Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Emergency Department at UHL

• 02-06-2017 3:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Opened last Monday, cost €24m (came in within its budget) but not even a whisper about it on Boards :confused:

For those who have attended I'm curious to hear your opinions of it.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

grenache wrote: »
    Opened last Monday, cost €24m (came in within its budget) but not even a whisper about it on Boards :confused:

For those who have attended I'm curious to hear your opinions of it.....

....and..... The INMO have a whole new list of complaints now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There last night. 3 negatives. When it comes to smoking the ambulance bay is basically one big smoking canopy, drop off zone will be badly abused blocking access and lack of Cafe may be a nuisance for some.

Otherwise big and nicer look. Still being staffed and managed by previous department so hey ho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Thought smoking was banned outright on the hospital grounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

zulutango wrote: »
    Thought smoking was banned outright on the hospital grounds?

It is but people are assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

where is the entrance to the new A&E in relation to the old entrance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I noticed last night that there are still traffic cones in front of the new ambulance entrance from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I didn't even know there was a new A & E Dept.

Is it as hellish? (no offense to the staff but the old one really was!)

I didn't even know there was a new A & E Dept.

Is it as hellish? (no offense to the staff but the old one really was!)

It's years ahead of the old one. It'll take a bit of time for the dust to settle but it's a positive move forward for the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It's all segregated now, and much much bigger. Still a lot of people on trolleys and chairs. Not enough staff on either it seems, and a lot of foreign staff, making it hard to get your point across.
    Still though, I've never ever seen it so quiet!

That's brilliant. I saw a photo of one of the rooms, seems more private and dignified. I can't believe there's still people still on trolleys though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That's brilliant. I saw a photo of one of the rooms, seems more private and dignified. I can't believe there's still people still on trolleys though!

I doesn't matter how big the ED is, if there aren't beds available in the rest of hospital people will end up on trolleys. Opening the new ED didn't solve that issue unfortunately.

I doesn't matter how big the ED is, if there aren't beds available in the rest of hospital people will end up on trolleys. Opening the new ED didn't solve that issue unfortunately.

and just to add to this. UHL is only Emergency Department serving a large area (since they closed Ennis) All we see in the papers is how poor UHL is being managed since they are so many people left on trollies. What we should be seeing is an out cry for the opening of another Emergency Department. While Johns in a great asset to the area, it's an injury clinic, that doesn't cut it.

RE: Staff levels.
    It's my understanding they are still short of 1.9 million in budget but they pressed to open the place to relieve pressure on the system (which it has done and will continue to do in the grand scheme of things).

I'm a bit surprised that in INMO set their sights to attack from the get-go to be totally honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Mc Love wrote: »
    It's all segregated now, and much much bigger. Still a lot of people on trolleys and chairs. Not enough staff on either it seems, and a lot of foreign staff, making it hard to get your point across.
    Still though, I've never ever seen it so quiet!
    Quiet?! Are we talking about the same Department? :D. It's busier now than it was in the old department. It may seem quiet in the waiting room by reception, but once you get inside I can assure you it's not. Where there was once 1 triage nurses checking in patients, there are now 3. So patients are being taken in quicker, but they're not being seen by doctors any quicker and they're defo not getting beds any quicker, meaning there's a good 10-20% increase in patients in the department compared to the old place.

They made a big cock-up in the main waiting area for Minors (Walking) patients, there isn't half enough seats. People standing and sitting on the floor for hours is common place. And yet there are too many seats in the outside waiting area by reception, despite the fact that patients will never sit in that area for anything longer than 30 minutes maximum.

Apparently they have a new state-of-the-art CT Scanner at this new department, so that's something. I haven't had the 'pleasure' of seeing the new A and E thank God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

grenache wrote: »
    Quiet?! Are we talking about the same Department? :D. It's busier now than it was in the old department..

Yep same department, where i was - it was a lot quiter than the previous A&E even with the amount of people waiting for beds. It's still not great by any means, but it is an A&E after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Mc Love wrote: »
    Yep same department, where i was - it was a lot quiter than the previous A&E even with the amount of people waiting for beds. It's still not great by any means, but it is an A&E after all.

It might look quieter in the waiting areas but inside the access doors of the various areas I can assure you it's anything but. Numbers are up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Just read about this new CT scanner in the resus room super impressive and modern.

Apparently international medics coming to view it over the next 6 weeks.

Now let's crack on with the new block.

And a few extra parking spaces would be nice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

kilburn wrote: »
    Just read about this new CT scanner in the resus room super impressive and modern.

Apparently international medics coming to view it over the next 6 weeks.

Now let's crack on with the new block.

If it's the one on tracks then the track mechanism is broken already. The injector pumps were broken on delivery too from what I heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

And there's no phone signal in there either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement