Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goat Path Cliffs of Moher

Options
  • 02-06-2017 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Anyone know how to find the Goat path to get you down to the beach under the cliffs? Is it on the way back to Doolin via the cliff walk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Just follow the goats? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I wouldn't be looking for it after reading this report the other day.
    http://clareherald.com/2017/05/two-men-seriously-hurt-in-cliff-fall-accident-83958/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

tcooley wrote: »
    Anyone know how to find the Goat path to get you down to the beach under the cliffs? Is it on the way back to Doolin via the cliff walk?

Ask Doolin Rescue. Am sure they'd be glad to tell you how to find it and hopefully they'd make it clear to you that if you slipped on the way down, they would leave you there and not be risking their lives to fetch you back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

tcooley wrote: »

I've been down to the storm beach a few times. Snorkelled there, out to the sea stack and around to Goat Island.

The path is dodgy enough near the bottom, where you're still 40 feet above the storm beach full of large boulders. You have to assess it every time and figure out the best way to climb down the bottom section. That's where those two Americans fell 30 feet onto large boulders.

If you're not comfortable rock climbing, and figuring out if the track has disintegrated too much, and that you need to go back, then don't even think about it.

Even the upper section (350-550 foot) is a bit dodgy, less than a foot wide track along a couple of sections with a 60 degree grassy slope to slide down until you hit the bottom section and fly off the 40 foot cliff.

At the bottom it's a storm beach with large(3 foot) to massive boulders(20 foot). You'll see mud and shale in near the cliff itself where sections have collapsed. You don't want to be anywhere near there in surf of any size.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭NIAC Fanboy

4 years later��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

4 years later��

It takes that long to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Is it still doable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

embraer170 wrote: »
    Is it still doable?

tenor.gif

Of course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭JibJabWibWab

luap_42 wrote: »
    I've been down to the storm beach a few times. Snorkelled there, out to the sea stack and around to Goat Island.

The path is dodgy enough near the bottom, where you're still 40 feet above the storm beach full of large boulders. You have to assess it every time and figure out the best way to climb down the bottom section. That's where those two Americans fell 30 feet onto large boulders.

If you're not comfortable rock climbing, and figuring out if the track has disintegrated too much, and that you need to go back, then don't even think about it.

Even the upper section (350-550 foot) is a bit dodgy, less than a foot wide track along a couple of sections with a 60 degree grassy slope to slide down until you hit the bottom section and fly off the 40 foot cliff.

At the bottom it's a storm beach with large(3 foot) to massive boulders(20 foot). You'll see mud and shale in near the cliff itself where sections have collapsed. You don't want to be anywhere near there in surf of any size.

I think you're wildly exaggerating the risk.
    It's not a death defying climb in the Himalaya's. Here's a video that shows a woman ascending the track in flip-flops...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO6rsklp7K8

It's not a death defying climb in the Himalaya's. Here's a video that shows a woman ascending the track in flip-flops...

It might have disintegrated a bit since that video?

• Advertisement

How is the snorkelling around there?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭hurikane

:D:D:D

The description of the video "Have you ever felt like death was behind you??? Well I did on the side of this cliff in Clare. I got the fear pretty bad.... Even goats find this one difficult."

4 years later��

So what?

The post is still viewable, therefore the information is relevant.

There are other viewers other than the OP finding this thread. Do you think they give a damn about the date of the OP, or are more interested in relevant information about the track?

Maybe you need to learn how forums work, and that new information can still be relevant. It's not a review of the latest smartphone, it's information about a track which doesn't change much, and which I've been to twice in the last two weeks.

Nope, check that video from 2:30 to 2:40, which is not real time, it is sped up, so take about a minute to traverse. That section requires one slip and you are a goner. If you are relaxed with a good head for heights, you might be okay.

You can do it in flip flops. So what? One caught flip-flop at the wrong moment higher up, and she would've been history. She an idiot for doing so.

A different person with no head for heights, bad balance, the slightest catch of their foot. Different story.

And the three American guys, two of whom were seriously injured would beg to differ.

embraer170 wrote: »
    How is the snorkelling around there?

Haven't snorkelled for a few years, but generally fish species are bigger than elsewhere, but it wasn't crazy busy with fish either.

Stand on one of the big slabs in a few feet of water though, especially in the sea under O'Brien's tower cliff face and you'll have many species of birds zipping past both ears at speed.

Haven't snorkelled for a few years, but generally fish species are bigger than elsewhere, but it wasn't crazy busy with fish either.

Stand on one of the big slabs in a few feet of water though, especially in the sea under O'Brien's tower cliff face and you'll have many species of birds zipping past both ears at speed.

Thanks!

Advertisement