Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP Request from tenants - MEATH CO. COUNCIL

Options
  • 01-06-2017 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Has anyone experience of HAP with Meath County Council?

Current tenants rang this morning, saying they are applying for HAP. I am due to send notification of a rent increase later this month as it is two years since the last increase. The rent is currently about €500 below the market rate. Am I obliged to consider HAP or can I say no?

House is a quality detached property which should rent easily on the open market and is in good repair. Current tenants Part IV will end in August. Not located in a rent pressure zone. Might consider selling at this point as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

You cannot discriminate against tenants simply because they are eligible for HAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Increase the rent to market rate, making sure that you follow the letter of the law, no mistakes. Then it is up to the CoCo/tenant whether they will pay market rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

if the 4 year part IV is up in August I would give the required notice now so that it will end on or after the date of part iv ending. Take the opportunity now and get new tenants in at market rate. This is not discrimiation...you are entitled not to enter a further part IV once you give required notice in the RTB template format. A reason must be given however it doesnt have to be for any specific reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Check your insurance. I was told my landlord insurance wouldn't be valid under HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Eve 09

if the 4 year part IV is up in August I would give the required notice now so that it will end on or after the date of part iv ending. Take the opportunity now and get new tenants in at market rate. This is not discrimiation...you are entitled not to enter a further part IV once you give required notice in the RTB template format. A reason must be given however it doesnt have to be for any specific reason.

Thanks - that is probably the best option. The tenant is aware that HAP may not cover an increased rent as the property is not your typical rental - very little useful information on HAP on the Meath County Council Website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Eve 09

godtabh wrote: »
    Check your insurance. I was told my landlord insurance wouldn't be valid under HAP.

That's interesting - did they give a reason why the insurance wouldn't be valid. Just about to renew mine in the next few weeks and will ask that question now.
    Thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Eve 09 wrote: »
    That's interesting - did they give a reason why the insurance wouldn't be valid. Just about to renew mine in the next few weeks and will ask that question now.
    Thanks for your reply.

Risk I assume and the face that the landlord may not be able to select their tenants. I was told all but 1 of their companies dont cover the scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Give notice and sell if you're considering it anyway, it's really not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

My advice is not to get involved with any of these schemes. I've a house in RAS and it's coming out as soon as the contract is up. Can't be bothered dealing with the council any more.

Advertisement