Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpenterstown Opinions

Options
  • 01-06-2017 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi!

I monitor boards but have decided to take the plunge and post my first post!

I am looking for some advice on Carpenterstown as we are actively looking to buy in the area particularly around the area of Warren Avenue. Is the area generally safe, is the neighbourhood friendly etc, what is the Carpenter pub like. What are the general positives and negatives of the area or what people like and dislike?

All opinions welcome

Thanks
    LaChouffe

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've been in Riverwood since 2002.
    I like it proximity to the train line and Blanchardstown Centre.
    There are a number of primary and secondary schools nearby.
    Lots of green space within many of the estates and the large Porterstown Park is nearby (with a weekly parkrun) and the Phoenix Park is ~4km away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Quiet, young population, ok rail links. Standing room only on the trains, but its short journey. Traffic bad at peak. Pub fine. I'd test your commute route if using a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lachouffe1

thanks daymobrew! How do you find the area in general, is it safe at night time or any particular negatives you don't like?

thanks Beauf! All sounds good thanks for your comments! Is it generally safe at nighttime or any reports of burglaries or anti social behaviour?

The older the estate the less children, teenagers you'll get in it. There is an explosion in kids all over D.15.

LL is very quiet in general. if you mean that specific estate. In D.15 one estate can be can different from the next one.

Burglaries is a problem over the entire country. I don't know but I'd would think LL is pretty average in that regard. Can't escape that anywhere in Dublin, from the poorest areas to the most exclusive. Its a problem all over.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/dublin-burglary-epidemic-surges-ahead-of-rest-of-republic-1.2843348
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/dublin-suburbs-top-burglary-list-1.731716

• Advertisement

Thanks again! I appreciate the comments! From living there what is your general feeling about the area, do you enjoy living there?

House prices are inflated a lot out there, don't you think the area will get better or that's the max potential of the area?

I don't actually live there. But I'm very familiar with it.

The max potential is really what people can afford, based on wages. There is a mix of 3 bed terrace to 5 bed detached. If they ever improve the train line, as in run a dart like service it might increase. Can't see that for a very long time. As is, I would say its must be close to peak. Its on the very edge of affordable. Much more and you'd probably be wiser moving out into the country (more bang for much), or you'd be competing with the similar market value places within reach of the Dart line. So I can't see it going much higher, unless there's an influx of outside investment across Dublin like the Chinese did in London. Then again its hard to predict Govt policy.

D.15 is not quite at the high peak of the boom. But then there isn't the same easy credit, loans as there was back then.

Thanks everyone for your comments. If anyone else has some opinions good or bad then it would be nice to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭angryIreGamer

im in carpenterstown for a few years now.

Commute to the city center (Docklands station) for work on train from coolmine. Often packed but so far not too packed. Train to Connolly is often too busy and I have seen people faint on it.

Nothing really in carpenterstown outside of the shops and pub at CCC. Bus to Castleknock/Blanch center is ~ every 30 mins.

Tennis courts in Sycamore and Riverwood (as well as playground and basketball courts). Local GAA seems to be Castleknock who play in Porterstown park and Somerton. Also nursery in the small park by CCC (which im told is called Tir Na Og).
    Porterstown also hosts castleknock celtic (soccer club), park runs and athletics club, and a cricket pitch (oval?). however, parking is limited and walking is far more advised.

Several schools in the area.

theres been a lot of burglaries over the past few years (anecdotally anyway).

Not huge anti-social behaviour. you sometimes get gangs of teens outside the pub, but ive never seen anything odd or bad from them that goes beyond littering the park.

perfect thanks you for your detailed reply it certainly has helped! I get the sense from the area it is quite settled and peaceful but I have only passed through there the odd time so just needed confirmation from people within!

• Advertisement

perfect thanks you for your detailed reply it certainly has helped! I get the sense from the area it is quite settled and peaceful but I have only passed through there the odd time so just needed confirmation from people within!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I can recommend the chipper!

amtc...that's good enough for me!
    I went around the area this evening and it was very quiet! Popped into to the Carpenter pub and was impressed too!
    All looks good so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

You must've been there before Leo's welcome party...he celebrated there last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stuyvesant_1

I have lived here for 5 years. It is not worst place although a higher rate of burglaries than anywhere I ever lived.
    My house was been broken into 3 times in the last 5 years. 2 of those in a single month. My car was stolen in 1 of those.
    Neighbours have similar problem (They broke into 6 of my neighbour house on the same night).
    Also Sometimes gang of teenagers around the shop centre and local park. These are mostly ok but when start having group of more than 20 it gets annoying or frightening. They drink on Friday and Saturday night and make lot of noise going home.

I have lived here for 5 years. It is not worst place although a higher rate of burglaries than anywhere I ever lived.
    My house was been broken into 3 times in the last 5 years. 2 of those in a single month. My car was stolen in 1 of those.
    Neighbours have similar problem (They broke into 6 of my neighbour house on the same night).
    Also Sometimes gang of teenagers around the shop centre and local park. These are mostly ok but when start having group of more than 20 it gets annoying or frightening. They drink on Friday and Saturday night and make lot of noise going home.

That's slightly concerning! Which area of Carpenterstown are you living? Seemed very quiet last night

Hello I am living in Riverwood part of Carpenterstown.
    I would not worry too much about the burglary as from newspaper link posted earlier it seem most of Dublin 15 is having burglarly problems.

Ya I suppose, don't like the idea of gangs of lads hanging around drinking at the weekends either but if there is no trouble from them thenow I think it's ok..

It usually mixture of lads and girls. They are not troublesome just noisy and move in large numbers in particular during summer holiday from school.

Thanks for the comments, good to get all sides and opinions of people living there! if it's good enough for leo thinks it might be good enough for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

I was born and raised there, although I had to emigrate for work I still visit from time to time.

The schools are very good - particularly CCC. I had a great experience there and the primary school in Laurel Lodge is good too. I cant speak for the brand new schools. There is a very popular GAA club too.

The Carpenter is an excellent pub. Lovely staff and you are never waiting more than a minute for service at the bar. Its mostly people in their 30s, 40s and 50s (my parents generation) but on sunny days, the beer garden is pretty busy with people in their 20s and 30s. Pretty much the entire community packs in on Christmas Eve and the chipper next door is always delish. The Spar is a little expensive but there is a Tescos 5 minutes drive away and Blanch is a 10 minute drive with tons of shops.

The 37 bus is decent, maybe 3 an hour and it takes 45 minutes to get to town but the train is faster, yet jammers at peak times.

Ive honestly never felt unsafe here. As a teenager there were often hours in the evening or summer hanging around the area but not in a violent or threatening way, and we never had trouble from anyone else. Just bored kids lounging around!

I would often walk home from work in Blanch at 10 or 11pm and I was totally safe. Even now Im a lot older, I never feel unsafe or threatened. Because the area was built up in the 80s, most of the kids I grew up with have moved out or moved on and the older adult children and their families are left. Behind CCC, there are some newer estates but its mostly young couples from what I know. Fairly peaceful and quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

It usually mixture of lads and girls. They are not troublesome just noisy and move in large numbers in particular during summer holiday from school.

Yeah honestly, i used to be one! Lots of teenagers but certainly no threats or intimidation or robbing phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

loads of brainless scrotes in grey shorts or tracksuit bottoms pulling the bollox of themselves outside that awful rip-off spar , pretending to be gangstas , and then going home to mammy and daddy and off on the 2 week holiday to the campsite in france like good middle - class scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The in-laws live just over the level-crossing up the road. I've always thought the area the around the Carpenter pub looks nice, those houses are pricey. I did also think it strange it to see so many wannabe-scrotes hanging around such an area - a quick glance is enough to see they're not on the level of the actual scrotes that I'd be more familiar with. Unless they were hanging around on my garden wall, these would not put me off an area. I'm surprised at the previously mentioned level of burglaries, would not expect it around here.

The Carpenter is a really nice pub, I've only been in it a couple of times. For whatever reason the bro in-law prefers to go to the Rosie, in which I've never set foot. That chipper is quality, very possibly even better than my beloved Borza in Walkinstown.

Maybe you'd prefer real gangsters lol.

Very expensive Spar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

beauf wrote: »
    Very expensive Spar though.

Aren't they all?

Burglaries are a problem nationally.

But Blanch Garda seem very disinterested in burglaries fur some reason.

theteal wrote: »
    Aren't they all?

Yes but their prices vary quite a lot. The carpenter one is right to there with some of the most expensive ones in the city.

thanks for all the comments has helped us a lot! I think every area has these groups of teenagers so good to hear they are fairly harmless!
    We really like the area a lot, the commute into town is relatively ok would be nicer with a few more train connections, has a decent local, shop and chipper, few green areas, is settled and seems friendly so I think we're sold on the area!!!
    T

• Advertisement

lachouffe1 wrote: »
    thanks for all the comments has helped us a lot! I think every area has these groups of teenagers so good to hear they are fairly harmless!
    We really like the area a lot, the commute into town is relatively ok would be nicer with a few more train connections, has a decent local, shop and chipper, few green areas, is settled and seems friendly so I think we're sold on the area!!!
    T

Are you taking train service from Coolmine station during peak time? That I forget to mention. The train is very busy and difficult to find seat. Also if driving then traffic in area very bad during morning times also. Not so bad during school holiday.

Advertisement