Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am i being discriminated againest by my Landlord ?

Options
  • 01-06-2017 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there, thanks for any info in advance,

I've a question... i'm a tenant & have rented 3 different flats from the same Landlord.. I'm unemployed at present. My Landlord has increased the rent twice & moved me twice , i was then moved without a written notice to a flat that I now live in....its 6ft x 14 ft....its in a basement it's dark damp & its causing me serious depression.. I have lived in this flat for over 18 months...so I now have part 4 tenancy....

I have letters from my Gp a social worker & a councillor to prove the flat is causing me depression...I have asked my Landlord for move several times but he wont give me one & he wont give me a lease ...but he has relocated other tenants who are employed....my question is do I have grounds to bring a case against my Landlord for discrimination ?

Thanks again ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

A lot of strange things going on in that post. How did your landlord "move you" without consent? Why do you think the landlord would move you when you ask him too? Surely if you want to move, you just give notice and move out.

Does the landlord live in the building and are you renting a 14x6 room?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Sounds like your lucky to have a roof over your head!!!

Get your self sorted and plan a way to improve your situation. Trying to criminalise the one person who has stopped you from being homeless seems bizzare. Yes it's an awful place but at least you have one.

If the move was to ensure affordability was maintained due to lack of income then you really have a guardian angel there. They could of tossed you out. Does that sound like a better situation?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hi Goodvibes,

I am really sorry to hear about your situation. Could you explain a little more about your situation?

Do you live in a flat, or a house share? I'm not good with measurements but 6ft by 14ft seems small.

Have a look at this the minimum standards for accommodation,

http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad%2C33422%2Cen.pdf

If you don't want to give to many details on the forum feel free to message me and I'll try find information for your situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

It's not that easy to move. It cost me a fortune to move out of my last property. Also, you need to factor in overlap of last/first month.
    davo10 wrote: »
    A lot of strange things going on in that post. How did your landlord "move you" without consent? Why do you think the landlord would move you when you ask him too? Surely if you want to move, you just give notice and move out.

Does the landlord live in the building and are you renting a 14x6 room?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,958 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Are you on the council housing list? How long have you been on it for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 goodvibes

Thanks very much Gizmo81 il send you a message tomorrow....thanks again....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

goodvibes wrote: »
    I have letters from my Gp a social worker & a councillor to prove the flat is causing me depression

Why on earth are you still there?
    If its causing you mental health issues, why the hell have you not just left?

If you have part 4, you have it with for the place you're living in, not the landlord.

He doesn't have to move you anywhere, but he should bring the place up to spec.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- at risk of stating the obvious- why haven't you moved of your volition?
    Getting letters from your GP etc- whats this about?
    The landlord is obliged to let accommodation that meets minimum standards- whether or not your current accommodation meets this standards is moot- he/she is not obliged to supply you with alternate accommodation- if it is not up to standards- they are not allowed let it as residential accommodation- however, they are not under any obligation to find you alternate accommodation.......?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

Im very sorry for your depression, however, you seem to be blaming this situation on the handlord and im not sure why? I cant think of any situation where it is a landlords 'duty' to relocate any tenants. Yes, he has a duty to have a place up to standards, but it sounds like he has helped you out and now you want to bring a case against him??

OP, without sounding harsh, you need to step up and sort the situation yourself instead of trying to blame your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have letters from my Gp a social worker & a councillor to prove the flat is causing me depression...I have asked my Landlord for move several times but he wont give me one & he wont give me a lease ...but he has relocated other tenants who are employed....my question is do I have grounds to bring a case against my Landlord for discrimination ?

Thanks again ....
    Unsure how the councillor has the ability to sign off on your mental health,. Regarding the employed tenants moving; how much more are they now paying to rent?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

He's not forcing you to stay, so I don't see how you are being discriminated against.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

For those of you suggesting the OP move, it really is not that simple if you are of limited means and dependent on Rent Supplements.
    I have suffered with crippling depression in the past, and it's hard to make a cup of tea in that state, never mind go viewing potential new accom with your 'best foot forward'.
    And the OP is not 'lucky to have a roof over their head'- where did this idea that housing is a luxury good come from? Surely all people deserve a roof over their heads?

P.S.-I live in town that has a family that control a large % of the rental stock- they often move people about between houses/ apts/ flats. A friend lives in a 1 bed flat with a living room & separate kitchen. The LL suggested to him that his brother move in and make the living room into another bedroom. This type of stuff does go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Hi there, thanks for any info in advance,

I've a question... i'm a tenant & have rented 3 different flats from the same Landlord.. I'm unemployed at present. My Landlord has increased the rent twice & moved me twice , i was then moved without a written notice to a flat that I now live in....its 6ft x 14 ft....its in a basement it's dark damp & its causing me serious depression.. I have lived in this flat for over 18 months...so I now have part 4 tenancy....

Thanks again ....
    As I understand it OP, your LL downgraded you with each move? and you are using info such a letter about your depression to show him that you cant stay in the basement? firstly, why did your LL relocate you? and do you have any proof that the employed ppl that are in the other flats are paying the same as you?
    I can see why you feel you may be discriminated against(I cant say as Im not that familiar with property laws here), your next stop should be threshold or citizens advice, both free and both have chapter and verse to clear up any questions.
    I feel for you, had a family in a similar situation up to lately.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

& moved me twice , i was then moved without a written notice to a flat that I now live in

How does this even happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭Bredabe

TresGats wrote: »
    For those of you suggesting the OP move, it really is not that simple if you are of limited means and dependent on Rent Supplements.
    I have suffered with crippling depression in the past, and it's hard to make a cup of tea in that state, never mind go viewing potential new accom with your 'best foot forward'.
    And the OP is not 'lucky to have a roof over their head'- where did this idea that housing is a luxury good come from? Surely all people deserve a roof over their heads?

P.S.-I live in town that has a family that control a large % of the rental stock- they often move people about between houses/ apts/ flats. A friend lives in a 1 bed flat with a living room & separate kitchen. The LL suggested to him that his brother move in and make the living room into another bedroom. This type of stuff does go on.
    I get a lot of that talk when I vent about my situation in the west, ppl who almost to a person(in my experience) who have settled housing situations say this, I know its cause homelessness is so much on their mind. But that doesn't mean that ppl who are not presenting as homeless have a happy home situation nor should they be forced to put up with abusive sitations just to have that.
    I never heard that idea that housing was a luxury before FG came to power. saddens me ppl cant empathise with ppl like OP, but for the grace of god and all that.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Could you give us some more details OP. If it's 6ft X 14ft is it just a room you're renting and not a flat?

If it's a flat then it couldn't possibly reach rental standards so you have grounds to complain to the RTB.

Bear in mind though that they will only insist that your LL bring the accommodation up to a standard condition. They will not insist that he provides you with another accommodation.

Advertisement