Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bereavement entitlement

Options
  • 01-06-2017 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My wife works part time days a week with same employer for last 5 years.Her sister was bet sick and passed away last week. She rang employer and explained she would not be around to work. She normally gets paid Thursday am but received no payment today. Surely she should be entitled to a couple of days pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭cml387

Bereavement pay is at the discretion of the employer. However this being Ireland I'd be surprised if the employer didn't at least give one day's pay.
    Sounds mean to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

has she spoken to the employer? what did they say? what does her contract say?
    theres no law covering bereavement leave pay in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Not entitled, but any half decent employer would pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Where I am you get 3 days paid leave for an immediate family bereavement. There's no legal entitlement to it but i would like to think any decent employer would at least pay you until the funeral has taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No legal entitlement to even give you the day off. You hear of stories of people working the day and then going to the funeral. It is a bit mean spirited.

For a sibling, the standard is a day off, for a parent you would get a week. Whether paid or not is up to the employer. If it works they should allow you to mark it as annual leave, win win for both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement