Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 wheelsandreels

fyi bus eireann is much improved in recent years. I cycled down to waterford one day recently and hopped on the hourly service number 4 - I booked it when I was in Carlow and had a better idea of my arrival time and the bike goes in luggage storage which hardly anyone uses - it's €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

I don't, I see 3 of them pumping in Abbeyshrule near the airfield. I was wondering if it's like that all over the place. Must cost a fortune. And they stink of fumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭cletus

It seems to be an issue in that area, seemingly down to a lack of monitoring of the opening of lock gates, from what I can gather.

It's not the normal way that canals are fed. They are normally fed from lakes, rivers, fend and similar through feeder canals, sluice gates etc.

At least, I've been up and down portions of the Royal, Grand, and Barrow Way, and I've never seen pumping of that sort happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

There's one near ribbontail that pumps up from the boyne & there's always a big water flow coming in near Mary Lynchs pub, could be off run from the N4 drainage 🤷🏻‍♂️

Further to the above post, there seems to be 4 spots where pumping is an issue (so more pumps than I previously thought)

Here's the relevant piece for Ireland from the above article

Back-pumping on Ireland’s canals

Waterways Ireland are looking at improved back-pumping systems at four locations. Richmond Harbour on the Royal Canal has an old pump delivering 225 l/s from the Cramlin River, and the 11.6 kW installation is only 75% efficient. The dedicated pump house will be re-engineered to host two pumps. The Grand Canal is supplied with water from the River Brosna into Shannon Harbour over locks 35-36. Here too, the pumps are old and affected by ongoing difficulties with weed, debris and blockages. An old 1994 pump delivers water from Lough Allen across Drumshanbo and Drumleague Locks to maintain water levels for navigation on the Lough Allen canal. The fourth pumping station is at locks 16-18 on the Grand Canal, where the pumps are relatively new but system controls need to be optimised; variable speed drives could improve efficiency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Update on the Deep Sinking

I did the Deep Sinking section yesterday to road test some new tyres I got. Contrary to what I posted before this is not suitable for a road bike. The rocks at the first section leaving Castleknock station are a nightmare. There's still a lot of water and mud even at this time of year. Despite having an e bike I had to dismount a lot.

Btw coming from the 12th Lock at Castleknock where the barges are tied up approaching the humpback bridge... for some insane reason a gate has been placed barring bicycles from going under the bridge to the train station? This necessitates carting your bike up a set of steps. You then arrive at a road which is really busy with cars going both ways. I got so exasperated waiting for a gap or a car to give me a nod to cross (walking with my bike) and none did...so I just barrelled across in a game of chicken style. Madness. The far end of the Deep Sinking comes out at some rail way crossing with tonnes of cars backed up as the gates were down for the train. Then into a dead end cul de sac where the trail effectively ends. I cant see the north side proposal ever happening. Pity because it would also kick Waterways Ireland in the arse re upgrading the canal section to encourage barge traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

I always do greenway starts from Maynooth unless someone tells me the path is fixed from dublin to Maynooth !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

? Can you not whip the wheel off and change the tube?

Also curious why an e bike on the Royal Canal - it's as flat as virtually possible for a cycle route.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe someone who wants to do the distance, but isn't physically capable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Thanks for the update.

Can I ask, is an e bike a slightly heavy thing and is that part of the issue or is this section just best avoided altogether? Thinking of going it (thr canal) a go tomorrow. Coming from Dublin City centre I don't really know whether to go along the canal from the start and include this section, or just cycle on the road and join the canal somewhere after this section

• Advertisement

For anyone either from the area, or having completed the Greenway; planning on heading out towards Cloodara in a few weeks. The plan is to camp for the night when we get there, then cycle back the next day. The question is, does anyone have a good spot for wild camping, as I don't know the area at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

It’s doable but not on a road bike in my opinion. You’d want some reasonably thick tyres. I did it in this sort of weather on 35mm slicks before, taking my time.

The bike I use is a conversion...so quite light. The section is just not suitable unless you have a mountain bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Everyones take on the deep sinking is different.. some people love the challenge, but its not everyones cup of tea. Its got tree roots, rocks, which you cannot avoid, it is uneven,etc. It is not what anyone would class as a greenway.

It is doable on a road bike, I've done it in the dry but wouldn't chance it in the wet. Its tough on wheels, you run large risk of punctures.

On a heavy touring bike with luggage or ebike I wouldn't fancy it at all. but, you can walk it.

On a mountain bike its great fun.

So, to answer my own question, I contacted the Richmond Inn, located in the harbour at Cloondara, in the hope that they might have camping spaces.

The very nice lady I spoke to told me that they don't provide camping, but there's a lovely green area on the far side of the harbour, people regularly camp there without issue, and it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭blackvalley

For all the misplaced fear about this short section one could be forgiven for thinking that folks were considering cycling along the edge of the Grand Canyon.😂.

To avoid this section if travelling west then simply hang a right in Castleknock after crossing the M50 , swing left down through Blanchardstown and Coolmine and re enter the canal at Clonsilla job done .

With so much access to GPS , sat nav etc it should be easy to navigate.🚴‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Few of those canal bridges have steep ramps up to/over them and the same for runs up to some lock gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Train to Mullingar this morning and decided to try the Old Rail Trail towards Athlone. Got as far as Castletown (12k) and couldn't stand the boredom so headed back to Mullingar and the delights of the Royal Canal Greenway. Once clear of the town I decided to up the pace a bit and averaged a bit over 28km/h as far as Maynooth. There wasn't a whole lot of speed difference on the tarmac or gravel as this has been well compacted by now. Had coffee, cake and a Zoom meeting at Cunningham's Pub near Riverstown Bridge but there were queues at both Timeless and the Rye River Cafe in Kilcock so I kept going as far as the reliable Coffee Mill in Maynooth for a late lunch.

With the deteriorating surface I had to take it a bit easier and came close to stopping on the first (western) section of the Deep Sinking. I was glad I had pumped up the 28mm tyres as, otherwise, the tree roots and rocks would have guaranteed a pinch flat. I skipped the next section by detouring through Delwood and Roselawn before rejoining the canal for the final section to Cross Guns.

112k in 4 hrs 10min (moving) with all of 170m climbing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

That's the downfall of some greenways alright. The new Rathkeale to Listowel one is also very tedious with much of it through dairy country with flat lush grassy fields for mile after mile.

About 10 years ago I did the Withacoochee State Trail in Florida ( https://www.floridastateparks.org/parks-and-trails/withlacoochee-state-trail ) . Probably the most boring day on the bike ever. 75km up and another 75km back of absolutely nothing but forrest on each side and I only encountered 2 other people in the 150km round trip. Give me a busy main road any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

I certainly wouldn't rate the Old Rail Trail as worse than a busy main road. It's smooth, flat and quiet with birds singing and wild flowers on the verges. It's just so monotonous and the thought of more of the same all the way to Athlone and then back to Mullingar was too much.

In contrast, the Royal Canal Greenway has much more variety in wildlife, scenery, buildings and even path surface. While there are some straight and relatively tedious sections, it's not long before you come across a bridge, lock or village. The only bit of variety I could do without are the staggered gates where you almost have to come to a complete stop to get past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Ye can walk the Deep Sinking with the bike in 20 mins as opposed to 7 mins cycling. The rough, slippy bit is 1.75km. I've done this a lot of times on 700Cx25's and it works fine.

Far more enjoyable than cycling the hellholes around there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah i found the mullingar/athlone greenway boring but some tunes into the ears makes all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Afternoon Folks,

Anybody been on the stretch of the canal from Leixlip Confey to Maynooth recently?

Im cycling Dublin - Athlone at the weekend, usually jump on the canal route in Maynooth, was thinking of hopping on a bit earlier in Leixlip, has been at least 3 years since I was last on the canal.

Just wondering what state that stretch of the route is like at the moment.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is the same as it was three years ago!

I did the mini strectch (the city direction) entering near the Intel plant and then down to the Confey bridge. Really nice stretch. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭FinnC

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

From Louisa Bridge (beside Intel) to Confey is poor but cycle-able in pretty much all weather.

The main difficult part between Leixlip and Maynooth is between Louisa Bridge and Pike Bridge (the stretch kind of in front of Intel). If on a road bike, I would probably use the road for that bit.

• Advertisement

Advertisement