Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's some advice if you're going to Rome

• 01-06-2017 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Just back from a week there. Absolutely great city to visit. Loved it.
    Now, we were warned about pickpockets - several times. Be very careful we were told - and we were. Our host said they just keep using new tactics.
    We had a small backpack - zipped up and locked. On a tightly packed bus (we think) they blade sliced down the backpack at the side and took what they could. We didn't even know it had happened till hours later. The thieves are *very* clever. So beware - be very aware!! Be especially aware on the busy #40 and #64 bus route. That's their favourite!!
    Local people told us the problem is at epidemic proportions.
    MOTF

P.S.
    We were 'lucky'. They only got an empty camera case.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Gosh, that sounds horrible. What if they had missed the bag and sliced into the side of a person instead by mistake?!
    Thanks for the tip, I'll avoid using any buses when I eventually visit Rome.

I had those same warnings back in the early 90s- so nothing has changed then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

It's no different on the subway either. Never bring more cash with you than you can afford to lose. You just have to be weary but wearing a backpack is inviting attention tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

When using the metro or buses, wear your backpack on your front instead. That way you can see it at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

in Prague and Paris its the same with crowded trams and undergrounds. You cant be careful enough.

BTW, you might think they are crazy to be rummaging at bags, but youd be amazed at what people cart around with them so for the thieves it can be very lucrative.

Sure last week in Munich a lad left his backpack down to pump his bike tyre and it was robbed from right beside him. Turns out he was carting a bag of mini gold bars worth 10s of thousands of euro.
    On intercity trains tourists have had handbags or backpacks stolen with 10s of thousands of euro in cash. Completely unbelieveable that someone would carry so much with them (and that just rises questions as to do they have any wit at all, or was it cash from untaxed ill gotten gains?)

If fools like that were to stop bringing such massive amounts of valuables with them then the thieves wouldn't be targeting backpacks. But there are tourists bringing 1000s in cash in backpacks with them so this is going to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Another rule of thumb is never put valuables into your luggage and then put that luggage into the luggage hold of a bus. Cash, Passports, Camera, iPads etc. should all be taken with you into the bus. Theft from the hold of buses is an epidemic in places like Thailand and throughout South East Asia and even happened in Ireland a few times before. Usually children are let into the hold to do the robbing while the bus is driving along.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 oideas

VG31 wrote: »
    When using the metro or buses, wear your backpack on your front instead. That way you can see it at all times.

You may as well wear a flashing neon sign saying "I'm a tourist".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

oideas wrote: »
    You may as well wear a flashing neon sign saying "I'm a tourist".

It makes no difference, they know you're a tourist anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 oideas

VG31 wrote: »
    It makes no difference, they know you're a tourist anyway.

Not me. I don't have a 1000 euro camera hanging from my neck. I'm not blankly staring at a paper map outside the Coliseum. I'm not dressed in an Ireland jersey and shorts with pasty white legs on display. I blend in seamlessly with the locals wherever I travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

oideas wrote: »
    Not me. I don't have a 1000 euro camera hanging from my neck. I'm not blankly staring at a paper map outside the Coliseum. I'm not dressed in an Ireland jersey and shorts with pasty white legs on display. I blend in seamlessly with the locals wherever I travel.

Me too, what with my Russell Crowe Gladiator T-shirt and authentic slice of pizza. I'm like Jason Bourne up in this Piazza

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Time saving advice. Don't bother going to the Vatican museum. I've been there about 4 times over the last 20 years, and the last time was the worst. Over crowded cattle mart. Next time I go back, I'll be getting the train out to Frascatti for the day to avoid this kind of thing.
    Another tip. Get on the front or back carriage of the trains.

Advertisement