Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick pay

Options
  • 01-06-2017 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I work in retail and have been in my job for the past 12 years,
    I called in sick with my manager on Saturday (genuinely sick and first time I've done it in well over a year) she sorted cover and was grand about it,aspart of my contract I'm entitled to 10days sick pay per year.

Fast forward to today and my area manager calls me looking to know if it was me or my kids that were sick,from now on I'd need a sick cert for one day sick.,and she had accidentally paid me 2 1/2 hours extra pay that she would be deducting from next weeks wages.
    She also told me the company had stopped paying sick pay as part cutbacks 5 years ago and our store was the only ones still getting it (we had a pay cut but none of us ever heard about it this)
    So now we won't be getting sick pay from now on either.
    Anyone know where I stand on this? Is it tough luck or do they have to stick with the contract??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Hi there

I work in retail and have been in my job for the past 12 years,
    I called in sick with my manager on Saturday (genuinely sick and first time I've done it in well over a year) she sorted cover and was grand about it,aspart of my contract I'm entitled to 10days sick pay per year.

Fast forward to today and my area manager calls me looking to know if it was me or my kids that were sick,from now on I'd need a sick cert for one day sick.,and she had accidentally paid me 2 1/2 hours extra pay that she would be deducting from next weeks wages.
    She also told me the company had stopped paying sick pay as part cutbacks 5 years ago and our store was the only ones still getting it (we had a pay cut but none of us ever heard about it this)
    So now we won't be getting sick pay from now on either.
    Anyone know where I stand on this? Is it tough luck or do they have to stick with the contract??

Speak to a professional but In my opinion I don't think a company can't change there policies and affect the terms of a contract without notice and updated contracts signed ..

However .. seek professional advice and. Not common people who will mislead you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

I thought as much,in my contract it says we only need a cert after 3 days out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Lashes28 wrote: »
    I thought as much,in my contract it says we only need a cert after 3 days out too.

Mine states the same (but the number of days is company policy not legal, I do know that)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

Sick Pay Schemes usually have a discretionary clause and can be revoked or withdrawn by the company - however, normal practice is that recipients relying on it (as per their contract) are officially informed of any changes asap. Certainly not after the fact as in your case. Given that you are with the company 12 years and have rarely used the scheme, this may not be a huge issue for you.

Someone who had for example, broken their leg and was relying on this company sick pay may have a different view but if it's a discretionary scheme the company can fairly easily defend their decision to withdraw it - so probably not worth the fight.

I would definitely have the row about the new certification policy though. At the very least I would ask for a copy of the new sick leave policy in writing especially if you now have to provide certs even for a single day which is not normal practice. Plus it might be worth asking if the company are offering to pay for the necessary GP visit to obtain the required cert perhaps via their company doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

AFAIK the workplace relations service has an information line for employees about employment rights & legislation - it might be worth a call to get some advice from them.

customer service number is 1890-80-80-90

best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd be surprised if they can unilaterally change your contract if it states there is paid sick leave..

The company is within their rights to request every day to be certified if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

What's annoying me most is that only two regular staff within the company has sick pay included in their contract (it was taken out of contracts for new staff 5/6 years ago) and she hasn't said it to her. All managers that have old contracts are getting it.
    It just seems just to be me that has been singled out.

Advertisement