Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Media Player

Options
  • 01-06-2017 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

I hope this is the right place to put this thread. Couldn't find a "Media Player" section.

My Dune HD media player as decided to stop recognising it's internal HDD. Strangely, when I connect the Dune as a slave to my laptop, the hdd is completely accessible. So something's gone wrong somewhere, and at least the HDD is salvageable.

What I'm looking for?
    4K/HDR/3D (passthru) output.
    One or more internal bays for HDDs.
    A few USB ports to connect external devices.
    Networkable.
    Ability to access externally via IP address?

Don't know if such a thing exists, and/or how much it would cost. But all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Moved here - this is more oriented towards media players. Please take careful note of the stickey which prohibits discussion of Kodi addons or other means of obtains subscription services with paying for them. If in doubt, it probably doesn't belong here.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

Cheers Ritz.

No interest in the kodi stuff, and thought this section was only for PC related stuff.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

No problem, it was htpc oriented originally, plenty of discussion of other media players as they have become more numerous in the market.

Ritz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

You're looking for too much from a single media player. Get a Nvidia shield tv and a Nas for the ultimate setup

You're looking for too much from a single media player. Get a Nvidia shield tv and a Nas for the ultimate setup

Cheers for the suggestion.
    The Shield I can understand.
    Any suggestions for a cheap and cheerful NAS setup?

• Advertisement

Soarer wrote: »
    Cheers for the suggestion.
    The Shield I can understand.
    Any suggestions for a cheap and cheerful NAS setup?

You can go big money on a Nas setup but there are options on Ebay for cheap and cheerful like this:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/D-Link-ShareCenter-2-Bay-Cloud-Network-Storage-Enclosure-DNS-320L-NAS-Server-0GB-/251884582421?hash=item3aa57db615:g:26sAAOSw5VFWK8qZ

Ebay is blocked here in work, so will check that out later.

Are all NAS 4K capable? Or do they just spit out whatever's stored on them with no processing, and your amp/tv does the processing?

Ebay is blocked here in work, so will check that out later.

Are all NAS 4K capable? Or do they just spit out whatever's stored on them with no processing, and your amp/tv does the processing?

A Nas is just a storage device does no processing, just serves files on the network.

You can set the Nvidia Shield up as a Plex server, this will allow you to direct stream and transcode to other TV's and devices, even outside your home.
    https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288286-What-is-Plex-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1XarhCUL8o

Sorry to annoy you again. What about a "ready made" NAS like a Western Digital My Cloud linked to the Shield. Would that work?

Sorry to annoy you again. What about a "ready made" NAS like a Western Digital My Cloud linked to the Shield. Would that work?

Yep, or you can also just add a decent Usb 3.0 storage to the Shield. I've added a 64GB Usb key to mine as I already have plenty of network storage. The Shield gives the option of adopting the key as extended Android storage and can share it across the network from the Shield for other devices.

• Advertisement

Bought a WD Cloud yoke the other day. Should be here in the next couple of days.

Also ordered a new Xbox One S. Don't know what that's like as a media player, but hopefully it'll be ok.

Don't think the WD Cloud is gonna suit my needs...and tis my own fault for not reading the specs.
    Unless someone can explain to me otherwise....
    It's not possible to attach it to the tv via USB as the USB port seems to be a master port.
    It's not possible to "drag & drop" stuff onto it. It needs to be "uploaded", which is a PITA.

So I'm wondering if I should just remove the 2x2TB HDDs and caddy them up as normal drives. Don't know what connections they use though.

Balls anyway.

Don't think the WD Cloud is gonna suit my needs...and tis my own fault for not reading the specs.
    Unless someone can explain to me otherwise....
    It's not possible to attach it to the tv via USB as the USB port seems to be a master port.
    It's not possible to "drag & drop" stuff onto it. It needs to be "uploaded", which is a PITA.

So I'm wondering if I should just remove the 2x2TB HDDs and caddy them up as normal drives. Don't know what connections they use though.

Balls anyway.

Is it not a network storage device? Connect it to your network and you'll be able to access it by ip address

Advertisement