Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

side gate

Options
  • 01-06-2017 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im planning to build a side gate to my home. I want to make this out of 18mm marine ply, the opening is about 1200mm so i plan to make two doors, I know this is not necessary but it is my preference.
    On one side is a concrete wall that is slightly off vertical, i'll fix a timber post to this wall and use galvanised hinges etc. The other side is the wall to my house which has a flat rendered surface, my question is should I use a timber post fixed to this wall also or should I just fix the hinges directly into this wall?
    I'm thinking use two timber posts but not sure.. any advice appreciated..

Also the plan is to prime and paint the gate..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Definitely put a post both sides to balance the appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Solid marine ply will have to take a great deal more wind pressure than a slatted gate, especially if it is in a wind tunnel (solid walls on both sides).

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

You'd get a lot more detailed replies if you put this into the DIY section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If you are going to hinge two doors you will have to use a post for each set of hinges.Its going to be tricky to keep both sheets of ply aligned in the middle - ply tends to warp when exposed so you might need to reinforce it with timber battens.Maybe some self closing hinges would work.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

Zebbedee wrote: »
    You'd get a lot more detailed replies if you put this into the DIY section.

thanks,
    Mod can this be moved for above reason please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I would use hook and band hinges: e.g.
    http://www.adverts.ie/other-fixtures-fittings/hook-band-hinges/12006467

Painting external timber is the wrong approach, it needs to be able to breath, so Sadolins or similar
    IMHO, make a single gate using a vertical hit and miss approach on a 4 by 2 frame with half and half joints unless you are up to mortice and tenon.
    With a single gate you have much less drama and two good bolts top and bottom will keep it rigid.
    Cut all the joints first and then treat the timbers with decent preservative, forget about the tree hugger water based eco friendly crap

have a look here, diagonal bracing is critical
    http://www.allanbrightsawmills.co.uk/galleries/gates-devon/garden-gates_devon.html

Note the way the ends over hang the bottom rail, which ideally should be made from 6 by 2

Also protect the top end grain from the rain, google is your friend

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

i dislike how gates can be lifted off band hinges..
    was going to go with these http://www.ie.screwfix.com/smith-and-locke-heavy-duty-scotch-tee-hinge-galvanised-400mm-pack-of-2.html

I didn't know painting timber for outdoor use was the wrong approach.. i'll bare this in mind

I think the construction of the gate you suggest is great but its very labour intensive.. hence I'm opting for marine ply board..

I hope to build a high gate approx 8 foot with a V design at the top to make it more difficult to climb

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Any gate is just a deterrent, nothing more.
    It they want in.....

Have you priced the marine ply...?

Anyway its your gate so I would still make it one, especially with the ply as you can bolt it top and bottom.

What is sometimes done with the hook and band hinges is that three are used on each gate, with the middle one fitted upside down to act as a deterrent to lifting the gate

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Hi,

I actually changed my mind and i've had an offer accepted on those hook and band hinges in the link you sent, they are a very good deal so thank you very much indeed :) hopefully i can close the deal in the coming days.. the middle hinge upside down will work perfect too.
    The marine ply should be about 100-150euro

Yea i'll consider using just one door also..

Advertisement