Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Does anyone know if there has been any progress on the next phase of the greenway from the North Strand out towards Blanchardstown, or has it been shelved?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

VonLuck wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there has been any progress on the next phase of the greenway from the North Strand out towards Blanchardstown, or has it been shelved?

It looks like there is a fair bit of works going on between Ashtown and Broombridge at the moment. Although I'm not certain that's greenway works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

It looks like there is a fair bit of works going on between Ashtown and Broombridge at the moment. Although I'm not certain that's greenway works.

That'd be the new Pelletstown train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I havnt used the canal in years, if you start at the Point is there a half decent hour out hour back to it?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

https://councilmeetings.dublincity.ie/documents/s29919/278%20Cycling%20Infrastructure.pdf was posted over on another thread and includes an update on the phase 3 and 4 plans.

silverharp wrote: »
    I havnt used the canal in years, if you start at the Point is there a half decent hour out hour back to it?

Depends on how fast you're going. All the way to Castleknock (12th lock) is paved but it's very rough beyond that along the Deep Sinking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,420 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not about cycling, but about the royal canal and its restoration:

https://www.facebook.com/waterwaysireland/videos/182505813595978

Incremental progress: https://www.waterwaysireland.org/news-centre/marine-notices/1161/marine-notice-05-of-2021---royal-canal---phibsboro-to-ashtown---towpath-investigation-works---jan-to-march-2021

Towpath investigation works – Jan to March 2021

Waterways Ireland wishes to notify towpath users that site investigation works have commenced on the Royal Canal towpath between Phibsboro and Ashtown and will continue until March 2021.

Dublin City Council have classified these as part of critical infrastructure works so they will also continue over the current period of increased Covid 19 restrictions.

The towpath will remain open but users should exercise due care and caution when passing any vehicles or plant along the path.

Am I right in saying that's part of Phase 4?

Has there been any works for Phase 3 as of yet?

Am I right in saying that's part of Phase 4?

Has there been any works for Phase 3 as of yet?

Yes, Cross Guns at Phibsborough to Ashtown is Phase 4 and was due to go to tender this month. A bit worrying that they are going to be undertaking investigation works for the next three months as the results would normally feed into the tender documents.

Phase 3 was due to go to tender last month but I wouldn't be surprised if that has slipped too.

I read this morning that Phase 3 is to commence construction in August with an expected 15 month programme. Phase 4 to follow shortly thereafter in September, also with a 15 month programme.

A shame about the delay, but glad to see dates confirmed and it's actually going ahead.

• Advertisement

I read this morning that Phase 3 is to commence construction in August with an expected 15 month programme. Phase 4 to follow shortly thereafter in September, also with a 15 month programme.

A shame about the delay, but glad to see dates confirmed and it's actually going ahead.

What will each phase deliver?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

According to this politician on FB...
    CURRENT STATUS:
    Phase 1: Guild Street to Upper Sheriff Street (0.5 Km) – Completed in 2009.
    Phase 2: Upper Sheriff Street to North Strand (0.7km) – Completed July 2020
    Phase 3: North Strand to Phibsborough, (2.1km) – Detailed design phase. It is expected that construction will begin at the end of Quarter 4 in 2020 and it will take approximately two years to complete.
    Phase 4: Cross Guns Bridge, Phibsborough to Longford Bridge, Ashtown (4.3Km) - This project has 4 sub-phases.
    Phase 4A involves the introduction of a contra-flow bus and cycle lane over Broome Bridge in Cabra - It is currently in construction and it will be completed by October 2020.
    Phase 4B involves main towpath upgrade - It is anticipated that construction will commence in Quarter 4 of 2020, with likely completion in Quarter 4
    of 2021. Dredging of the canal will be required for some sections.
    Phase 4C involves remainder of towpath upgrade, including 7th Lock/Liffey Junction railway underpass upgrade
    AND
    Phase 4D (Tolka Valley Park –
    Phoenix Park greenway link via Ashtown) are currently in the design stage - A
    timeline for the completion of 4C and 4D sub-phases is not possible at present. However, it is hoped that all of Phase 4 of the Royal Canal Greenway will be completed by the end of 2023.
    His post is from last August and I think delivery times are now incorrect.

Yes, those are the most recent projected dates but, on the basis that every other stage of this process has taken way longer than planned, I wouldn't hold my breath.
    What will each phase deliver?

From the DCC website:

"Phase 3 of the Royal Canal Greenway runs from North Stand bridge to Phibsborough along the Royal Canal. It will include new cycle friendly ramps, widening of the existing paths, crossings across all roads and a new bridge over the Royal Canal between Drumcondra Road and Phibsborough." From memory, there will also be new lighting and CCTV..

Phase 4 is more of the same but the first section above Cross Guns bridge will be shared with cars as far as the cottages. Beyond that it's intended to have a 2.5m two-way cyclepath alongside a 2m footpath. Where this isn't possible, they intend acquiring additional land but worryingly, this is shown as a later phase!

Yes, those are the most recent projected dates but, on the basis that every other stage of this process has taken way longer than planned, I wouldn't hold my breath.

From the DCC website:

"Phase 3 of the Royal Canal Greenway runs from North Stand bridge to Phibsborough along the Royal Canal. It will include new cycle friendly ramps, widening of the existing paths, crossings across all roads and a new bridge over the Royal Canal between Drumcondra Road and Phibsborough." From memory, there will also be new lighting and CCTV..

Phase 4 is more of the same but the first section above Cross Guns bridge will be shared with cars as far as the cottages. Beyond that it's intended to have a 2.5m two-way cyclepath alongside a 2m footpath. Where this isn't possible, they intend acquiring additional land but worryingly, this is shown as a later phase!

I noticed in the planning documents for the huge apartment development in Ashtown they just indicate the current footpath and make no allowance for the future cycle path. Seems crazy to me that it wasn't implemented as a planning requirement.

Also, does anyone know where you can find the detailed drawings for both Phase 3 and 4? I remember seeing them ages ago but for the life of me can't locate them online anymore.

Also, does anyone know where you can find the detailed drawings for both Phase 3 and 4? I remember seeing them ages ago but for the life of me can't locate them online anymore.

I went looking last year and was surprised to find that they can't be found. The full details were online during the Part 8 process but, unlike normal planning applications, there seems to be no way to access them now. It is most odd that I can view Mr Brown's plans for his kitchen extension in Drimnagh but not DCC's plans for major public realm projects. I have written to DCC asking why this is so and will post here if and when I hear back from them.

It's a good question to put to DCC.

In the meantime, they were archived by the Internet. You can find links at the bottom of this page, they seem to load slowly, but they're there.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200204005245/http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8

buffalo wrote: »
    It's a good question to put to DCC.

In the meantime, they were archived by the Internet. You can find links at the bottom of this page, they seem to load slowly, but they're there.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200204005245/http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-planning-planning-news/royal-canal-greenway-part-8

Unfortunately I don't think that's current. For instance, one of the drawings shows the path going straight alongside Royal Canal Avenue and the Kayaking club isn't shown which would have a big impact on the route.

From memory, they seem to be the Part 8 drawings alright although that is an odd error.

Unfortunately I don't think that's current. For instance, one of the drawings shows the path going straight alongside Royal Canal Avenue and the Kayaking club isn't shown which would have a big impact on the route.

They don't even show the bridge for the Ratoath Road or the Luas depot. They were the original Part 8 drawings, I haven't seen anything more detailed or newer than that - I'd be interested to see if there's been any updates.

• Advertisement

Hopefully they have been updating them and the tender set are a bit more accurate. At Cross Guns Bridge, they differ quite a bit from the current Bus Connect proposals. Looks like there will be two new pesestrian/cyclist bridges over the canal along this stretch if both schemes go ahead.

It seems a bit crazy that there's no easy way to access information on an important piece of public infrastructure like this. The public may believe it's proceeding as per the old link posted previously, but could easily turn out quite different e.g. narrower footpaths/cyclepaths, reintroduction of kissing gates etc. By the time it commences construction it's too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I apologise if I'm wrong. But I always get the impression they go through the motions in these public consultations. If there's any dispute they just stop. Rarely do they make significant changes based on feedback. They generally just present the same plan again at a later date, hoping opinions have changed enough, or jaded enough to agree to it.

So I say let them make all the changes they want. See how it works. They'll cave to political pressure if it doesn't work.

That said I've really enjoyed cycling the canal. I don't do it that often though. Mostly because its lot slower and secluded in parts. One reason for the slowness that is all the awkward transitions/connections and gates..

You're probably right about them going through the motions with Part 8 consultations. Where they do work is the internal process within the Council where the plans have to be presented to the Area Committees and full Council. For better or worse, this has resulted in many schemes being dropped, postponed or modified beyond recognition. It's very difficult to actually track what happens to some of these schemes although Kevin Baker, chair of the Dublin Cycling Campaign, does his best on https://trello.com/b/dps7lepq/infrastructure-projects

Can someone point to the actual end state they are going for with the canal? Is it a full greenway the whole length of the canal? It appears they are completely ignoring everything between Castleknock and Leixlip?

Can someone point to the actual end state they are going for with the canal? Is it a full greenway the whole length of the canal? It appears they are completely ignoring everything between Castleknock and Leixlip?

Not ignoring - it's just particularly troublesome as there's no clear solution for a greenway of the desired width. It means either building a boardwalk on the train track side, or along the backs of people's gardens (and possibly through some people's extended gardens?) and trying to work through all the political and legal objections that will entail.

buffalo wrote: »
    Not ignoring - it's just particularly troublesome as there's no clear solution for a greenway of the desired width. It means either building a boardwalk on the train track side, or along the backs of people's gardens (and possibly through some people's extended gardens?) and trying to work through all the political and legal objections that will entail.

Why Fingal didn't split this project is beyond me. It was obvious from the start that the Deep Sinking was going to be technically and politically difficult whereas the section between Porterstown Road and the County Boundary near Leixlip was, and is, quite straightforward.

Even allowing for the difficulties, their lack of any kind of progress since the public consultation over 18 months ago has been abysmal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There is no way to travel through on a bike or wheelchair.

Not strictly true. You can still get through on a bike, you just need to be able bodied :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

what part of the RC is that ?

Advertisement