Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal on a Road Bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

As mention in post #167 above, it's doable but not particularly pleasant. I think the "ripple" sections are caused by tractor wheels when the grass is cut in wet weather. If you try to build up speed, you just get shaken to bits even on 28mm tyres. I have also had to stop and clear grass from the rear derailleur on occasions.

Did a few km of it on 28c road tyres earlier. Some sections better than others. It is better than the N4 I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Not to be a d*ck, but we didn't have this issue with it. I've cycled both canals now in their entirety and the only issue was with works blocking the side we needed so we basically just got around the fence and kept going. Thought signage was super helpful.

I didn't read it as you being a d1ck tbf - the sign I followed had (in hindsight) clearly been turned and it made no sense that signs would be pointing down both sides of the canal. I ain't blaming anyone other than myself for the error of my ways!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Did Royal Canal / Grand Canal cycle today. Hybrid bike with 28mm Marathon Plus tyres. Home to Samuel Beckett bridge, Royal Canal to Kilcock (Deep Sinking very slow as first time there). Kilcock to Sallins on R407, 20km with good surface and felt safe in traffic. Sallins to Grand Canal basin, lots of grass from Sallins, rough going at times, needed to "get around" some construction fences, and scramble up embankment to change over to paved side around Griffeen Park. 104 km total, 6 hours cycling, nearly 8 hours out. Cracking day for October. When section around factory near Lucan finished, it'll be an even better journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Walking the dog this morning when I realised that the conditions were perfect (SE wind; sunshine; warm and Autumn colours) for a spin to Mullingar. Got going from Cross Guns at 1.15 and made good progress as far as the Deep Sinking. I don't know if the tree roots have grown or the earth has been eroded but it felt bumpier than before and I had to keep unclipping one foot just in case.
    The next sections including the grassy stretches were grand but I decided to to avoid the Ferran's Lock to Cloncurry "meadow" and detoured onto the old N4 for a few km. It was busy enough but at least had a decent hard shoulder and surface. On through Enfield and thinking about a pint at Fureys when I literally ran into the upgrading works under a bridge a bit after the Blackwater aquaduct. I struggled on until I met up with one of the workmen who agreed to let me through as long as I walked the bike. We chatted for a bit and he told me there is to be a new ramp up to the old bridge at Fureys. More interestingly, he expects to be moving on to the Ferran's/Cloncurry section once they are finished at Fureys.
    I was about to order my pint when I decided to check on train times back from Mullingar. 16.54 or 20.10. The pint was put on hold as it was going to be tight enough getting there in time for the earlier train. The thought of hanging around until 8 in Summer cycling gear or cycling back into the wind was a good incentive to push on and I ended up with a KoM on Strava as a result and made the train with time to spare.
    A great afternoon's cycle. Photos and video of route at https://www.relive.cc/view/1896310057

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Great stuff, well done . Hope to do similar soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

Walking the dog this morning when I realised that the conditions were perfect (SE wind; sunshine; warm and Autumn colours) for a spin to Mullingar. Got going from Cross Guns at 1.15 and made good progress as far as the Deep Sinking. I don't know if the tree roots have grown or the earth has been eroded but it felt bumpier than before and I had to keep unclipping one foot just in case.
    The next sections including the grassy stretches were grand but I decided to to avoid the Ferran's Lock to Cloncurry "meadow" and detoured onto the old N4 for a few km. It was busy enough but at least had a decent hard shoulder and surface. On through Enfield and thinking about a pint at Fureys when I literally ran into the upgrading works under a bridge a bit after the Blackwater aquaduct. I struggled on until I met up with one of the workmen who agreed to let me through as long as I walked the bike. We chatted for a bit and he told me there is to be a new ramp up to the old bridge at Fureys. More interestingly, he expects to be moving on to the Ferran's/Cloncurry section once they are finished at Fureys.
    I was about to order my pint when I decided to check on train times back from Mullingar. 16.54 or 20.10. The pint was put on hold as it was going to be tight enough getting there in time for the earlier train. The thought of hanging around until 8 in Summer cycling gear or cycling back into the wind was a good incentive to push on and I ended up with a KoM on Strava as a result and made the train with time to spare.
    A great afternoon's cycle. Photos and video of route at https://www.relive.cc/view/1896310057

Seems to be good progress at Moyvalley
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/royalcanalgreenway/posts/?ref=page_internal

blueballfc wrote: »

Yes, I saw that. No mention of the new ramp that I was told about but it isn't really necessary as there is already a ramp to the old bridge coming from the other direction. Hopefully the weather will hold and they will be able to finish this section before the end of the year and then move on to the Ferran's/Cloncurry stretch.

Looking at taking the train to Mullingar to complete my trip to Cloondara (59k) and then cycling back to Longford (+16k) for the return train to Drumcondra. Making good use of the free-travel (and the bike) these days:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Spotted this earlier just beyond Ferran's... maybe the start of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Yes, I saw that. No mention of the new ramp that I was told about but it isn't really necessary as there is already a ramp to the old bridge coming from the other direction. Hopefully the weather will hold and they will be able to finish this section before the end of the year and then move on to the Ferran's/Cloncurry stretch.

Looking at taking the train to Mullingar to complete my trip to Cloondara (59k) and then cycling back to Longford (+16k) for the return train to Drumcondra. Making good use of the free-travel (and the bike) these days:)

If you're interested in a bit of company, I can join you for the Ballymahon - Clondra - Longford part of your journey. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Did it yesterday again from Phoenix Park through Deep Sinking to Maynooth on my gravel bike. Very pleasant spin but I can't figure out for the life of me how anyone has done the same on a road bike with less than, I don't know, 38 mm tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭blueballfc

It seems from Roderick O’ gormans twitter page that planning for 12th lock to Kildare border now not till 2020 https://mobile.twitter.com/rodericogorman/status/1058031472429416450/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭KevRossi

LennoxR wrote: »
    Did it yesterday again from Phoenix Park through Deep Sinking to Maynooth on my gravel bike. Very pleasant spin but I can't figure out for the life of me how anyone has done the same on a road bike with less than, I don't know, 38 mm tyres?

I've done it a couple of times on 700x25s. Need to walk some of it as the roots are so rough and I was afraid of falling into the canal. I think the worst of it is 1.25 km long, so not too bad.

Ironic how the most heavily populated stretch of it is the last to be done.

Gorteen wrote: »
    If you're interested in a bit of company, I can join you for the Ballymahon - Clondra - Longford part of your journey. :)

Thanks Gorteen. Will PM you to exchange contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Did same route as you last week on a hybrid with 37s. My thinking would be same as you, can't see how this would be any fun on a road bike with standard tyres. Not sure about 32s though as have never ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

As an aside what gravel bike with what tyres were you on as I'm in the market for something that would be spending most of its time on tow paths and fire roads

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've done it on a single speed road bike with 23mm tyres. No particular problems - just had to keep one foot unclipped going across the Deep Sinking section. It was a dry day though - perhaps it would be a lot different in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

I've done it on a single speed road bike with 23mm tyres. No particular problems - just had to keep one foot unclipped going across the Deep Sinking section. It was a dry day though - perhaps it would be a lot different in the wet.

Fair play to you but I just can't imagine it. The Deep sinking is obviously the worst but even after that you've got, what? 15-20 km of some quite rough grass and mud track. Fine for the gravel bike on up but on 23s? Not for me anyway.

a148pro wrote: »
    As an aside what gravel bike with what tyres were you on as I'm in the market for something that would be spending most of its time on tow paths and fire roads

I ride a cannondale slate with rigid fork that I picked up second hand in 2017. I've got 42 mm semi slick mtb tyre on the front and 38 mm gravel panaracer tyre on the back. Works quite well for me both on and off road.

My friends ride their cross bikes with me on knobblier tyres but personally my goal is to have a bike that rolls well both on and off road, because then you can explore further.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 goverfe

Passed by Furey's yesterday (Sun 19th Nov). No further progress on the rough stone surface and no work seems to have been done yet on the ramp leading back to the canal bridge (for switching over to the already-completed section on the northern side). There were some temporary barriers on the site, under the bridge, but no machinery left there. Hopefully they will complete this work soon.

I've cycled Longford to Mullingar several times. Nice cycle along the canal spur from Longford to the main line. Further along, the Corrlea Trackway (Iron Age bog roadway) is directly accessible from the Canal and is well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Is the Deep Sinking due to become a two way cycle track like other parts of the Royal Canal greenway?

• Advertisement

Qrt wrote: »
    Is the Deep Sinking due to become a two way cycle track like other parts of the Royal Canal greenway?

Fingal Co Co appointed consultants last May for the planning and detail design of the section from Castleknock to the Kildare border near Leixlip. No word yet on what their design for the Deep Sinking will be but their brief is that it should comply with the Greenway standards set out in the National Cycle Manual. The latest word is that it will be 2020 before they even get to the planning permission stage so it doesn't seem to be a high priority for Fingal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Fingal Co Co appointed consultants last May for the planning and detail design of the section from Castleknock to the Kildare border near Leixlip. No word yet on what their design for the Deep Sinking will be but their brief is that it should comply with the Greenway standards set out in the National Cycle Manual. The latest word is that it will be 2020 before they even get to the planning permission stage so it doesn't seem to be a high priority for Fingal.

Oh right, fantastic. I assumed it was under DCC jurisdiction. I think the sections by Broombridge and Croke Park are due to be two way cycle tracks. Anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Qrt wrote: »
    Oh right, fantastic. I assumed it was under DCC jurisdiction. I think the sections by Broombridge and Croke Park are due to be two way cycle tracks. Anybody know?

Theres a 4m wide hard surface from the red parrot to Charleville Mall beside North strand road already, apart from under the bridges, and a boreen width road from the railway overbridge down to Cross Gunns Bridge

Theres a van at the overbridge
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3709308,-6.2895348,43m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Crossings of Dorset st and Phibsboro road needed, and a wider path between needed also.

The long-awaited Phase 2 of the Dublin section of the Greenway from Sheriff Street to the North Strand is finally due to start after Christmas. No word on Phase 3 to Phibsborough which was to start in 2017 and 2018 or Phase 4 to Ashtown.

http://irishcycle.com/2018/11/29/dublin-section-of-royal-canal-greenway-work-to-start-after-christmas/?fbclid=IwAR3Zf3ZVAIt__gDqsXG3Jt0TBykITB_gDJI5k2BVK3qlh6KQhlHNwGJQSE4

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The long-awaited Phase 2 of the Dublin section of the Greenway from Sheriff Street to the North Strand is finally due to start after Christmas. No word on Phase 3 to Phibsborough which was to start in 2017 and 2018 or Phase 4 to Ashtown.

http://irishcycle.com/2018/11/29/dublin-section-of-royal-canal-greenway-work-to-start-after-christmas/?fbclid=IwAR3Zf3ZVAIt__gDqsXG3Jt0TBykITB_gDJI5k2BVK3qlh6KQhlHNwGJQSE4

This should have been the first phase I'd have thought. Leo Varadkar was the minister responsible when the first phase was done. The first phase was done right on the doorstep of his constituency.

Weepsie wrote: »
    This should have been the first phase I'd have thought. Leo Varadkar was the minister responsible when the first phase was done. The first phase was done right on the doorstep of his constituency.

The short section from the Liffey to Sheriff Street beside the Convention Centre is what Dublin City Council refer to as Phase 1. Using the same logic, Ashtown to Castleknock would be Fingal's first phase. As things stand, it looks like their second phase could be the last section of the entire Liffey to Shannon route to be completed despite being in the Taoiseach's constituency!

Great news on the Royal Canal Greenway FB page. Work has commenced on the last remaining grass section west of Maynooth between Ferran's Lock and Cloncurry Bridge https://www.facebook.com/1549278628668036/posts/2143923109203582/

Intended cycling Maynooth-Clondra-Longford today but ended up having to skip the last 16km to Clondra and back and go directly to Longford to catch the 16.15 train back to Dublin. A combination of a headwind, a delicious but time consuming bowl of soup at the Rustic Inn in Abbeyshrule and some very poor signage in Co Longford left me with 24km to cover in about 50min! Turning right up the Longford Branch instead of continuing to Clondra was the prudent option.

Other than the issue of the missing signs, it was a great cycle in beautiful winter sunshine. The full Dublin to Clondra spin goes on the to-do list for next summer.
    Video and photo at https://www.relive.cc/view/1998123779

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Great stuff, some real nice pics there.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Made an unplanned excursion along the canal yesterday, went all the way along from Kilcock to the Royal Canal Amenity Group just outside Leixlip. Difficult going in a few very muddy sections on 25s but really fun all the same.

Definitely going to go again when it dries up a bit, I'd love to go all the way.

• Advertisement

So, according to a press release from Minister Ross tonight, construction will start next year on phases 2, 3 and 4 of the Dublin part of the Royal Canal Greenway together with a section in Kildare (presumably Ferrans Lock to Cloncurry). IF, and it's a big if, this happens, Castleknock to Maynooth will be the last remaining sections still to start.
    We'll see.
    http://irishcycle.com/2018/12/19/minister-ross-asks-nta-to-set-up-cycling-office-after-dail-inaction-criticism/

Advertisement