Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

VonLuck wrote: »
    That new stretch of the greenway is a complete mess. Litter everywhere. You'd think the locals (assuming it's the locals) would take care of their area.

No bins on it yet (that I can see) but it is a disgrace the amount of rubbish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

VonLuck wrote: »
    That new stretch of the greenway is a complete mess. Litter everywhere. You'd think the locals (assuming it's the locals) would take care of their area.

Nah, there's a huge amount of people in that area that don't care and just dump their litter anywhere they can. They don't even think about it.

I was stopped at the lights once, close to the south entrance of the new cycle path. Watched a women clean up her front garden/yard, and rather than put the stuff in her own bin, she just dumped it over her front wall, onto the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I think it would be great if the "Royal Canal Greenway" was complete from the city centre to maynooth (at least).

There should be a cycle route from the basin/docklands station in the IFSC so commuters could cycle the route to North Strand, Drumcondra Rd, Cross Guns. there is a challenge with the railway line at North Strand.

Another opportunity could be with the extenstion of the LUAS to finglas at Broombridge, that a cycle way along the canal is accommodated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

petronius wrote: »
    I think it would be great if the "Royal Canal Greenway" was complete from the city centre to maynooth (at least).

There should be a cycle route from the basin/docklands station in the IFSC so commuters could cycle the route to North Strand, Drumcondra Rd, Cross Guns. there is a challenge with the railway line at North Strand.

Another opportunity could be with the extenstion of the LUAS to finglas at Broombridge, that a cycle way along the canal is accommodated.

The completion of the Greenway from the North Strand to Maynooth is under way but is taking way longer than it should. There are numerous posts here about the progress (or lack of it) on the various sections if you care to look.

There is a cycle route from the Convention Centre to Cross Guns and Castleknock along the Canal towpath but most of it needs to be upgraded to Greenway standard.

The Greenway will pass under the Luas extension to Finglas with a new bridge to be built at Broombridge for the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭raheny red

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

This is great news for any Leixlip residents! Looking forward to smoother shopping trips and coffee runs to Maynooth. :)

EfdjlizWsAEHi1r?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

edit: apologies for hugeness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

And it’ll be a free run with everyone is playing due to the covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Decided finally to give this a go.

Took the train yesterday morning to Mullingar to cycle back to Dublin. Had a brilliant day out. A pleasure to cycle on with the peacefulness and lack of cars.

The greenway is fantastic, until you reach Dublin that is. I went through the Deep Sinking, after the showers was treacherous in parts, the roots were like ice.

Has anyone done it from Athlone? I might take the train there next time and work my way back.

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Has anyone done it from Athlone? I might take the train there next time and work my way back.

Train to Longford, cycle the Greenway to Maynooth, and train to Dublin is a great spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

McGrath5 wrote: »
    Decided finally to give this a go.

Took the train yesterday morning to Mullingar to cycle back to Dublin. Had a brilliant day out. A pleasure to cycle on with the peacefulness and lack of cars.

The greenway is fantastic, until you reach Dublin that is. I went through the Deep Sinking, after the showers was treacherous in parts, the roots were like ice.

Good work!

Yes, from Athlone is a perfect tarmac surface all the way to Mullingar (bar a very short stretch of quarry dust finish crossing the bog near Athlone). So it's basically the same cycle, with 45km on a car-free route with excellent surface added on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

except the Athlone -Mullingar bit on the old railway line is a bit boring compared to the canal proper

I find the canal very interesting and scenic alright but also really like the old train stations and occasional elevated views on the Athlone to Mullingar stretch. I actually find a lot depends on mood / mindset / fitness! I've felt all sorts of different things on both sections!

buffalo wrote: »
    This is great news for any Leixlip residents! Looking forward to smoother shopping trips and coffee runs to Maynooth. :)

EfdjlizWsAEHi1r?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
    edit: apologies for hugeness

I assume this was to do with some positive news about the Kildare section of the Greenway from the Fingal Border to Maynooth. Can't find any reference to it other than the NTA reviewing the design due to Covid concerns!

Update: Just got a reply to a similar request on the Royal Canal Greenway FB page. Looks like the NTA have backed down and allowed the tendering to go ahead as intended :)
    LZDhDzj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Stark wrote: »

:mad::mad::mad:
    It's a fine piece of work and it's nice to get out of the traffic even for a short while. I've been using it since the day it opened and have noticed it deteriorating already. I'll continue to use it in the morning but I doubt I'll use it later in the evening on the journey home :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

I assume this was to do with some positive news about the Kildare section of the Greenway from the Fingal Border to Maynooth. Can't find any reference to it other than the NTA reviewing the design due to Covid concerns!

Update: Just got a reply to a similar request on the Royal Canal Greenway FB page. Looks like the NTA have backed down and allowed the tendering to go ahead as intended :)

I presume you can't see the image in my post? Because you've posted the same pic! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

****ing filth. Be heartbreaking to have to abandon it but I don't think any solution was found for the Grand Canal greenway either?

Looks like the only thing that possibly could be done is to remove all the fencing/walls from alongside it so at least people have some escape route if cornered by the thugs. At the moment, it looks like there's no escape if you get into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Stark wrote: »
    ****ing filth. Be heartbreaking to have to abandon it but I don't think any solution was found for the Grand Canal greenway either?

Looks like the only thing that possibly could be done is to remove all the fencing/walls from alongside it so at least people have some escape route if cornered by the thugs. At the moment, it looks like there's no escape if you get into trouble.

Some locals objected to 'escape routes' as they knew this would happen and they don't want those kids on their streets. If they are throwing stones at houses, then the only hope is that some of the local self styled 'hard men' live up to their reputation and take matters into their own hands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

posted this on a similar thread in the infrastructure forum, also highlighted by the racist incident from a few days ago:

this is something i've been worried about in relation to the proposed stretch between castleknock and coolmine railway stations - if it's built on the castleknock side of the canal (as many local residents want), it will result in a 2km stretch without any entry/exit points - the greenway will be 'trapped' between the railway line and the canal.
    so if you did meet someone you wanted to avoid, and you're already three quarters of the way along the section, you'd have to backtrack one and a half kilometres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Seems they have overcome the width issues

https://twitter.com/joeneville2010/status/1295443687149887496

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Smilinpolitely

I'm planning a spin from maynooth to centre parcs along the canal next week. Has anyone any advice on where is best to leave the canal to get to centre parcs? Anyone done a similar trip any advice? Thanks in advance

I'm planning a spin from maynooth to centre parcs along the canal next week. Has anyone any advice on where is best to leave the canal to get to centre parcs? Anyone done a similar trip any advice? Thanks in advance

There's a newly completed connection directly from the canal greenway :)

http://www.longfordcoco.ie/longfordcoco/services/regeneration/outdoor-recreational-infrastructure-scheme/newcastle-woods-to-the-royal-canal-greenway.html

edit: here's a post on it from a few weeks ago showing the approximate location where you'd need to branch off.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114114653&postcount=1638

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bovis

Just after Guy Bridge (heading west) there is a sharp turn and there's a new greenway across the field that runs along the Inny river into Newcastle woods. From there you can cycle the entire perimeter of center parcs on the outside within the woods or go up to the Newcastle woods carpark and take the local road about 500m to the entrance of CP.

https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/13402357/guys-bridge-kilcurry-county-longford

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Smilinpolitely

Thanks for the quick responses. Really looking forward to the cycle, the route looks great. Hopefully covid doesn't put a stop to it.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Locals won't be happy with this.

They are the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yes but the scumbags are only a very small proportion of those communities. The great error 3rd parties make looking in from the outside is assuming all the people from those communities are like that. The people who suffer the most from this behaviour are not middle chattering class cyclists whose day is ruined by encountering them but the decent people in those communities who live with them all the time and the solution involves engaging with those decent people.

buffalo wrote: »
    I presume you can't see the image in my post? Because you've posted the same pic! :pac:

Yes, it was blank both on the Android phone and the PC but, oddly enough, it's now showing on the phone. Good that someone in the NTA eventually realised that delaying the Kildare section yet again for the sake of an extra metre of width just didn't make sense.

Ah yeah, I totally understand that. It doesn't take too many scumbags to ruin an entire area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Advertisement