Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 years for ex-shinner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Allinall wrote: »
    I'm all for pedantics.

What was the point of your post?

You didn't explain.

My point was, why be surprised that a former member of an army who could find no place in a political party, would be involved in thuggery?
    Members of armies and former members do stuff like this all the time.

What was your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

My point was, why be surprised that a former member of an army who could find no place in a political party, would be involved in thuggery?

What was your point?

Was he in the ira?

He was in sinn fein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

What was your point?

But he had a place in a political party. He was a serving SF councillor at the time this happened.

Plus he's 40, what f**king war was he fighting in Dublin in the late 90s?

Was he in the ira?

He was in sinn fein.

He said he was.

He said he was.

But the ira ceased to exist 20 years ago?

What are you smoking man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

What was your point?

Who's surprised?

ceegee wrote: »
    But he had a place in a political party. He was a serving SF councillor at the time this happened.

Political parties are supposed to know what a member MIGHT do? Who knew.

A wee bit of calming down might be required there.

But the ira ceased to exist 20 years ago?

What are you smoking man?

Once a thug always a thug. He was caught and dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

The guy must have been wet behind the ears to try and con those two.
    Opps!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Beyondgone

Syphonax wrote: »
    My opinion on Sinn Fein has softened in recent years to the point that ive actually considered voting for them (perhaps its just years of been dismayed with the other main parties) but this news of this waterboarding just goes to show their true colours and how they truly operate out of view of the cameras.

Erm..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

The selection committee who nominated young Jonathan to run for SF must have really let their guard down that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The selection committee who nominated young Jonathan to run for SF must have really let their guard down that night.

Not at all. Would be seen as a badge of honour for SF to support a lawbreaker maverick like that who would not call the Guards. Law unto themselves. Hate the organs of State too.

Ask Martin Ferris.

Like the selectors of any politicians who subsequently fell foul of the law. There really isn't a point there other than the juvenile 'they are all the same'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Was he in the ira?

He was in sinn fein.

being in sinn fein doesn't mean one was in the ira when it existed. being in the ira when it existed doesn't mean one is in or was in sinn fein.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

being in sinn fein doesn't mean one was in the ira when it existed. being in the ira when it existed doesn't mean one is in or was in sinn fein.

Bill did not have sexual relations with that woman either!

• Advertisement

I know that.

The poster stated he was in the ira.

I'm saying I only seen evidence of him been in sinn fein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Like the selectors of any politicians who subsequently fell foul of the law. There really isn't a point there other than the juvenile 'they are all the same'.

There are certainly some questions to be answered as to why he left the party shortly after the kidnapping. How much did they know about this before it came to the attention of the Gardai?

If this happened in any other political party you can be damn sure SF would be hounding them for answers to these same questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Once a thug always a thug. He was caught and dealt with.

You forgot to mention that he got a fair trial.

There are certainly some questions to be answered as to why he left the party shortly after the kidnapping. How much did they know about this before it came to the attention of the Gardai?

If this happened in any other political party you can be damn sure SF would be hounding them for answers to these same questions

You think they knew he was waterboarding people he met on done deal? Accepted that? Righty O.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

418882.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

it shows nothing of the sort. this is nothing to do with sinn fein. sinn fein are still a very credible party and are the only ones who can now be trusted to run the country into the ground.

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

pilly wrote: »
    Good enough for him, scumbag.

Even looks like a scumbag from the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭jh79

You think they knew he was waterboarding people he met on done deal? Accepted that? Righty O.

I could be wrong but the garda acidentally found the video he was been investigated because of his links to Hutch drug gang. How much of that relationship were SF aware of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

jh79 wrote: »
    I could be wrong but the garda acidentally found the video he was been investigated because of his links to Hutch drug gang. How much of that relationship were SF aware of?

What links?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

No skin in the game and I have absolutely no sympathy sorry.

But when you see the derisory sentences for other things like child abuse and so on, you would wonder.

Anyway.

Funny you should mention child abuse in a thread about sinn fein ex members.

From the videos of the double daring do gooder US and British invasion forces??

I reckon it's all because of Dresden :rolleyes:
    it shows nothing of the sort. this is nothing to do with sinn fein. sinn fein are still a very incredible party and are the only ones who can not be trusted to run the country.

Your spell checker is on the blink so I fixed it.

You really have to laugh how the shinners are whining about how this has nothing to do with sinn fein and how he is an ex member.
    And you could bet your house on it that if an ex FG, Labour or fianna failer were caught doing anyhting half as bad, they would be all over it like flies on a cowshyte.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's the craziest story I've heard in a while. The confidence displayed and the self righteous conviction of their actions was shocking. The fact that they actually thought they were untouchable and more or less were... is telling. After all, nobody reported them. They were caught by their own video recording.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    What links?

Family friend and it seems he was willing to use his contacts to help with sourcing weapons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

He said he was.

If I had a pound for every gobsh*te who said they were in the IRA while making threats I'd be richer than Bono. There's not even any speculation that he was ever even a member of that organisation from what I can see.

Look, he was a scumbag involved in a political party - was got shot of and that's that. People thinking he was some sort of trained IRA operative engaging in secret Sinn Fein interrogation tactics are off their heads. He's a dope and a thug, nothing more.

As someone else said, Fine Gael recently had one of their members attempt to glass a man in the face but we're not taking this as indicative of them and their members.

This eejit hasn't even been involved with SF for years.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/three-ak47-assault-rifles-used-in-regency-hotel-attack-seized-by-gardai-34527790.html

His house was raided as part of an investigation into the above. He was the link between the ira and the Hutch's being a family friend and all.

The waterboarding video was pure luck.

FTA69 wrote: »

This eejit hasn't even been involved with SF for years.

But he was, at the time.

• Advertisement

He wasn't a serving councillor, he wasn't even a party member,

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/three-ak47-assault-rifles-used-in-regency-hotel-attack-seized-by-gardai-34527790.html

His house was raided as part of an investigation into the above. He was the link between the ira and the Hutch's being a family friend and all.

The Provisional IRA had no links with the Hutches, it's a dissident crowd called the NIRA accused of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    I have to say I'm happy with this result... Dragging down the good name of Sinn Fein with this type of behaviour is reprehensible IMHO.
    Sinn Fein are mass murderers.

bubblypop wrote: »
    But he was, at the time.
    Exactly. Like attracts like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I can't see where the article specifically mentions him as 'the link'. Maybe I missed it.
    Is this a proven fact or are you just guessing that he's 'the link'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Needs Must

Nothing but a lying thug. He was fecked out of the shinners because they knew he was goosed and wanted to distance themselves from him. Good bed partners by the sounds of it.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    I can't see where the article specifically mentions him as 'the link'. Maybe I missed it.
    Is this a proven fact or are you just guessing that he's 'the link'.

It's what the papers are reporting. I think he has stated the Hutch's are family friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

Was he in the ira?

He was in sinn fein.

1984 Double Speak there!

Madagascan wrote: »
    1984 Double Speak there!

It's simple enough like, they're two different organisations. You can be in one without the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Did not read the last 5 pages.

This chap is a scumbag and gets 12 years, there are scumbags with 100+ convictions not getting jail time, WTF is wrong with this country?

I reckon we should label all scumbags with 100+ convictions as shinners...

boom crime problem and reoffending problem solved.....

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's simple enough like, they're two different organisations. You can be in one without the other.
    You know what you are doing when you join sinn fein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

it shows nothing of the sort. this is nothing to do with sinn fein. sinn fein are still a very credible party and are the only ones who can now be trusted to run the country.

Sinn Fein can't run a bath.

They certainly don't want to run the country.

They're perfectly aware they can't run a country.

They're perfectly aware they can't be trusted to run a country.

They're giggling away at anyone that thinks they can run a country.

They're very comfortable where they are. Bitching and sniping from the sidelines.

And that is where they will stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Don't know the it's and our's but caught snippets on the news in the car on the way home from work.
    What made me think were the quotes from the judge re the demeaning nature ....intimidation....holding someone against their will....using a weapon. .threatening them....I was left thinking they could be describing any rape and yet look at how tlmany rapists get away with lenient sentences.
    I sincerely hope the next time a rape victim is giving an impact statement before sentencing they can refer to this judges summary and the same sentence be imposed on them

Yeah. And Sinn Feins history on that with Mairia Cahill and others isn't good either.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭flatty

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Did not read the last 5 pages.

This chap is a scumbag and gets 12 years, there are scumbags with 100+ convictions not getting jail time, WTF is wrong with this country?

I reckon we should label all scumbags with 100+ convictions as shinners...

boom crime problem and reoffending problem solved.....
    This may have been mentioned already, but iirc, 12 years is what Larry Murphy received.
    The video must have been pretty awful.

indeed. you are standing up and fighting to make the country better.
    sinn fein have nothing but the countries best interests at heart. always have always will.
    John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sinn Fein can't run a bath.

They certainly don't want to run the country.

They're perfectly aware they can't run a country.

They're perfectly aware they can't be trusted to run a country.

They're giggling away at anyone that thinks they can run a country.

They're very comfortable where they are. Bitching and sniping from the sidelines.

And that is where they will stay.

they can run a country. they will run this country north and south. they are trusted, will be trusted, can be trusted. it's only a matter of time. it's going to happen.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

sinn fein have nothing but the countries best interests at heart. always have always will.
    Why is murder and rape in my best interest? Why is scaring me in my best interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Youd do well to tell that to college students up and down the country?

Why is murder and rape in my best interest? Why is scaring me in my best interest?

that wasn't sinn fein. that was the ira. the actions of the ira had nothing to do with sinn fein.

that wasn't sinn fein. that was the ira. the actions of the ira had nothing to do with sinn fein.
    Fifteen of Sinn Féin's 35 MPs, TDs, MEPs, and Assembly members have a history of IRA involvement or have convictions.
    Martin McGuinness – Sinn Féin's chief negotiator was twice convicted of IRA membership in the Republic. In 1973, he was arrested in Donegal close to a car filled with 250lbs of explosives and 5,000 rounds of ammunition. He was sentenced to six months. He told the Dublin court: "I am a member of the Derry brigade of Oglaigh na hÉireann and am very, very proud of it."

Notice he was convicted HERE in the republic. Not in the North.
    Martin Ferris – Twice convicted of IRA membership,
    Barry McElduff – A Queen's University graduate, he was given an 18-month suspended sentence in 1992 for helping in the false imprisonment of a Protestant whom the IRA suspected of being an informer. The victim was interrogated by three masked IRA men in Sinn Féin's Dungannon offices. The court heard that McElduff had saved the victim from execution.

http://politico.ie/archive/who-sinn-f%C3%A9in-was-ira

They ARE the IRA.

Youd do well to tell that to college students up and down the country?
    It's not worth my life.

I am not 'Irish enough' and they will gas me when the revolution comes. And then the far right will take a pee on my grave. Happy days. :pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement