Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

What am I missing here? Temporary? Shouldn't it be permanent?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Any Covid-related upgrades are classed as temporary.

Permanent upgrades require a much more detailed series of designs, consultations, PP, etc., and would take months/years to implement - if they succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I think (and hope) that the path is "temporary" as opposed to temporary if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

buffalo wrote: »
    Any Covid-related upgrades are classed as temporary.

Permanent upgrades require a much more detailed series of designs, consultations, PP, etc., and would take months/years to implement - if they succeed.

Ah right. Cheers for clarifying.

It's weird to see this announced today as I literally cycles from Clonsilla to St Catherine's Park yesterday. Took the canal from Clonsilla train station to Collins bridge, and then had to take the risky dismount and walk across the bridge before continuing on down to St Catherine's Park.

I was only thinking during the return journey that there really should be a cycle path between the canal and the park.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I was only thinking during the return journey that there really should be a cycle path between the canal and the park.
    It can be a dodgy stretch to cycle along. There's a fair bit of traffic wanting to cross the Liffey which travels along there and with the various bends, drivers can get quite impatient with the cyclist vermin holding them up (which invariably leads to stupid overtakes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭tnegun

Been out a good bit lately between Maynooth and Enfield with the family, there really needs to be some guidance on which side to use people militantly sticking to the side they feel is right and shouting at kids ffs!

I just told them to cop on to themselves we did our best to stay left but its impossible to do so all the time. Particularly when passing several groups together walking or running all over the path and as for the cyclist doing 30kph cycling on the right side making 6 of us get out of his way with no one else around WTF!

Its a fantastic resource to have on our door step and its been overwhelmingly positive plus I'd still take it any day over the road just needs someone to make a call travel on the left pass on the right, walking, running or cycling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

What would people who've done this choose to do the full spin west to east on -

Road Bike on 26s
    Gravel Bike on 30s
    Gravel bike on 38s

I figure the gravel bike makes the most sense but given I'm looking at 160k plus I think I would prefer to be on the road bike

Seems to be plenty of people who've done it on 25s and smaller

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

a148pro wrote: »

Road Bike on 26s
    Gravel Bike on 30s
    Gravel bike on 38s

I figure the gravel bike makes the most sense but given I'm looking at 160k plus I think I would prefer to be on the road bike

Gravel bike on 38s relax and enjoy the spin.

That also involves NOT changing any tire which is by far the most preferable option

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

Road Bike on 26s
    Gravel Bike on 30s
    Gravel bike on 38s

Can you explain to a novice? is that tyre types?

• Advertisement

Tire widths - so the bigger tire is better able to take a bumpy surface, but is slower than the thinner smoother tires

Landrover or Porsche basically

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Tire widths - so the bigger tire is better able to take a bumpy surface, but is slower than the thinner smoother tires

Land rover V Porsche is the opposite though. The Landy will have narrow tyres whereas the Porky will have wide tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I thought that things were leaning towards wider tyres being slightly faster because of the better rolling resistance these days?

Land rover V Porsche is the opposite though. The Landy will have narrow tyres whereas the Porky will have wide tyres.

Whisht, I'm already struggling to bluff one set of afficianados

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Sheriff St section - Hopefully this might make it nicer/safer to cycle through

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/stephen-gately-park-named-after-18901605

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

jos28 wrote: »
    Sheriff St section - Hopefully this might make it nicer/safer to cycle through

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/stephen-gately-park-named-after-18901605

Mixed feelings about that. Nice gesture, but I'm not sure how happy you would be to have that stretch named after you given the issues it has at the moment. Hopefully the locals will give it a bit more respect.

Also, all these years I thought he died from choking on his own vomit after a night out. Turns out it was a congenital heart defect. A shameful rumour spread by some tabloid newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Vague memories of the tabloids being a thundering disgrace at the time. "Oh he's a gay lad. How can we make this story as salacious as possible?"

Stark wrote: »
    Vague memories of the tabloids being a thundering disgrace at the time. "Oh he's a gay lad. How can we make this story as salacious as possible?"

There was an appalling piece by some **** about how it shattered the image of happy gay relationships

Actually it wasn't quite a tabloid, I think it was the sindo, probably worse

Thargor wrote: »
    I thought that things were leaning towards wider tyres being slightly faster because of the better rolling resistance these days?

I think that's the progression from 23 to about 26, the theory being that most roads are quite bumpy and 23s are only faster on perfect roads

However that curve levels off somewhere and 38s are never faster on a road for the equivalent effort of a 26 or so

Road Bike on 26s
    Gravel Bike on 30s
    Gravel bike on 38s

Did it on the 38s at 50 PSI. Notes to self / others to come:-

1 - don't be worrying about the optimum, just get out on whatever bike you're in the mood to ride and enjoy
    2 - above advice was good, in that you will not feel uncomfortable riding on grit or bumpy road on a gravel bike, you may feel that way on a nice racing bike you're worrying about damaging
    3 - that said, doable as this route clearly is on either 25s or 38r, I'd say the sweet spot is around 28 - 32?

Route marking isn't great, or else maybe the route has deviated as the signs for the royal canal way often led to the grass side? Good and rather obvious rule of thumb is don't go down a grass side (applause). At times there will be grit or road on both side, in which case follow the bicycle sign if there is one or the famine way sign (?).

Also contrary to what I thought I had read above, it isn't grit the whole way, there's a decent chunk between maynooth and dublin, even apart from the deep sinking that's basically mud track

Incidentally 38s at 50 were still unsuitable for the deep sinking. I'd been on it before on various bikes and thought it was a lot worse this time, a lot of mud and very slippy tree roots. Maybe nothing is great on this terrain but was tempted to stop and let air out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

I think the National Famine Way signs are the most recent and follow the upgraded side of the canal. The older brown Royal Canal Way signs often point to the wrong side of the canal now, rather than the newer upgraded side. Royal canal is only completed from Maynooth to Clondara. Some good surfaces between Dublin and Maynooth, but the obvious horrible section is around Deep Sinking. I did Mullingar to Ballmahon recently, always a treat to get out on the canal. More cyclists than usual, but still hugely under utilised, and a fantastic day out on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I've been on to Waterways Ireland a few times trying to find out when the long-promised new signage, maps and website were going to be launched but they still can't give a date. They are using Covid as an excuse but I'm sure, if this was a motorway, the signage would have been sorted long before now and the Ministers would have been queuing up to cut the ribbon.

On the Maynooth to Castleknock section, there are plenty of posts here pointing out the unsatisfactory and unfinished state of the towpath. For the record, 8.1km is a combination of grass and clay (including about 2.4km in the Deep Sinking that includes exposed tree roots and rocks) and the remaining 8.6km is either gravel or tarmac. Kildare and Fingal County Councils have been dragging their heels on upgrading this to Greenway standard for way too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They are planning on closing the level crossings and building all sorts of road bridges and pedestrian/cycle bridges at coolmine/deep sinking. I wonder how that will effect the green way. Lots of changes being proposed.

beauf wrote: »
    They are planning on closing the level crossings and building all sorts of road bridges and pedestrian/cycle bridges at coolmine/deep sinking. I wonder how that will effect the green way. Lots of changes being proposed.

I had a look at that: https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/about-us/iarnrod-eireann-projects-and-investments/dart-programme/dart-west-public-consultation/dart-west-line-emerging-preferred-option#phisborough-glasnevin-clonsilla

In general the proposed changes don't seem to affect the Greenway but they will affect access to it and cycle routes crossing the canal. At Ashtown they are showing a new tunnelled road that will run under the canal, railway and Greenway and at Coolmine ramps and a pedestrian/cyclist bridge over the canal or a diversion via a new road bridge. It's hard to know how the Greenway will be affected as plans for the Deep Sinking have yet to be published or agreed. At Porterstown and Clonsilla, they are also proposing ramps and pedestrian/cyclist bridges over the canal but no real impact on the Greenway route.

CapnHex wrote: »
    The older brown Royal Canal Way signs often point to the wrong side of the canal now, rather than the newer upgraded side.

This is what I thought but maybe they point to the green side as being (potentially) nicer to walk on? As in, its deliberate? The reality is even in boots I'd probably choose the paved / gritted side if there wasn't at least a worn path in the grass, walking through heavy grass for relatively little gain wouldn't be too appealing on such a long route. The green bits on Barrow way are much more attractive, in terms of aesthetics, because its a river, and also they get more footfall so there's a worn path.

Like you I was really impressed with the amenity though and it is good to see a fair few people using it, pleasure cyclists, touring cyclists, local commuters, kids, locals out for a jog or walk, people playing some kind of water polo type game in canoes. Like the Old Rail Trail, it could be marketed a bit to make it more of a "destination". Corlea is nearby, Abbeyshrule has a ruined abbey.

Just by way of explanation of the new signage, and presumably, those brown metal shoe ornaments you see along these routes

https://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/165km-national-famine-way-launched-the-trail-has-the-potential-to-open-up-rural-ireland-39519708.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This map shows the side to take on a bike on the Longford sections. Can't find a better version of it online, but there are a few along the route.

The dotted line is the one to follow, this path always has a sealed surface or the limestone grit. The old brown signs follow a lot of this route and are meant for walkers.

After Abbeyshrule, stay on the north side to Ballinacarrigy, then south side to Mary Lynch's pub which is east of Mullingar at the point it crosses the N4. Then back north for a few Km.

43046244_1077700472394981_7862297274414530560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=_O2q3VxshUAAX8967Ul&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=1b1566c42364128b7e375b8bcaa24e24&oe=5F7F0EEF

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Is it really that much of an issue? I wasn't even thinking about it or looking at any signs and didnt go wrong once from Longford back to Dublin, its completely intuitive.

I was more or less the same, was just worried about going a few k only to meet dead end and having to double back, as experienced by previous posters

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Is it really that much of an issue? I wasn't even thinking about it or looking at any signs and didnt go wrong once from Longford back to Dublin, its completely intuitive.

Lucky you!

There are certainly a number of bridges where there is a paved road/path on both banks of the canal. In some cases both of these continue to the next bridge so it doesn't really matter which you take but in other locations, one will come to a dead end or a grassy path and the other will continue on. As others have mentioned, you certainly can't rely on the brown "Royal Canal Way" signs.

This is my route from Longford to Cloondara to Dublin from last year. You need to zoom right in to see which bank the Greenway is on. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/27200844

Advertisement