Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

If you're referring to the quote "When complete phase three will link Spencer Dock in Dublin 1 with Maynooth in Co Kildare", then you're correct in thinking it's wrong. The outer Dublin section including deep sinking is yet to be done, as well as nearly all of Dublin boundary to Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Yes, I'd pictured a much rougher section and a bigger drop into the canal!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€30m for 2km is not madly far off what it costs per km for a motorway - i'd be curious how accurate the figure is, and what the breakdown is.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

In terms of the Dublin boundary to Maynooth, the section from Cope Bridge (Confey) to Louisa Br is well underway with the foundation layer looking like it is completed or near completion. Once done, the will presumably do from Louisa Br to Deey Br or Pike Br.

They aren't doing from Cope Bridge to the county line in this pahse from what I can see.

From the train window, that layer is only about two-thirds of the way along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Supposedly the Crossguns down to Ballybough section upgrade is to start imminently...with a ...(wait for it) ...two year timeframe. It will be interesting to see if Waterways Ireland actually fix the various locks which are in very poor order. Cue budget complaints etc. I've yet to see how Newcomen bridge will be handled as its a death trap atm.

The section from Crossguns to Castleknock is in relatively good shape but the crossing at Ashtown lock (where u must switch sides) is really dangerous because of traffic. Its an old humpback bridge adjacent to a rail crossing with a train station to boot. Not sure of a solution but will get worse as there's so much development happening on the east side of the rail line. I wonder if there was a landgrab by some old Anglo estate back in the day which preludes a northern path on this section of the canal? Hence the need for the switchover. If so Waterways Ireland should reclaim their land.

The Deep Sinking Section which begins at Castleknock railway station heading west by north is snarled up with objections. Plus the involvement of Irish Rail because of the proximity of the line adds to complications. This is the reason for the proposed northern cycle ramp. The existing southern towpath right beside the rail line simply won't fly....far too narrow and steep ...and naturally IR have the final say. Don't hold your breath .....even though, in a way , this is the most important section since it will allow cyclists from a huge catchment area of north west Dublin/ Kildare to commute all the way to the Docklands....if its ever completed. Some of the submissions are attached below so u can see what Fingal CC are up against. My favourite is the Japanese knotweed.

Of the three authorities involved (DCC, Fingal, Kildare) Fingal seem to be the most active. I hear Kildare finally got their act together but haven't been on that section over the winter. Ideally when its done u can hop on the canal near Intel and fly all the way to Docklands. i'd love to see all the locks upgraded as part of this so that barge tourist traffic could resume from Docklands all the way to the Shannon...but dream on.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/node/19709/submissions

the crossing at Ashtown lock (where u must switch sides) is really dangerous because of traffic. Its an old humpback bridge adjacent to a rail crossing with a train station to boot. Not sure of a solution but will get worse as there's so much development happening on the east side of the rail line.

There's a separate bridge for pedestrians and cyclists, with a signalised crossing on the road. I'm not sure what more you could ask for? The electrification of the line will see the level crossing closed anyhow, so there'll be no more traffic then.

"The electrification of the line will see the level crossing closed anyhow, so there'll be no more traffic then."

Will the level crossing be closed to traffic permanently?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it not the intended increased frequency of rail services which is threatening the level crossings, rather than the electrification itself?

To my knowledge, the increased frequency of services is what is going to close the road at Blakestown (Deey Bridge) near me. Barry Kenny also confirms that it is frequency in this article...

• Advertisement

Just saw this tweet a moment ago which shows how far the canal has come in 45 years (although it really should not have been neglected back then)...

Yes. See Dart+ drawings for Ashtown - there'll be a new underpass west of the stables coming out next to the Supervalu carpark access. https://www.dartplus.ie/en-ie/news/2022/revised-ashtown-preferred-option

It's all Dart+ to me. ¯\_ (ツ)_/¯

you don't know much about dart, but you know what you like?

Yeah it looks great. Crossguns and Castleknock also look great with the upgrade. Roll on....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

It's already archaic, with a crossing keeper there closing the gates manually.

Yeah I went there to see again today and the rail gates were shut upon arrival to allow the trains thru. Sure enough some bloke came down to unlock the gates and open the route to cars, bikes and pedestrian traffic. Archaic is right...but hey the "plans" look good. Here's hoping. A huge artic coming from the Scribbelstown road end forced me onto the footpath in a hurry (I heard the diesel engine roar and looked back) where I nearly pushed into an aulfella with a crutch on the narrow footpath. He copped on that the artic left me no choice and was cool about it all. Just another day cycling Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭2011abc

I think novices to this thread might be well reminded that the section around the ‘Deep Sinking’ nearer the city could very easily entail not just plunging into the canal but doing so from a considerable height .Once you get past Clonsilla outbound it’s just ‘soggy’ as far as Confey but before that it’s combined with tree roots , narrow tracks and unnaturally scarey heights above the water !Confey to Louisa Bridge is still under repair and Intel to Carton/Maynooth is slippy at all bar the best of times .The rebel in me reckons you could probably get from Confey to Louisa right now ‘out of workhours’ and maybe even during them if prepared to ‘engage’ with the council workers ….Barriers at either end don’t look very restrictive and coarse grey hardcore surface prob no worse than muddy slime normally there this time of year

I personally think you are making it out to be worse than it is. You need to take care on it, but it's not really that dangerous. You just need to take it slowly and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Agreed. And it’s great craic with the right tyres! I’ll miss it when it’s gone, although I get the advantages the upgrade will bring for those of a more sedate disposition 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

the proposed route looks to be still on the north bank, so the deep sinking wouldn't be gone but wouldn't be part of the route. thats my reading of it anyway

The proposed route is on the north bank, but they haven't really had the fight yet about it, with the delwood residents association.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Is Maynooth to Mullingar road bike friendly on this Greenway? Thinking of doing it in the next few days, as off, but not sure whether to bring the road bike or the mtb.

It is fine on a road bike. I did Leixlip - Maynooth - Mullingar - Maynooth - Leixlip back in 2020 and managed something like 27 or 28km/h on a sunny Sunday morning (I think it was about 130km altogether (so about 115 from Maynooth and back)).

It's a mix of tarmac and compact grit but fine. Just pay heed to any signposts when you get to a bridge as you have to change sides every so often. Other than that, enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Thanks for that. Road bike it is!

Looks like this is done the whole length (of that section) now.

Yeah, I just saw the photos in the Greenways thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

For some reason the old news that Leo Varadkar objected to Fingal's plans to run the Greenway along the north bank of the Deep Sinking has been published again in the Irish Mirror and elsewhere. Maybe the fact that his mother and sister also objected is new. The one interesting bit is the following:

"A spokesman for Fingal County Council told the Mirror that the route will go ahead on the north side of the canal bank despite the objections of the senior government politicians.

He said: “‘Fingal County Council is currently preparing a planning application to An Bord Pleanála which involves the preparation of an Environmental Impact Assessment Report and other associated documentation.

“Consultation with stakeholders including Waterways Ireland and Irish Rail and discussions on land acquisition with relevant third-party landowners is also ongoing.

“It is expected that a planning application to An Bord Pleanála will be submitted in 2023, subject to progression of the necessary planning documentation as well as the required public spending code approvals."

So let's all hold our breaths until (late?) 2023 when the planning application may be submitted. Then, as magicbastarder predicts, the real fight will begin!

Had planned to get the train to Enfield, and cycle back to Dublin on Saturday. Operational difficulties meant we had to get a bike repaired before we got to the train, so we ended up just going as far as Maynooth and cycling back from there.

Section along Leixlip closed off but doesn't look too far away from finishing.

Deep sinking was grand for me, but mate took it handier with 25mm tyres on road bike.

Pint and chips in the Bernard Shaw when we got to Phibsborough.

• Advertisement

I passed over Packenham Br., near Westmanstown, this evening and noticed they have done a lot of clearing of the shrubs along the tow path but also laid down a thick layer of large stones. Not sure if this is a final layer or a foundation for a temporary path or what. Whilst I didn't spend long looking at it, it definitely didn't look like something I'd take a road bike along.

Advertisement