Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of address for bank account

• 01-06-2017 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Looks like I need proof of address to open a bank account. I'm starting work shortly but apparently a letter from them is not enough.

All utility bills are not in my name since I live in a house share.. Would a letter from Intreo with my address on it work? It's a government department I guess.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Are you on the electoral register? If so that should suffice.

Otherwise
    - Driving licence
    - Credit card / other bank statement

Determination of tax credits? Maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,461 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

When I was opening my bank account when I was 16, I went to the guards and got them to sign a form saying that I was who I was saying I was and they also confirmed my address. I dunno if they still do it, as it was nearly a decade ago.

It's been a few years, but I remember using the Electoral Roll as proof of address. I since got the Electric Bill in my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Do you have a tax credit certificate or similar. If they go to another address, you could set up the account at that address and then change the address? It's very easy to change your address in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

dudebro wrote: »
    Looks like I need proof of address to open a bank account. I'm starting work shortly but apparently a letter from them is not enough.

All utility bills are not in my name since I live in a house share.. Would a letter from Intreo with my address on it work? It's a government department I guess.

different Bank (annoyingly) have different requirements, normally they list them on their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Clo69

I was in a similar situation when I moved back to Ireland after many years (living with family when I first arrived back so no bills).

What worked for me was to open a KBC bank account from the UK before moving to Ireland. I had proof of address for my UK address. Then I walked into the branch in Dublin and asked to change my address. They handed me a basic form, I filled it in and there you go: an Irish bank account was created with no further proof of address requested. Now I'm waiting for them to send my first statement so that I can prove to everyone else where I live. Mad!

Advertisement