Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

suspension at work

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 look for answer

no.

Supervisor was sick according to the schedule on the rota that was put up for us

TheBlock wrote: »
    How do you know that the other employee is not under investigation? Have you spoken to him?

How do you know that he got someone else to clock him out?

Is it normal to clock out and leave when targets are met? Has Supervisor approved this before?

What paperwork if any have you received from HR are you on paid leave at the moment?

I have not received any paperwork so far and there was no person from HR in attendance either.The operation manager was filling in for HR who could not attend.He stated I was on paid leave while they conducted investigation.It is a regular occurance that if you have hit target and have nothing else to do to head away.Its first time I have ever been suspended or investigated in 20 years in any job.I have previous management experience of over 10 years in a different industry.I stated that I was guilty from the outset to both save time of investigation and have a steady work flow uninterrupted.I have been there for over 5 months and I was late by 6 mind on one occasion. I am not looking for pity or any other kind of benefit.just wondering if its fair and correct.I have accepted from day one I was in the wrong and have no problem taking a bollocking but just want to know what others think.In relation to other guy being clocked out I normally give the who clocked have out a spin and was present when he did so.i don't mind what others do once it does not affect mebut do have an issue when pupunishment is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The suspension with pay isn't punishment. The suspension with pay is to investigate.

Stop worrying about what the other guy did or didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

SwD wrote: »
    What are you talking about. They suspended him for misconduct. What was wrong about that?

I actually read that wrong, I thought he said dismissed without any process put in place! I'm wrong op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

If you are working there for more than 12 months, then it will be quite difficult to fire you for such offence particularly if its a first offence and also if you have examples of others doing it.

You may get a written warning.

Possibly they know its been going on and they want to start cracking down on it and you are first up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

You have only been there 5 months. They can let you go without explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Your colleague doing wrong has no bearing on your disciplinary action. Unless you want to hang him just do your own procedure.

I was in charge of company bonuses one year and I came upon a figure of 1500 per employee. One higher paid employee had the nerve to say he was being treated unfairly because his bonus was say 2% of salary and some of the lower paid was 4% of salary. He actually said he was being unfairly treated. He was delighted with it initially intol he found out about the other fellas. You remind me of him to be honest. Its irrelevent what somebody else gets. Be it momey or a sanction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

CeilingFly wrote:
    If you are working there for more than 12 months, then it will be quite difficult to fire you for such offence particularly if its a first offence and also if you have examples of others doing it.

He's there five months, it's in one of his posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

If you're there 5 months and have a
    6 month probation like in most places, chances are you have one of 2 outcomes
    1. You're toast and told at a probationary review
    2.Written warning lasting 6 months

Is it fair- the other person who interviewed for the job probably thinks so

Is it legal, yes, you're suspended pending investigation and being paid so no contract broken.

As for the other guy if he's there more than 6 months he has more rights as a full time employee than someone on probation. He'd get a warning would be my guess

Employees' rights only increase after 1 year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I stand correct so

bmwguy wrote: »
    Your colleague doing wrong has no bearing on your disciplinary action. Unless you want to hang him just do your own procedure.

I was in charge of company bonuses one year and I came upon a figure of 1500 per employee. One higher paid employee had the nerve to say he was being treated unfairly because his bonus was say 2% of salary and some of the lower paid was 4%
    of salary. He actually said he was being unfairly treated. He was delighted with it initially intol he found out about the other fellas. You remind me of him to be honest. Its irrelevent what somebody else gets. Be it momey or a sanction

Ya I do agree thanks.i suppose just the initial shock and all that had me in a tizzy and was thinking it was unfair but reality is I screwed up on my behalf and just have to accept the outcome good or bad.could be a very valuable lesson learned.and the other employees actions doesn't really matter either way regardless.It was my actions got me into the trouble in first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

TBH OP when you're in probationary period you need to be on your best behaviour. If anyone in my teams took liberties in their probationary period I let them go because if their behaviour was less than acceptable chances were they'd be unreliable and virtually impossible to get rid of after probation. My team would not tolerate anyone not pulling their weight and neither would I. It's just a bit of advice from someone on the other side of the scenario.

screamer wrote: »
    TBH OP when you're in probationary period you need to be on your best behaviour. If anyone in my teams took liberties in their probationary period I let them go because if their behaviour was less than acceptable chances were they'd be unreliable and virtually impossible to get rid of after probation. My team would not tolerate anyone not pulling their weight and neither would I. It's just a bit of advice from someone on the other side of the scenario.

Thanks and I understand looking from your point of view and appreciate it.just when it's my first ever suspension/investigation from working over 20yrs bit hard to swallow.as mentioned I have previous management experience and thankfully never came across an incident like mine so if the shoe was on other foot what would my reaction kind of thing.liklihood I will be dismissed and I suppose I can accept that at this stage and without looking for pity or anything I was just mortgage approved two days ago.oh life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

That's a tough break OP. They may give you a chance you never know. I hope it all works out for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Look the fact that you clocked out could work in your favour OP, I hope so because you sound like a decent person.

But either way, as you say lesson learned. Don't do as others do just because they get away with it. Especially on probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Just flicked thru the thread but initial thought is you need to stop talking about the other person. Its nothing to do with you. You are there only 5 months, you need to just admit it openly (which you have and will go in your favour), and hopefully it will be just a warning. If you start going on about another person it looks like your a trouble maker and thats not going to help you.

You knowingly left early, everything and everyone else is irrelevant really.

With regard to the correct procedures to suspend you, the generally accepted best practice is as follows;

Notify you in writing and invite you to an investigation meeting. You should receive this letter no later than 48 hours before the meeting. The letter should outline what the purpose of the meeting is, namely the matter you are being investigated on, who will be attending the meeting, it should state that you will be afforded the opportunity to give your side of the story and and facts that you consider relevant (for example there was no supervisor on duty to report that you were leaving early), it should also advise that you can bring a representative with you to the meeting. Finally it should say that you are suspended with full pay until its investigated and resolved. You are also fully entitled to review any cctv that will be used in the meeting in advance should you so wish.

hope thats of some help.

Thanks and I understand looking from your point of view and appreciate it.just when it's my first ever suspension/investigation from working over 20yrs bit hard to swallow.as mentioned I have previous management experience and thankfully never came across an incident like mine so if the shoe was on other foot what would my reaction kind of thing.liklihood I will be dismissed and I suppose I can accept that at this stage and without looking for pity or anything I was just mortgage approved two days ago.oh life

How did you get mortgage approved while on probation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Dial Hard wrote: »
    He's there five months, it's in one of his posts.

My bad

That may be good news then as they would have been able to sack on the spot and op would have no comeback.

As the number of available good staff is not great these days, a fullsome apology when the occasion presents itself may be the best option.

Don't mention any other staff member or that "others" do it.

Maybe just say that it was mentioned that if your work was completed it was possible to leave early, but you accept that this is only with the supervisor's permission

CeilingFly wrote: »
    My bad

That may be good news then as they would have been able to sack on the spot and op would have no comeback.

As the number of available good staff is not great these days, a fullsome apology when the occasion presents itself may be the best option.

Maybe just say that it was mentioned that if your work was completed it was possible to leave early, but you accept that this is only with the supervisor's permission

Ya well I admitted my wrongdoing immediately without question and I would never say to them xyz does the same.Im thinking the fact there was no HR present they are just delaying the inevitable.gut feeling.only thing in my favour is I have been late by 6 mins once in 5 months and never missed a day, put my name forward for overtime shifts when available and never missed a target and the fact my previous employment record is clean as a whistle.im kind off peed off though that I didn't receive any letter stating their facts nor got an opportunity to have a witness to confirm the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

CeilingFly wrote: »
    My bad

As the number of available good staff is not great these days,  a fullsome apology when the occasion presents itself may be the best option.

Maybe just say that it was mentioned that if your work was completed it was possible to leave early,  but you accept that this is only with the supervisor's permission

Ya well I admitted my wrongdoing immediately without question and I would never say to them xyz does the same.Im thinking the fact there was no HR present they are just delaying the inevitable.gut feeling.only thing in my favour is I have been late by 6 mins once in 5 months and never missed a day, put my name forward for overtime shifts when available and never missed a target and the fact my previous employment record is clean as a whistle.im kind off peed off though that I didn't receive any letter stating their facts nor got an opportunity to have a witness to confirm the same.
    there was no HR present because its cut and dry, you clocked out when you shouldnt have. most companies have mangers or line managers deal with small HR issues then leave HR to deal with the bigger (more complex) things, or leave it open for you to appeal to HR if you dont get the result your after.

Advertisement