Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Tenancy?

Options
  • 01-06-2017 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

I was renting single room (3 bed apartment) for the last two years. 2 weeks ago I took full tenancy over the apartment, moving in with my girlfriend. Is this considered a new joint tenancy or a continuation of my existing tenancy? Wondering about security of tenure - Part 4 etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I was renting single room (3 bed apartment) for the last two years. 2 weeks ago I took full tenancy over the apartment, moving in with my girlfriend. Is this considered a new joint tenancy or a continuation of my existing tenancy? Wondering about security of tenure - Part 4 etc.

Continuing tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

Continuing tenancy.

Not sure how you can work that out based on the limited information from the OP?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

C3PO wrote: »
    Not sure how you can work that out based on the limited information from the OP?

I concur.
    The original scenario would more normally be considered to be a licensee agreement- rather than a tenancy- unless the OP was a co-signator to a lease for the entire unit.
    More information needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I concur.
    The original scenario would more normally be considered to be a licensee agreement- rather than a tenancy- unless the OP was a co-signator to a lease for the entire unit.
    More information needed.

The o/P says he was renting. He is entitled to benefit from the rules regarding multiple tenants. The only possible exception would be if the landlord had been living with the O/P until the GF moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭C3PO

The o/P says he was renting. He is entitled to benefit from the rules regarding multiple tenants. The only possible exception would be if the landlord had been living with the O/P until the GF moved in.

Even if he was subletting from whoever signed the lease?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To confirm; you went from rent a room, to renting the entire apartment?
    Or have you gone from rent a room, to renting multiple rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

the_syco wrote: »
    To confirm; you went from rent a room, to renting the entire apartment?
    Or have you gone from rent a room, to renting multiple rooms?

Sorry should have been clearer. Yes I was renting a room and I'm now renting the entire apartment. No lease in place for either arrangement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

To understand further...did you ever have a lease in place for the room when you started? How did you come to rent a room there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

To understand further...did you ever have a lease in place for the room when you started? How did you come to rent a room there?

No never had a lease. My brothers mate owns the place so it was an informal arrangement. Just worried now about where I stand as rent prices in the area have skyrocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I would think this is a new tenancy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry should have been clearer. Yes I was renting a room and I'm now renting the entire apartment. No lease in place for either arrangement.
    IMO, new lease, as you're going from room only to entire apartment.

Advertisement