Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City break - DC, Chicago or Boston ?

• 01-06-2017 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Planning a city break in the autumn (probably 4 nights) and just looking for opinions on any of the above options, I think we've narrowed it down to these ! I've not been to any of them before so feel free to throw out any pros/cons.

Many thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Depends on your interests but DC would swing it for me - so much to do and see - 4 weeks wouldn't cover it.

Boston would be very doable in 4 days.

Chicago can get cold in the autumn so depending on dates, I'd factor that in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

+1 for DC. For anyone with the slightest bit of interest in history or politics (not just american) it's an absolute goldmine. I spent 4 days there and did as many museums as possible, aswell as the main sites, and even though I felt I saw what I wanted to see, I'd love to return.

The general vibe of the city is so relaxed aswell. It's so well spread out (not great if you want to avoid using public transport tbh) and there's so many open spaces. It's also quite clean in comparison to other US cities imo.

It's definitely one of the few cities I really like in the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I'd also say DC or Boston. Both are walkable, and the DC metro system is very good if you want to stay outside the city itself. As stated above, you could spend months seeing everything in DC. You'll have no problem filling four days. It's also good in that you have so much to see indoors if the weather is bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Russman wrote: »
    Hi all,

Planning a city break in the autumn (probably 4 nights) and just looking for opinions on any of the above options, I think we've narrowed it down to these ! I've not been to any of them before so feel free to throw out any pros/cons.

Many thanks !

DC for me also, was there at Easter, so much to see and do, so much free stuff to see and do. The Smithsonian museums are all free, air and space is amazing. Highly recommend it as a place to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Beaulieu

Deffo DC - loads of variety.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I've been to DC and Chicago. While I agree with the views expressed above about DC, I'd just caution that if one or more of the OP's party is not much into museums or public monuments, DC could be a crashing bore.

Lest anyone think I'm knocking the place, I had a great time there. The Air & Space museum is a knockout, the Lincoln Monument and Arlington Cemetery are shrines for the the people of the US and a must-see for international visitors. US Capitol also worth a visit but like i said, not everyone is into monuments and museums.

Chicago is a fabulous city, great shopping, bars and restaurants and a general good buzz about the place. At least there was last November when I was there for the Ireland v. All Blacks match and the place was in carnival mood because the Chicago Cubs had just won the World Series - talk about timing! Have never been to Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Have only been to Chicago out of them three and love the place. Was there last month for the second time and it didn't lose any of it's charm.

For touristy things pick up the go card and there's plenty to do there. Didn't have a bad meal while there, food and shopping is excellent. Gino's East was our favourite deep dish place but if you decide to go Chicago, do the pizza making class in Uno. Other recommendations; The Architectural River Cruise, Field Museum, Untouchables Gangster Tour & John Handcock Building for the sunset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭Russman

Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like I can't really go wrong with either.
    Both look amazing, so we may just let price decide !

Re Museums, I doubt any of us would be really into them insofar as going inside and looking at exhibits, well, maybe the Air & Space. That said, two of the group would be into stuff like the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the monuments, reflecting pool etc.

We just don't want to end up on the second afternoon looking blanklyat each other going "right, what'll we do now then ?" if you know what I mean !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Re Museums, I doubt any of us would be really into them insofar as going inside and looking at exhibits, well, maybe the Air & Space. That said, two of the group would be into stuff like the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the monuments, reflecting pool etc.

We just don't want to end up on the second afternoon looking blanklyat each other going "right, what'll we do now then ?" if you know what I mean !

You said 4 nights which means 5 days. Based on that comment above, I think you do not want to spend all of your time in DC. Maybe consider two nights in DC and two nights in Chicago or Boston. I'd do DC first, there's a lot of walking between monuments and museums and it's probably best to get that out of the way first.

Thanks for all the replies guys, looks like I can't really go wrong with either.
    Both look amazing, so we may just let price decide !

There is the White House, the WH visitors centre, Arlington Cemetery, The Houses of Congress, The Lincoln Memorial, SCOTUS, The Washington Monument, Korean & Vietnam memorials, the Holocaust Museum, as well as great bars and restaurants and shopping!

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    You said 4 nights which means 5 days. Based on that comment above, I think you do not want to spend all of your time in DC. Maybe consider two nights in DC and two nights in Chicago or Boston. I'd do DC first, there's a lot of walking between monuments and museums and it's probably best to get that out of the way first.

That's good advice, we had NYC and DC on the same trip, got Amtrak tickets for about $160 for 3 people return and did both cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

I really like Chicago and Boston. Never been to Dc. I'd probably pick Chicago first but you'd have a great time in Boston too.
    I was last there in November for the rugby too and weather was amazing. But it can also be freezing, same as Boston.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭Russman

That's good advice, we had NYC and DC on the same trip, got Amtrak tickets for about $160 for 3 people return and did both cities.

Hmmm...............interesting !!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

DC is well worth a visit and you will never be looking at each other blankly looking for something to do or go! Museums, theatres, landmarks, history everywhere. I always recommend the Newseum and the National Building Museum outside of the usual popular tourist spots.

I just came back from a Watergate walking tour which was great. Tomorrow I'm going to the 100th anniversary of Finland which is near the Mall followed by AwesomeCon!

Examples of events here in this great town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    DC is well worth a visit and you will never be looking at each other blankly looking for something to do or go! Museums, theatres, landmarks, history everywhere. I always recommend the Newseum and the National Building Museum outside of the usual popular tourist spots.

I just came back from a Watergate walking tour which was great. Tomorrow I'm going to the 100th anniversary of Finland which is near the Mall followed by AwesomeCon!

Examples of events here in this great town.

Is there much to see out Georgetown way do you know? The last time I was there I did all the stuff around the mall and the museums so this time I'm looking to head out a bit further down the centre. I'm staying in Alexandria so will spend a bit of time out there and I plan on visiting Arlington Cemetery as well but I'm looking for somewhere else to visit and was thinking around Georgetown or Dupont Circle areas.

Advertisement