Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Iced Coffee recipes. Techniques?

• 01-06-2017 2:29pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'd love to give it a swirl.
    Syrups etc.??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭dball

there are some great recipes on youtube - i've watched some of them but never tried any- good timing with the summer approaching (or just gone)
    I might try one this weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVQ4MuA3vzs

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Yeah......I watched the first few that popped up but wasn't too impressed.
    Seem to be mostly instant types of coffee being used.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Have you looked into cold brew or are you specifically only interested in iced coffee?

To be honest I wasn't aware of the two methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

Espresso, condensed milk, ice & cold milk... and shake... Vietnamese coffee(ish).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

I got obsessed with homemade frappuchinos last summer. Here is the recipe I used with great results:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/235850/starbucks-caramel-frappuccino-copycat-recipe/?internalSource=hub%20recipe&referringContentType=search%20results&clickId=cardslot%201

You can swap in anything for caramel sauce- cinnamon powder, maple syrup, chocolate syrup etc.

lol...... 3 tablespoons sugar, third cup caramel sauce......

1 cup "low fat" milk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

General rule of thumb I follow is 140g of coffee per litre.

When I make it I do the following:
    1) 70g of coarse ground coffee into french press
    2) Add 500ml hot water
    3) Let sit at room temp overnight or bang it in the fridge for about 24 hours
    4) Pour liquid from french press, put liquid into fridge.
    5) Dilute the liquid you have now in with water, 1:1 ratio. Should leave you with ~1 litre of cold brew that you can have whenever.

You don't really need good beans for it as it's a fairly forgiving method. French press can be replaced by filters also if you want, doesn't really matter what's used.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Planet X wrote: »
    To be honest I wasn't aware of the two methods.

Cold-brewed coffee is ground coffee steeped in cold water and strained, and iced coffee is generally brewed hot and poured over ice.

You can buy contraptations for making cold brew coffee, or you can DIY it. I've looekd into it in the past but never bothered in the end.

Jamie Oliver has a bit about it here

http://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-features/features/how-to-make-cold-brew-coffee/

Bluebottle recipe here:

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/cold-brew ( This uses the brewer that presumalby they sell.

Plenty of recipes out there obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

Cold brew supposedly cuts down on acidity. I've tried the basic jar and pitcher method, but the mess of straining wasn't worth the effort. I wish it were easier (I don't have a french press,etc), since I only drink cold coffee. Instead I do a hot brew once a week, add creamer while hot, then have a pot in the fridge, to pour out all week.

I want to try the iced coffee recipes you posted above, they look great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

If you have a Nespresso machine and an Aerocinno thingy this is what I do:

Tall Glass (Hi Ball should be ok)

Espresso shot of coffee

Froth the milk on the cold setting (keep the button pressed until it turns blue (thats after the red)

Maybe 4 ice cube crushed up

Shot of Hazelnut Syrup.

Put the crushed ice in the glass, make the espresso shot into same glass, shot of syrup, frothed milk, Viola! 2 mins great iced coffee drink

i know its cold brew and not iced coffee but its a start:

just gave this a go, ill leave it for the night and try it in the morning.

Looks good. Will try also.
    Now......to get a bit of sackcloth for a blanket......

dball wrote: »
    i know its cold brew and not iced coffee but its a start:

just gave this a go, ill leave it for the night and try it in the morning.

OK it was only a cheapo bag of coffee i used (bewleys i think) but i made enough to drink a few cups.
    I started off with it cold and didn't like it.
    then i boiled the kettle and heated up half a cup in the microwave - combined them and had a nice sup of coffee.
    Later in the morning i heated up a full cup of the cold brew in the microwave and added milk, - very nice!!

my overall reaction is that it does slightly improve the flavour but is it worth the hassle.
    Well i didn't repeat last night and to be honest Ill have to try it with some decent coffee to judge it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

^ It's a nice, strong, smooth blend in my french press. I prefer cold coffee, so it tasted extra good. Mine is cheapo coffee too, but it seems to taste better steeping in cold water for 12 hours than brewed in my electric coffee maker for 5 minutes. Thanks for the vid dball! (I've never been able to make a good cup of coffee before now)

Advertisement