Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Duckjob wrote: »
    Depressing to see the mess Irish society has collapsed into.

I would agree that what's happening in the pictures is not good, but do you really believe it's indicative of Irish society as a whole descending into a 'mess'?

This seems like 'hasty generalisation' to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

cletus wrote: »
    I would agree that what's happening in the pictures is not good, but do you really believe it's indicative of Irish society as a whole descending into a 'mess'?

This seems like 'hasty generalisation' to me

No, not necessarily as whole, but I've visited many European cities, and spent time travelling by foot and by bike through so called "rougher" parts of those cities, and the contrast between how people in these areas (and in particular, as in this case, kids) conduct themselves towards other people there and here can be quite stark. I'm quite sure I've never had anything like being randomly called a C*NT or being threatened to be stabbed by 10 yr olds on the streets anywhere outside of Ireland. There's an anger and aggression in a certain subsection of our youth that we ignore until they grow into teenagers / young adults / adults with the same attitudes, at which point we can't ignore the problem anymore.

Maybe some of those areas I mentioned are no go areas at night, but by day they felt perfectly safe and normal to me. Our equivalent areas seem to be no-go areas even in daytime, and it's a shame that we let this situation develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'm not sure what good taking photos of them will do, it's obviously antagonising then and I don't see the point. I'd get would up if someone started taking photos of me. Anti-social behavior is rife in the area, I lived beside Croke Park for a few years and experienced it first hand. It's a generational issue and it won't be solved overnight.

Dick Warner did a documentary on the canals 30 years ago, he mentioned that certain stretches on the Royal and Grand were dangerous in the 1700's, were dangerous then and are still dangerous today.

FWIW I intend using that stretch in the mornings and in the evenings when it's wet, apart from that I've no intention of using it until it's policed properly, which I don't hold out much hope for. In the meantime try not to wind them up as it makes life easier for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Duckjob wrote: »
    No, not necessarily as whole, but I've visited many European cities, and spent time travelling by foot and by bike through so called "rougher" parts of those cities, and the contrast between how people in these areas (and in particular, as in this case, kids) conduct themselves towards other people there and here can be quite stark. I'm quite sure I've never had anything like being randomly called a C*NT or being threatened to be stabbed by 10 yr olds on the streets anywhere outside of Ireland. There's an anger and aggression in a certain subsection of our youth that we ignore until they grow into teenagers / young adults / adults with the same attitudes, at which point we can't ignore the problem anymore.

Maybe some of those areas I mentioned are no go areas at night, but by day they felt perfectly safe and normal to me. Our equivalent areas seem to be no-go areas even in daytime, and it's a shame that we let this situation develop.

I agree, I just don't think it's indicative of Ireland as a whole, a big sweeping statements like that don't add anything to the discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Status update: https://www.facebook.com/477415742607308/posts/1213490335666508/
    The Royal Canal runs from Dublin to Longford with a total distance of 146 kilometres. The Royal Canal Greenway will be a dedicated off-road cycling and walking route along the Royal Canal including paving, landscaping, art works and a viewing plaza of the Canal. CCTV and lighting will also be installed along the route.

DUBLIN CITY SECTION OF GREENWAY:

The Dublin city section of the greenway will provide a high quality walking and cycling route of over 7km from the Samuel Beckett Bridge and Guild Street in the Docklands, through North Strand, Drumcondra and Phibsborough and out to Ashtown.

CURRENT STATUS:

Phase 1: Guild Street to Upper Sheriff Street (0.5 Km) – Completed in 2009.

Phase 2: Upper Sheriff Street to North Strand (0.7km) – Completed July 2020

Phase 3: North Strand to Phibsborough, (2.1km) – Detailed design phase. It is expected that construction will begin at the end of Quarter 4 in 2020 and it will take approximately two years to complete.

Phase 4: Cross Guns Bridge, Phibsborough to Longford Bridge, Ashtown (4.3Km) - This project has 4 sub-phases.

Phase 4A involves the introduction of a contra-flow bus and cycle lane over Broome Bridge in Cabra - It is currently in construction and it will be completed by October 2020.

Phase 4B involves main towpath upgrade - It is anticipated that construction will commence in Quarter 4 of 2020, with likely completion in Quarter 4
    of 2021. Dredging of the canal will be required for some sections.

Phase 4C involves remainder of towpath upgrade, including 7th Lock/Liffey Junction railway underpass upgrade
    AND
    Phase 4D (Tolka Valley Park –
    Phoenix Park greenway link via Ashtown) are currently in the design stage - A
    timeline for the completion of 4C and 4D sub-phases is not possible at present. However, it is hoped that all of Phase 4 of the Royal Canal Greenway will be completed by the end of 2023.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

cletus wrote: »

It's indicative of areas like this descending into a mess.
    These kids don't just pick that behaviour up, they learn it from their parents.

I was just a guy passing by, who stopped to talk to some local kids, about a great new social amenity in their area. They were openly hostile from the outset. I was able to talk to a few of them rationally about their behaviour, but most of them were bonkers.

Their open hostility to Gardaí is very worrying.
    KevRossi wrote: »
    I'm not sure what good taking photos of them will do, it's obviously antagonising then and I don't see the point.

I asked some of them if I could take their pictures, and when they said no, I didn't.
    Before I left, and was taking some pictures of something else entirely, they all started going off, so I just turned my camera on them. I wanted to document that behaviour. I won't apologise for it. I have as much a right to enjoy that space as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sherriff street has been a ****hole for as long as I can remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Effects wrote: »
    It's indicative of areas like this descending into a mess.

Descending?

Its been like as long as I remember. Worse in the 80s and 90s.
    Better now than even 5 or 6 years ago. But it is what it is.
    Its not unexpected to see armed Garda in that general area.

But in general its greatly improved. I think we should focus on that. I think this route is a great option for commuters, during office hours.

beauf wrote: »
    Descending?

Yeah, I guess I feel it can always get worse!

I used to work with youth groups in the area, 20 years ago, and it was a nightmare back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The best thing about them is how obviously overweight they all are. They need to stop eating junk food and get out on a fcking bike.

• Advertisement

a148pro wrote: »
    The best thing about them is how obviously overweight they all are. They need to stop eating junk food and get out on a fcking bike.

Just not my bike hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Used the new cycleway yesterday. Same experience as others. Kids causing a nuisance. I had to cycle on the grass as they had taken over the cycle track. I then continued onto the old canal path towards Croke park where I was joined by someone joyriding with a mini motorbike on the path. Lawless.

They are already storing tyres for Halloween down there and it's only just August.
    They probably think it'll be a great spot for a bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The kids will spend a lot of time down there, to be fair, it's the only decent green spot around for a good bit.

I think for most of the locals they will have no 'connection' to it, as it's a thoroughfare for other people. I would have thought that Waterways Ireland might have tried to get some engagement there, like allotments, a 5-a-side football pitch, or something where people would be around on a regular basis. The more people, the less messing around.

My greatest fear is that there will be some sort of an attack and that it will start to deteriorate over few years, as I said, it's an ideal early commute, but a PITA in the evening if the anti-social behaviour stuff doesn't stop.

duffmann wrote: »
    Used the new cycleway yesterday. Same experience as others. Kids causing a nuisance. I had to cycle on the grass as they had taken over the cycle track. I then continued onto the old canal path towards Croke park where I was joined by someone joyriding with a mini motorbike on the path. Lawless.

Feck :( what time was it? Planning a trip on it at 5:30pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

You're right - I haven't been down but there's probably nothing for the local community specifically in it, unless they're already into pleasure cycling, just a route for people who don't live in the area to come in and out of it. Doesn't excuse the behaviour but its a facet of it.

a bike park might have been an idea, city kids actually love bike and might discourage them smashing bottles on the track which is probably inevitable

the cynic in me would suggest they'll still wreck it but would have a better chance

Stark wrote: »

It was about 5:30pm when I travelled it.

KevRossi wrote: »
    The kids will spend a lot of time down there, to be fair, it's the only decent green spot around for a good bit.

I think for most of the locals they will have no 'connection' to it, as it's a thoroughfare for other people. I would have thought that Waterways Ireland might have tried to get some engagement there, like allotments, a 5-a-side football pitch, or something where people would be around on a regular basis. The more people, the less messing around.

My greatest fear is that there will be some sort of an attack and that it will start to deteriorate over few years, as I said, it's an ideal early commute, but a PITA in the evening if the anti-social behaviour stuff doesn't stop.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/teen-fight-gangs-video-dublin-18724104
    Maybe a boxing ring would be appropriate

Stark wrote: »

You have a good view ahead of you, so you'll see any trouble up ahead usually.

I spent some time on the new section earlier today, about lunchtime. No bad element hanging around thankfully.
    Saw a lot of dads out cycling with their young kids which was great to see then enjoying it.

• Advertisement

Did it at 5:30 yesterday. Was a few of them standing around blocking the entrance which was a bit intimidating but pushed through and didn't get hassle thankfully. Quite a few people using it. A bit of weaving through the usual dimwitted walkers who insist on using the cycle lane instead of the pedestrian lane. Few broken glass bottles on the bridge :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

duffmann wrote: »

This is the second time in a could of weeks where there been an absolute tonne of gardai called to sort something on that stretch.

The cycle lane had smashed glass across it on the new section near amiens street yesterday morning too.

Weepsie wrote: »
    This is the second time in a could of weeks where there been an absolute tonne of gardai called to sort something on that stretch.

The cycle lane had smashed glass across it on the new section near amiens street yesterday morning too.

I have got a couple of punctures on the Luke Kelly stretch because of glass. I use the road now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I was on the new stretch last week and I seen nothing to put me off it(i actually in the area). Saying that its opened out abit when you go under the railway bridge and I do expect to see people hanging out drinking and selling/taking drugs. I cycle the canal a fair bit coming and going to work. The stretch from north strand to jones rd was were they were doing drugs and at charleville mall library were the local dipsos do be. Further on up the canal there are drinkers all the way up to broombridge. I caught a couple of drunken tosspots(men in there 30s I might add) one night trying to rope the pathway at jones rd. Anybody heading down from dorset st and cycling under the bridge anyway fast would've ended up in the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Used the new section for the first time this morning, some amount of dog crap on it. Apart from that it is a far more enjoyable way to get into the city from North Strand, compared to going in by either Seville Place or Connolly. Will be using this instead of Seville Place from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Used this for the spin home this evening and saw loads of smashed eggs on the track and counted 5 large cartons, so easily 100 eggs in total. Hopefully this doesn't track become unusable.

Saw a couple of liferings thrown into the canal too and rubbish everywhere (although there doesn't seem to be any bins along the route).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

It's nearly the perfect canal path now for a road bike. Just need to do away with that few kilometres of muddy grassy bank. That's nearly worse than the deep sinking as at least in the deep sinking you are expecting to go slowly.
    The grassy track with the muddy tyre tracks is fairly slippy when wet. I came straight off the bike within 50m of hitting it there last week, lured into a false sense of security by the preceding hours and hours of easy extremely well sign posted riding.
    The new section before Spencer Dock is a pleasure, great to see all the improvements.
    Much like the Royal canal though, there is just that unnecessarily muddy section close to Dublin, a cynic might think someone in charge is trying to avoid Dubs on road bikes doing out and back spins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,330 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Half the fun of the canals though is getting off the road bike and doing it on a cx, gravel, tourer or mtb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That new stretch of the greenway is a complete mess. Litter everywhere. You'd think the locals (assuming it's the locals) would take care of their area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

VonLuck wrote: »
    That new stretch of the greenway is a complete mess. Litter everywhere. You'd think the locals (assuming it's the locals) would take care of their area.

The section around clonsilla and Coolmine is terrible.

Advertisement