Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 years for ex-shinner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Well well well

http://m.herald.ie/news/courts/exsinn-fein-councillor-on-prison-ira-wing-after-being-jailed-for-12-years-for-torture-35780299.html

Ex-Sinn Fein councillor on prison 'IRA wing' after being jailed for 12 years for torture

He's on the NIRA wing in Portlaoise, they've nothing to do with Sinn Fein. They're far too busy robbing drug dealers and generally doing the bollix to bother with politics from what I can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

FTA69 wrote: »
    He's on the NIRA wing in Portlaoise, they've nothing to do with Sinn Fein. They're far too busy robbing drug dealers and generally doing the bollix to bother with politics from what I can see.

Why is an ex sinn fein member up until 2015 on a dissident ira wing???

Doesn't look good does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think this guy was all mouth and rather than being a Ira mastermind simply acted the hard man and isn't the brightest..and must be feeling very stupid now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Im suprised dissidents left him onto the landing tbh

This smacks of him pulling family strings
    to get into the political wing of portlaoise.....pure wrong

Hes not a dissident

Im suprised dissidents left him onto the landing tbh

This smacks of him pulling family strings
    to get into the political wing of portlaoise.....pure wrong

Hes not a dissident

Politicians don't get you housed on certain wings in portlaoise!
    The dissidents who are on the wing decide whether or not you will be hours with them, so he is a dissident.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Politicians don't get you housed on certain wings in portlaoise!
    The dissidents who are on the wing decide whether or not you will be hours with them, so he is a dissident.

Never sais he pulled family strimgs with politoans :)

Presumably hes there cos his dad is too?...

Never sais he pulled family strimgs with politoans :)

Presumably hes there cos his dad is too?...

So both of them are dissidents

If they are....what business have they fcuking about with sinn fein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Yamanoto wrote: »

?width=375&version=1685595

Oh my God. That's a damning photo.

...Posing with Gerry Adams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This is totally unfair to Sinn Fein.
    Other than being associated with murderers, rapists, child abusers, criminal organisations and tax evaders, they really are a swell bunch of folks....

Mary lous pal.

Imagine if it was some other party.

We would have to hear her constant whining and whinging about it.

Hypocrites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Nope, doesn't look good at all. Story is this organisation let them on the wing because Gerry Hutch paid them.

Sinn Fein do have to accept they had a complete blackguard in their ranks but to be fair; this notion that they as a party new about the incident that happened or protected or condoned him isn't true either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

This smacks of him pulling family strings to get into the political wing of portlaoise.....pure wrong

More like money talks. They are still aligned to the Hutch group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Big Barry

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Other than being associated with murderers, rapists, child abusers, criminal organisations and tax evaders, they really are a swell bunch of folks....

Not to mention drug dealers and wife beaters.

You will never meet a nice bunch of people...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Big Barry wrote: »
    Not to mention drug dealers and wife beaters.

You will never meet a nice bunch of people...

Only was one wife beater that I am aware in the provos even 1 is more than enough for me,
    And I don't think he joined , voted or associated with sf after his release.

As for the drug dealers if if it's such a widespread epidemic you must have plenty of links to news stories for me to peruse to back up your wide speculating attempt to stir the sh1t

The provos dealing drugs#lol

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Big Barry

davycc wrote: »
    Only was one wife beater that I am aware in the provos even 1 is more than enough for me,
    And I don't think he joined , voted or associated with sf after his release.

As for the drug dealers if if it's such a widespread epidemic you must have plenty of links to news stories for me to peruse to back up your wide speculating attempt to stir the sh1t

The provos dealing drugs#lol

It's well known that "Republicans" are up to the their necks in drugs.

Anybody who lives in inner city dublin can attest to this fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

And long may both of them stay locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Not "good republicans" though, only they are associated with SF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Aloneagain

I have no time for SF or their hangers on at all. Will always have a whiff of cordite about them and just beyond criminality etc. for me.

Every mainstream Irish political party "have a whiff of cordite about them" !
    We have a political culture of split and faction !
    The parties that you most likely vote for today have developed from a split within Sinn Féin during the War of Independence ..

Aloneagain wrote: »
    Every mainstream Irish political party "have a whiff of cordite about them" !
    We have a political culture of split and faction !
    The parties that you most likely vote for today have developed from a split within Sinn Féin during the War of Independence ..

Thankfully most have left that in the past years ago.

Unfortunately one hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Aloneagain

Thankfully most have left that in the past years ago.

Unfortunately one hasn't.

Which parties have relinquished their Republican heritage and their aspirations for a United Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Pkiernan wrote: »

Dont give a donkeys about any political party.

But this is called guilt by association.

Do you have a dodgy cousin, ex-friend or neighbor?

What does that say about you ehhh. Hmmmmm. *Twitches curtain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

FTA69 wrote: »
    Nope, doesn't look good at all. Story is this organisation let them on the wing because Gerry Hutch paid them.

Sinn Fein do have to accept they had a complete blackguard in their ranks but to be fair; this notion that they as a party new about the incident that happened or protected or condoned him isn't true either.

What does that even mean? Knew about it as a party? Does as a party mean a few people? All members?

To be honest it looks like they figured out Dowdall was upto something and thats why he left.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Aloneagain wrote: »
    Which parties have relinquished their Republican heritage and their aspirations for a United Ireland ?

Killing people for their goals they have left behind.

Nice try though.

greencap wrote: »
    Dont give a donkeys about any political party.

But this is called guilt by association.

Do you have a dodgy cousin, ex-friend or neighbor?

What does that say about you ehhh. Hmmmmm. *Twitches curtain.

You can't choose your relatives.

You can choose your party members though:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'm from the inner city myself and I assume you are deliberately mixing up your republican factions..The dissidents deal drugs and make death threats/actual attempted murder/actual murder against retired Provo & sf folks who they see as sellouts

You specifically said the Provos are involved in dealing drugs so up to you to back up your claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nice try though.

Because they were lucky enough that brave men and women made the blood sacrifices for them.
    The people of NI were abandoned to their fates while comfy partitionists and cowards stood idly by.

Were it not for brave men and women you'd be living in a resource depleted British backwater with only a history of subjugation to warm you.

Because they were lucky enough that brave men and women made the blood sacrifices for them.
    The people of NI were abandoned to their fates while comfy partitionists and cowards stood idly by.

Were it not for brave men and women you'd be living in a resource depleted British backwater with only a history of subjugation to warm you.

Brave men and women who raped kids, murdered kids, kidnapped horses, kneecapped kids, smuggled diesel, shot dead a mother of 12 children, shot dead garda members, protected rapists.

I'm sorry but I just don't see anything brave at all in these acts.

Cowardly yes. Bravery no.

Brave men and women who raped kids, murdered kids, kidnapped horses, kneecapped kids, smuggled diesel, shot dead a mother of 12 children, shot dead garda members, protected rapists.

Yes bad things were done, mistakes made. It wasn't some glorious clean war/conflict made in Pinewood studios for consumption by the gullible.

You are probably disappointed that we were not overrun by the 'supposedly' blood lusting psychopaths the 'RA was made up of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

they are not republicans. anyone can call themselves republicans but it doesn't make them so. all these gangs call themselves republicans thinking they will get respect from their little cronies. won't work lads.
    amcalester wrote: »
    Not "good republicans" though, only they are associated with SF.

correct. only good and real republicans are welcome within sinn fein.

Nice try though.

that wasn't originally what you said, so his question is still valid and should be answered. you can't go changing your meanings to statements.

the only thing the provisional ira were guilty of out of your list was killing some civilians during their mainland bombing campaign, which nobody defends. all the other actions mentioned were caried out by people who called themselves the ira.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I do understand that there are several of you PIRA types on here, and as such the Provos are your brave bomb planting heroes . . . . but if you view your heroes from the perspective of the victims for just one moment, then your brave IRA bombers become nothing more than Irish Republican versions of Salmon Abedi, or the Paris bombers . . . . The victims are always blown to pieces due to a struggle which the perpetrators​ can't or won't convey by normal means, hence they resort to planting bombs and shooting people in order to attain their aims.

Thankfully in recent years the IRAs political wing (Sinn Fein) now condemn such bombings. Better late than never I guess, unless of course you sit beside an empty space at the table where your loved one (murdered by brave Republican heroes) used to sit

LordSutch wrote: »
    I do understand that there are several of you PIRA types on here, and as such the Provos are your brave bomb planting heroes . . . . but if you view your heroes from the perspective of the victims for just one moment, then your brave IRA bombers become nothing more than Irish Republican versions of Salmon Abedi, or the Paris bombers . . . . The victims are always blown to pieces due to a struggle which the perpetrators​ can't or won't convey by normal means, hence they resort to planting bombs and shooting people in order to attain their aims.

Thankfully in recent years the IRAs political wing (Sinn Fein) now condemn such bombings. Better late than never I guess, unless of course you sit beside an empty space at the table where your loved one (murdered by brave Republican heroes) used to sit

the catholic population tried to resolve the issue by peaceful means. they were beaten and shot off the streets and moed down, or burned out of their houses.

you know this all ready.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

You can't choose your relatives.

You can choose your party members though:)

But you can't know what they'll do in the future.

Unless you're mystic meg. :)

Pira types :D

When you are ready to accept that actions have consequences get back to me on victims.

the catholic population tried to resolve the issue by peaceful means. they were beaten and shot off the streets and moed down, or burned out of their houses.

you know this all ready.

You are talking about the late 60s and all the discrimination & predjuices that were realised in Northern Ireland. The SDLP (led by John Hume & Seamus Mallon) then embarked on a peaceful mission to fight for equal rights for Catholics, which was to be admired...... sadly in the other side you had violent Irish Republicanism, who had no time for peaceful deliberation, but had all the time in the world to sustain a guerrilla/terrorist campaign for the next thirty years < This was wrong & unforgivable.

There was never any need to plant bombs or shoot people.

they are not republicans. anyone can call themselves republicans but it doesn't make them so. all these gangs call themselves republicans thinking they will get respect from their little cronies. won't work lads.

correct. only good and real republicans are welcome within sinn fein.

that wasn't originally what you said, so his question is still valid and should be answered. you can't go changing your meanings to statements.

the only thing the provisional ira were guilty of out of your list was killing some civilians during their mainland bombing campaign, which nobody defends. all the other actions mentioned were caried out by people who called themselves the ira.

Oh dear.

They didn't kidnap a horse?

Or kneecap kids?

Or shoot dead Jean mconville?

Ah what's the point with you, I think you're on the windup!

You are talking about the late 60s and all the discrimination & predjuices that were realised in Northern Ireland. The SDLP (led by John Hume & Seamus Mallon) then embarked on a peaceful mission to fight for equal rights for Catholics, which was to be admired...... sadly in the other side you had violent Irish Republicanism, who had no time for peaceful deliberation, but had all the time in the world to sustain a guerrilla/terrorist campaign for the next thirty years < This was wrong & unforgivable.

And you leave out the bit were violent and belligerent. Unionism thwarted any attempt at a deal with the SDLP and that republicans were not allowed to the table.
    Jaysus the delusion is strong here.

And you leave out the bit were violent and belligerent. Unionism thwarted any attempt at a deal with the SDLP and that republicans were not allowed to the table.
    Jaysus the delusion is strong here.

Can you not see from London this very night, that terrorism achieves nothing positive while creating nothing but death & hatred. YES the Unionist Loyalist mobs were an awful gang too, of course they were the lowest of the low, but this thread is about an ex Shinner who has been banged up for twelve years (and rightly so) for carrying on with practices that had been dropped by the PIRA many years earlier.

Terrorism doesn't work and is not to be respected or condoned.

Can you not see from London this very night, that terrorism achieves nothing positive while creating nothing but death & hatred. YES the Unionist Loyalist mobs were an awful gang too, of course they were the lowest of the low, but this thread is about an ex Shinner who has been banged up for twelve years (and rightly so) for carrying on with practices that had been dropped by the PIRA many years earlier.

Terrorism doesn't work and is not to be respected or condoned.

When you are ready to accept that however sad and tragic the events in London are that they too have a cause get back to us. The common denominator is British behaviour in foreign climes is a clue.

Violence is violence, and it generally begets violence whether you want to label it with a silly word that means nothing.

• Advertisement

When you are ready to accept that however sad and tragic the events in London are that they too have a cause get back to us. The common denominator is British behaviour in foreign climes is a clue.

Violence is violence, and it generally begets violence whether you want to label it with a silly word that means nothing.

Tonight of all nights, and you come out with that^

I'm speechless.

Tonight of all nights, and you come out with that^

I'm speechless.

As I said, when you are ready to accept that actions have consequences get back to us.
    London is a tragic place tonight. RIP to the deceased.

As I said, when you are ready to accept that actions have consequences get back to us.....

That's right, so go out and run over some people, stab them, shoot then, or just plant a bomb!

Its so honourable and brave (bot only when the IRA did it) :rolleyes:

the sdlp were not going to get anywhere. britain had made it clear it was not going to negotiate with anyone who wished to implement equal rights in northern ireland. it was in britain's interest for northern ireland to remain a sectarian, economically deprived hole.
    the provos had no choice but to fight and overthrow the sectarian statelet. you know it, i know it, everyone knows it.
    was the whole lot wrong, absolutely.
    Oh dear.

They didn't kidnap a horse?

Or kneecap kids?

Or shoot dead Jean mconville?

Ah what's the point with you, I think you're on the windup!

they didn't kidnap a horse and didn't shoot kids. i can assure you i don't do winding up.

That's right, so go out and run over some people, stab them, shoot then, or just plant a bomb!

Its so honourable and brave (bot only when the IRA did it) :rolleyes:

Dropping bombs from 20,000 feet and cruising home to be with your family honourable and brave?

Have a chill pill and some reflection there. :rolleyes:

Dropping bombs from 20,000 feet and cruising home to be with your family honourable and brave?

Have a chill pill and some reflection there. :rolleyes:

That's what I mean, you are suggesting that the London attacks are justified because of western foreign policy... and I see your fellow Provo supporter thank's you.

Am I right?

• Advertisement

the sdlp were not going to get anywhere. britain had made it clear it was not going to negotiate with anyone who wished to implement equal rights in northern ireland. it was in britain's interest for northern ireland to remain a sectarian, economically deprived hole.
    the provos had no choice but to fight and overthrow the sectarian statelet. you know it, i know it, everyone knows it.
    was the whole lot wrong, absolutely.

they didn't kidnap a horse and didn't shoot kids. i can assure you i don't do winding up.

OK!

Awh man you just keep giving!

That's what I mean, you are suggesting that the London attacks are justified because of western foreign policy... and I see your fellow Provo supporter thank's you.

Am I right?

PIRA-Good.

Isis-bad.

Figure that one out.

Am I right?

I didn't 'justify' anything. I said, and you don't want to hear, that actions have consequences.
    All killing/violence is wrong and you will only stop it when you recognise why it is happening. You still don't want to accept that.

... I said, and you don't want to hear, that actions have consequences.
    All killing/violence is wrong and you will only stop it when you recognise why it is happening. You still don't want to accept that.

I (most people) DON'T AGREE WITH TERRORISM.

GET IT.

LOOK AT LONDON TONIGHT.

Well that's clearly not true.
    The provos kidnapped a horse, 'disappeared ' people, killed innocent people & children and many other crimes.
    I'm not sure how you can deny that when they themselves admit it?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement