a strava segment a 30m climb over 50m vs a 30m descent over 50m are two very different things.

If anyones interested in fixing segments get a decent BT receiver (10Hz ones are handy) and fit it to the top of your helmet on a fine day. You'll find its a lot closer than the phone mounted on your bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Plastik wrote: »

While i'm happy their resurfacing the road i hope its not just another dressing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

ED E wrote: »
    For aviation or a tank, doesnt matter. For a strava segment a 30m climb over 50m vs a 30m descent over 50m are two very different things.

Die hard 2 begs to differ...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭df

Was up the section between Glencree and the Kippure gates last night and today. It has bedded in well now but here is still a bit of gravel in the margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Plastik wrote: »

smooth tarmac, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

ED E wrote: »
    For the nerds:

GPS(GNSS more globally) has two "accuracy values", well two that matter, HDOP and VDOP. H being horizontal and V being vertical. These can be translated to an estimate of error but the critical bit is the constellation is much better horizontally than vertically. A smartphone is doing very well if its got you down to a 3m radius horizontally but at the same time it may have you in a 30m radius vertically. For aviation or a tank, doesnt matter. For a strava segment a 30m climb over 50m vs a 30m descent over 50m are two very different things.

I don't understand why they don't just use the altitude data from their maps based on the x.y coordinates. This is for cycling and running not flying so we can be fairly confident that the users are at or close the ground. The only potential issue is bridges (are they on the bridge or under it) but that seems minor compared to taking the GPS receiver's word that the user is 30m above the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

yeah, i've often wondered why they don't finesse the data as more people cycle the segment. this is the worst example i know of, a 0.4km segment with a 30% gradient. starts at - (minus) 111m.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6089358

Assuming that Strava uses the same satellites and transponders as the phone system, finessing data won't do a hell of a lot of good at Powerscourt. I have a buddy who lives up that way, and her phone calls from her car (on handsfree) break down every day in two places: Powerscourt waterfall road and the Rocky Valley.

Advertisement