Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 years for ex-shinner

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

SF didn't see the IRA as 'terrorists'. There are a few people who need to get over that fact.

That's exactly the point. Every other party and throughout civic society, they were roundly regarded as terrorists.

That's what sets SF apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's exactly the point. Every other party and throughout civic society, they were roundly regarded as terrorists.

The implication being that anyone who sees the use of the term 'terrorist' as simplistic is un-civic?
    All armies use terror, all armies are therefore 'terrorist'.

The implication being that anyone who sees the use of the term 'terrorist' as simplistic is un-civic?

You, and SF, could be right* that the IRA weren't terrorists and all other parties and civic society are wrong about them.
    But the point stands that that sets SF apart.

(* you aren't)

You, and SF, could be right* that the IRA weren't terrorists and all other parties and civic society are wrong about them.
    But the point stands that that sets SF apart.

(* you aren't)

'Apart' for what though...parties born from exactly the same circumstances?

Time to get over the fact we had a conflict/war here maybe?

'Apart' from everybody except SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what you describe as a war was nothing more than a campaign of terror against innocent civilians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Tell that to the maimed and bereaved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

... I like Mary lou and yer man in Donegan.

Mary Lou is full of loud mouthed in yer face hollow sound bites!
    ...but at least she wasn't mixed up in terrorism, like some of her fellow SF colleagues.

feargale wrote: »
    Tell that to the maimed and bereaved.
    They are the reason you should get over the fact that the conflict/war is over.
    Not all the bereaved blame one side only, not all were bereaved by one side.
    But carry on taking it out on one side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

SF didn't see the IRA as 'terrorists'. There are a few people who need to get over that fact.

Planting bombs in pubs, clubs, buses & trains, in shops & cars which kill & maim people can only be called Terrorism, there is no other word for it. Shooting off duty policemen, knee capping young lads & strapping people into vehicles loaded with semtex 'on a one way journey' to hell is also terrorism.
    Armed Bank robberies (North & South), post office raids, killing Gardai, torture, blackmail, smuggling, gun running, kidnappings & extortion, money laundering - Making people disappear -

And all in the name of a "United" Ireland :(

Of course it was Terrorism, but did it hasted the Unity of the island, or delay it?

• Advertisement

LordSutch wrote: »
    Planting bombs in pubs, clubs, buses & trains, in shops & cars which kill & maim people can only be called Terrorism, there is no other word for it. Shooting off duty policemen, knee capping young lads & strapping people into vehicles loaded with semtex 'on a one way journey' to hell is also terrorism.
    Armed Bank robberies (North & South), post office raids, killing Gardai, torture, blackmail, smuggling, gun running, kidnappings & extortion, money laundering - Making people disappear -

And all in the name of a "United" Ireland :(

Of course it was Terrorism, but did it hasted the Unity of the island, or delay it?

The conflict/war like all conflict/wars was about terror. Correct.

Armies, from the design of their uniforms to their display of weaponry are for inspiring terror.

Ask anyone in the middle east.

They are the reason you should get over the fact that the conflict/war is over.
    Not all the bereaved blame one side only, not all were bereaved by one side.
    But carry on taking it out on one side.

the "war" may be over but its effects are still being felt. I'm sure SF would like us all to quietly forget about it. I can guarantee you that we wont.

the "war" may be over but its effects are still being felt. I'm sure SF would like us all to quietly forget about it. I can guarantee you that we wont.

You think some of those most affected by the conflict/war want to 'forget' it.

Brilliant.

You probably come from the demographic who ignored what was going on in the first place and who now only wants to remember and recriminate the actions of one side. Soooo predictable.

You think some of those most affected by the conflict/war want to 'forget' it.

Brilliant.

You probably come from the demographic who ignored what was going on in the first place and who now only wants to remember and recriminate the actions of one side. Soooo predictable.

SF are quite keen for us to forget their links with terrorism. thankfully people have long memories.

SF are quite keen for us to forget their links with terrorism. thankfully people have long memories.

They keep the same leaders they had right through the conflict even though that gives every lazy assed journalist and politician, and internet warrior the oppurtunity to endlessly and pointlessly have a pop and they are 'keen for us to forget'.

You are the gift that keeps giving (or maybe you are as usual just irrationally suiting yourself)...carry on. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

Explains why SF were against the water charges!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

They have both been removed from the Republican landing in Portlaoise tonight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

Cazale wrote: »
    Is that to do with this BS?

http://irpwa.com/statement-republican-prisoners-portlaoise-solidarity-protest/

http://www.irsp.ie/news/?p=1145

They are a load of **** :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Is that to do with this BS?

No. It's to do with the nature of their convictions and who they are associated with I imagine.

No. It's to do with the nature of their convictions and who they are associated with I imagine.
    You they don't want them to communicate with other republican inmates etc? Not sure i understand sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Good to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I didn't regard them as terrorists. No doubt they did some horrible things but so has every belligrent force in every major war.

The British Army carried out the Falls massacre, the Pitchfork killings, Ballymurphy massacre, Newry bank killings, Bloody Sunday, The murder of Eamon McDevvit, a deaf & dumb mute,the Springhill massacre, the New lodge Six killings, Dunloy, 14 civilians were killed during the Lenadoon avenue battles.....
    Then there was the shoot-to-kill policy killings, The Military Reaction force (MRF), the Stalker shootings, Kesh ambush, Gransha hospital, Loughgall, Gibraltar, Drummnakilley, Coagh, Clonoe....
    Then all the Loyalist massacres & activity they've been accussed of helping or directing, Dublin 1972, Dublin & Monaghan, The Littlejohn brothers, Dublin airport bombing, Belturbet, Kays Tavern, Pat finucane, Milltown, Avenue bar shooting, Cappagh, Sean Grahams & James murray's bookmakers, Loughinisland, Conway's bar, Miami Showband, well i'd just be here all day.

If this was any other organization they'd be accused of terroism. And thats just peanuts to the stuff they did in places like Kenya, India & other former imperial properties. Dublin even managed to grow a pair of balls to bring them to the European court of human rights for torturing internees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

I didn't regard them as terrorists. No doubt they did some horrible things but so has every belligrent force in every major war.

The British Army carried out the Falls massacre, the Pitchfork killings, Ballymurphy massacre, Newry bank killings, Bloody Sunday, The murder of Eamon McDevvit, a deaf & dumb mute,the Springhill massacre, the New lodge Six killings, Dunloy, 14 civilians were killed during the Lenadoon avenue battles.....
    Then there was the shoot-to-kill policy killings, The Military Reaction force (MRF), the Stalker shootings, Kesh ambush, Gransha hospital, Loughgall, Gibraltar, Drummnakilley, Coagh, Clonoe....
    Then all the Loyalist massacres & activity they've been accussed of helping or directing, Dublin 1972, Dublin & Monaghan, The Littlejohn brothers, Dublin airport bombing, Belturbet, Kays Tavern, Pat finucane, Milltown, Avenue bar shooting, Cappagh, Sean Grahams & James murray's bookmakers, Loughinisland, Conway's bar, Miami Showband, well i'd just be here all day.

If this was any other organization they'd be accused of terroism. And thats just peanuts to the stuff they did in places like Kenya, India & other former imperial properties. Dublin even managed to grow a pair of balls to bring them to the European court of human rights for torturing internees.

So can we agree both were horrible murdering terrorists so?

I didn't regard them as terrorists.
    And that sets you apart - the vast majority of parties, civic society organisations and people did and do regard them as terrorists.

You seem to have a very fluid view of what is and what isn't terrorism, but I guess that's part and parcel or being an IRA sympathiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

How soon would they return to violence if Sinn Fein didn't get elected?

So can we agree both were horrible murdering terrorists so?

If you want be consistent in your outrage I think you have to.

And that sets you apart - the vast majority of parties, civic society organisations and people did and do regard them as terrorists.

You seem to have a very fluid view of what is and what isn't terrorism, but I guess that's part and parcel or being an IRA sympathiser.

Vast majority of people I've ever met didn't regard them as terrorists either. People in the media now that was different I grant you that, but you had section 31 so it's not a great tool to measure. Adams first appreance on the Late Show got a lot of support from the audience and that was suppose to be at time when Republican support was at an all time low.

No I don't actually. I think the word "terrorism" has just been devalued of any meaning. I was just pointing out if you consider the IRA a terrorist organization you'd have to consider the British Army as one as well if you want to be consistent in your opposition to "terror" & most people just aren't.
    I never considered the Viet Cong, ANC or PLO as "terrorists" either for example, to me they were fighting a just liberation struggle. I mean the US backed, financed & trained some of the most brutal, murderers in history like the Taliban or the right-wing paramilitaries in central America who carried out the genocide of the Mayans. We were told the Taliban were brave "Freedom Fighters" in the 80's when they were fighting the Russians & evil "terrorists" in the 2000's when they were fighting NATO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Is this 'good Republican' still bunking in the executive landing down in Portlaoise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Seems like a bit of banter that got put of hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Is this 'good Republican' still bunking in the executive landing down in Portlaoise?

he is not a republican, never mind a good republican.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    Seems like a bit of banter that got put of hand.

There may have been drink involved (water)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a
    what you describe as a war was nothing more than a campaign of terror against innocent civilians.

correct, by the rucba and loyalists. the ira did kill civilians and while we must condemn such killings, it was not ira policy to target civilians unlike the rucba and loyalists.
    LordSutch wrote: »

And all in the name of a "United" Ireland

the rucba and loyalists also caried out the same acts.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

correct, by the rucba and loyalists. the ira did kill civilians and while we must condemn such killings, it was not ira policy to target civilians unlike the rucba and loyalists.

Sure that made incidents like dividing factory workers by their religion and shooting the Protestants at Kingsmill fine so. Or the use of incendiary devices at La Mon which meant most victims were burned alive. 'Twasn't policy like?

Could you outline the incidents of proxy bombing carried out by "rucba"?

Thanks.

a

So ??? Who cares??? Killing people is not normal???

None of it is normal. Parades with face masks. Attacks even revenge attacks who says oh my Dad died ...gotta go kill now.

I'm sorry but these people are freaks. All of them.

ALL OF THEM...

Like 'I don't kill people I just march with a face mask on' THAT IS YOUR STANDARD?

The people of the north both sides need to be told a home truth of two. Mainly that a lot of them are acting like scumbags. Not just on the extreme level. Who paints big assed mural on walls ?? WTF??

It's WEIRD!

I used to think all NI people where freaks both sides ..until i met started to meet them and realized they all thought those people were freaks too.

If you have ever worn a face mask outside you are a weird weird person.

• Advertisement

a

tell that to the 2 children killed in warrington. you are familiar with that i assume?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrington_bomb_attacks

So ??? Who cares??? Killing people is not normal???

Actually, it has been normal since the dawn of time and is even continuing to this day by one of the parties to our own conflict/war.
    Namely the British, who have always killed in pursuit of their aims.

Actually, it has been normal since the dawn of time and is even continuing to this day by one of the parties to our own conflict/war.
    Namely the British, who have always killed in pursuit of their aims.
    Do you realize what you are saying is kind of strange?

I can never have a rational conversation with anyone who sympathizes with SF ..they are on another planet...you are better off giving up. They are weird. Half of this stuff is in their heads.

Do you realize what you are saying is kind of strange?

No. Realistic but nothing strange if you open your eyes. When was killing people not 'normal' in pursuit of aims? I'm all ears.

*This in no way suggests I condone the killing of people.

• Advertisement

No. Realistic but nothing strange if you open your eyes. When was killing people not 'normal' in pursuit of aims? I'm all ears.

*This in no way suggests I condone the killing of people.
    What are you talking about?

The British Army isn't killing anyone ...so what are you talking about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

What was the guy they water boarded supposed to have done? Not saying I condone what they did but would like to know what was their excuse for doing it?

Not just at the moment..maybe not. But they have done, many times since our conflict/war ended and will do again...in pursuit of their aims around the world.

I am still waiting for you demonstrate when killing people was not 'normal' in the world.

Not just at the moment..maybe not. But they have done, many times since our conflict/war ended and will do again...in pursuit of their aims around the world.

I am still waiting for you demonstrate when killing people was not 'normal' in the world.
    Now.

As in if you kill your neighbor today I assure you people will think it's not normal. They would think you were weird.

Now.

Nobody is being killed now? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭Farmer Ed

Not defending violence on any side here and this might be seen as an unpopular thing to say after the terrible attacks in the UK. But he sort of has a point. Yes people around the would are still being killed everyday in the name of freedom. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-39598979

Farmer Ed wrote: »
    Not defending violence on any side here and this might be seen as an unpopular thing to say after the terrible attacks in the UK. But he sort of has a point. Yes people around the would are still being killed everyday in the pursuit of aims, whatever they may be.

Slightly amended that to be more precise.

Nobody is being killed now? :eek:
    Not usually. No. It's unusual for people to be killed in ROI. We're lucky. Because we have learnt to be normal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement