Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTA

• 02-06-2017 12:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭

I was involved in an RTA earlier today. Two lanes of traffic, I was in the left hand lane and was rear-ended while stopped at traffic lights. The car that hit me pulled into the right hand lane but had to stop as the traffic lights were red. My OH jumped out of the car and ran up to the other car and stood in front of the car to stop him driving off when the lights turned green.

After a bit of back and forth the driver admitted liability and pulled into the side of the road. While we were exchanging insurance details i rang the local Garda station. I told them what happened and explained the other driver had attempted to drive away. The Garda asked if anyone was injured, I said no and he said just exchange details and your insurance companies will sort it out. I asked the Garda it they were going to attend and he said no, nobody was injured.

i always believed that it was an offence to leave the scene of an accident which the other driver attempted to do. I could be wrong but I feel the Garda should have come and taken statements from us. Two other driver stopped and gave me thier mobile numbers as they seen what happen. Thankfully nobody was injured but I feel the other driver should be held accountable for his actions.

Sorry for the long post, I would be interested in hearing others opinions on this. Should the Garda have attended and taken statements from those involved and the witnesses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's a waste of time unless they actually fled, which happened to me as a matter of fact - they were excellent in that case - me not so much for chasing the guy. Invest in a dash cam and worry not about such future happenings.

In fact even if the person did make off, it's not a priority as presumably you'd have the reg plate.

Incidentally you've no idea how pissed/drugged up/desperate to get away a driver is - not a great idea standing in front of the vehicle unless you're very light on your feet.

Advertisement