Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I did from near Ballymahon to Mullingar on 23mm tyres last year and while it was very doable I found it wore me down after a while. Mullingar to Athlone felt so much easier in comparison.

Will be doing it next week again (as part of a loop from Athlone to Ballymahon, Mullingar, Athlone) on 25's this time, hopefully feels a bit nicer! My frame won't take 28's...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Grit or tarmac all the way from the Shannon to Maynooth.

Wow that is a long stretch

There's a debate to be had about the relative merits of keeping it green, the barrow way is a flash point on that front

I liked the parts of the grand that were green, but also liked the quiet country roads / grit paths which much like you described were only really used by locals and walkers

My frame won't take 28's...

I'm same, but specialized to a 26 turbo cotton tyre. I think it's a racing tire but i've been wearing it for over a year and I have to say it's very plush and gives a smooth ride

Plus, crucially obv, it has tan walls

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

a148pro wrote: »
    Wow that is a long stretch

There's a debate to be had about the relative merits of keeping it green, the barrow way is a flash point on that front

I liked the parts of the grand that were green, but also liked the quiet country roads / grit paths which much like you described were only really used by locals and walkers

the barrow way is on my bucket list for this yr, planning on the whole way from Roberstown to St. Mullins

someone posted recently that there is an upgrade to a blueway and parts may be closed ?

not sure if i'll do it with the hardtail MTB on 38's or the cross with an option of 28 smooth 33 knobbly or try and squeeze on 38 smooth on the Cx bike ?

any recommendations ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

devonp wrote: »
    the barrow way is on my bucket list for this yr, planning on the whole way from Roberstown to St. Mullins

someone posted recently that there is an upgrade to a blueway and parts may be closed ?

not sure if i'll do it with the hardtail MTB on 38's or the cross with an option of 28 smooth 33 knobbly or try and squeeze on 38 smooth on the Cx bike ?

any recommendations ?

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/BarrowBluewayWorks-PressRelease23062020.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

They're starting at the Athy end.

The section from Lowtown to Monasterevin is literally just grassy canal bank, I've done it on a gravel bike with 40's

• Advertisement

I did it last year on 37s on gravel bike, I would think it should be fine on the 33s. Unless the grass hasn't been cut or it's been very rainy and even then that would only affect small portions

Personally I'd strongly prefer the cx bike as it is a long haul. There was a post somewhere here from lads who did it on a fat bike and found it a real drag. I remember thinking it was perfect run for a gravel bike so think you'd be fine with the cx.

Its a long way so you'll know better as to how long you're willing to do on a mtb

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Definitely a gravel or CX bike on the barrow way unless you only have a hardtail mtb then that's fine. I regularly cycle along it south of Carlow where it is most natural and in the rain it's pretty slippery I wouldn't fancy doing it on road tyres but then if the grass has been cut which it rarely is during the summer you tend to get a load of grass caught up in knobbly tyres.

It's long enough and feels longer as it's basically flat so while there are no climbs there are also no descents so you're pedaling the whole way. There's a mix of tarmac,gravel,mud and grass from Athy - St.Mullins Oh and a **** load of dog **** outside every village along the way.

I have a plan on another thread to pack up from work one evening (not far off the canal) and head off on my merry way to Dungarvan. I live about 200m from the Barrow so can stop off in comfort along the way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

nilhg wrote: »

Some very sloppy journalism there but presumably there is some basis for the alleged dispute over the width of the Greenway. Not sure what width* the Ashtown to the M50 section is but it has always seemed plenty wide enough even when busy.
    *3.5m according to the planning application so half way between what Kildare CoCo and the NTA want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

NTA have a default width of 4m for every greenway, they need to be convinced otherwise. In the planning for the Dodder greeway, they planned for 4m until some local groups convinced them that it just wasn't feasible along some of the river.

I think a stroke of a pen somewhere will get it back on track. The article itself id poorly researched, it will be 142 Km or thereabouts, not 84 km.

• Advertisement

0n a leisurely spin up to the 12th Lock to meet friends for brunch, I checked the widths of some of the sections of towpath. Opposite Shandon it's 3.4m; along by Rathbourne approaching Ashtown it's 2.9m; between Ashtown and the M50 it starts at 2.5m and then widens to 3.5m and on the bridge over the M50 it's 2.0m.
    Are these all going to have to be widened to 4.0m and, if so, will this happen before the social distance is reduced to 1m or the pandemic is brought under control?
    Better news down at the North Strand to Sheriff Street section. I was told by one of the workmen this morning that they are due to be finished in 3 weeks. Any bets on whether the Minister for Transport or the Lord Mayor will cut the ribbon? Maybe they could have one at each end :)

A few photos showing the current state of the Phase 2 works between the North Strand and Sheriff Street. 3 weeks to before it is finished with Eamon Ryan, Luke Kelly and Hazel Chu due to cut the ribbon :rolleyes:

ggO57qb.jpg

awMtWIO.jpg

dqKiitm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can't wait. There's a place I go some evenings after work in Phibsborough and I've realised with the opening of this, I'll be able to make the almost entire journey from work on Lombard street to Phibsborough on fully segregated cycle lanes. I just hope there aren't scumbag issues like the Grand Canal greenway has. Tried to use it a week ago thinking it was already opened and there were already a few hanging around the entrance at Sherriff street in anticipation.

The section from the North Strand towards Croke Park can look bad and I've seen a bit of dealing going on. No hassle from anyone though and hopefully the new section won't be any worse.

I was living there until recently enough, the bridge beside Croker has a few drinkers and casual soft drug takers beside it, but I always found them harmless. Incidentally, a Garda car is parked here on a very regular basis.

The sides of that bridge look like an easel for the graffiti crew, maybe they could get them to so something like this, or this to prevent it going to hell. Looks ugly enough as it is.

I welcome it either way, would have liked to have had it if I was living there. I wonder if they're sorting out the steps at Jones's Rd as well, they were a right PITA.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yeah I use the section between North strand and phibsboro and haven't had issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

KevRossi wrote: »
    I was living there until recently enough, the bridge beside Croker has a few drinkers and casual soft drug takers beside it, but I always found them harmless. Incidentally, a Garda car is parked here on a very regular basis.

hmm, they've been staked out there for a few years at this point. Wonder who lives on that street? Someone famous or someone infamous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The main problem is all the broken glass along that stretch. Isn't there anyone in DCC that cleans up the canal route on a regular basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

VonLuck wrote: »
    The main problem is all the broken glass along that stretch. Isn't there anyone in DCC that cleans up the canal route on a regular basis?

I think it's Waterways Ireland's responsibility. It'd be worth contacting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Waterways Ireland have a Dublin operations team for managing stuff like this, dublincanals@waterwaysireland.org It's the email address I was given from Waterways Ireland when I came upon a pile of dumped bottles after Paddy's day this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

I cycled the entire length from maynooth to Cloondara yesterday and took a rough record of my times. I was on a hybrid and took it pretty handy against a moderate head wind. I did up a time chart like I have used when cruising the Shannon. Its in this link. Hopefully it's useful to someone

https://www.facebook.com/1549278628668036/posts/2595449264050962/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So 60 mins from Maynooth to Enfield, what's the average touring speed involved?

Hurrache wrote: »
    So 60 mins from Maynooth the Enfield, what's the average touring speed involved?
    It's a rough guide and I reckon I was doing about 18 to 20kph

I've cycled the canal a few times and I'd put those times down as accurate. They would be discounting longer stops for food, coffee etc. but they are a good indicator of dawdling/cruising and stopping to look at stuff on a regular basis.

bovis wrote: »
    I cycled the entire length from maynooth to Cloondara yesterday and took a rough record of my times. I was on a hybrid and took it pretty handy against a moderate head wind. I did up a time chart like I have used when cruising the Shannon. Its in this link. Hopefully it's useful to someone

https://www.facebook.com/1549278628668036/posts/2595449264050962/

Fair play for promoting it

Suspect this type of stuff will get knocked off a lot with the "new normal"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Could you cycle from Lucan to Cloondara without diverting? Looking to make a roundabout trip home one evening. Also is the Richmond Inn in Cloondara a good spit for some grub?

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Could you cycle from Lucan to Cloondara without diverting? Looking to make a roundabout trip home one evening. Also is the Richmond Inn in Cloondara a good spit for some grub?

Yes sure. Come up from Lucan via St Catherine's Park, exit via the housing estate closest to Leixlip Louisa Bridge and pick up the towpath from there. Surface is variable until Maynooth but full greenway surface after that. Richmond Inn is a great spot for food. You will need to make a booking cause of covid19.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Hey guys,
    Just wondering is it possible to go from Broombridge to Enfield or Hill of Down fully on the canal?
    Looking to plan something for one of the days over the Aug B holiday. Out and back in a day.
    Ta.

koutoubia wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Just wondering is it possible to go from Broombridge to Enfield or Hill of Down fully on the canal?
    Looking to plan something for one of the days over the Aug B holiday. Out and back in a day.
    Ta.

It's doable but there are a few rough sections along the way particularly if you are on a road bike. The worst is just beyond Castleknock Station (The Deep Sinking) and is probably best avoided if it's anyway wet. There are a few more clay/grass/mud sections between Leixlip and Maynooth but it's grand from there on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It's doable but there are a few rough sections along the way particularly if you are on a road bike. The worst is just beyond Castleknock Station (The Deep Sinking) and is probably best avoided if it's anyway wet. There are a few more clay/grass/mud sections between Leixlip and Maynooth but it's grand from there on.

Would agree with this. Between Castleknock station and St Mochtas crossing is very bad. Doable, but you're at a good height above the canal and there's a steep drop down to it if anything went wrong. The stretch isn't actually that long, but it's essentially exposed (large) tree roots all along it. And as mentioned, it would be fairly tricky if wet. You could always do it and just disembark and walk it if you didn't feel comfortable.

Once you get beyond that, it's fairly plain sailing in comparison.

Advertisement