Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike - Flexible Tyre width

Options
  • 02-06-2017 9:02am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Looking for a new bike that can take larger tyre widths in the winter month.

Happy to go with disk brakes.

Only thing is I know nothing about disk brakes or what type of frame is required for a 30mm + tyre.

Any suggestions? Budget around €1750

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I went for a Rose Pro DX Cross for wider tyres on something that is still good on the road which at just under 9kg is light enough for a disc CX bike. I reckon for 30mm+ tyres you're more likely looking at a gravel or CX bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd choose between a Genesis Croix de Fer and Tour de Fer if weight wasn't the issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Weight is not an issue!

Any recommendations for tyre width for winter ice/frosty/snowy conditions?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

was going to suggest genesis also - this review states they got 33mm tyres on the (2014) equilibrium disc 20, which i think is about €100 over your stated budget. probably get it cheaper in the UK? the current model comes with 28mm as standard.

https://www.bikerumor.com/2015/11/04/review-genesis-equilibrium-disc-20-from-roads-and-commuting-to-trail-riding/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

ice/frosty/snowy conditions?

Anything accepting 40mm to accommodate 38mm spiked tyres and some clearance for stuff that may stick to them.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    Weight is not an issue!

Any recommendations for tyre width for winter ice/frosty/snowy conditions?

I use 32mm Schwalbe Marathon Supremes, which are more like a Durano plus than a Marathon. Grippy, not too heavy and roll well, though nowhere near as puncture proof as the Marathon plus and quite expensive. Also easy enough to get on and off on the side of the road.

Edit: For icy conditions I put the spikes on, also Schwalbe. Bit like driving a tractor by comparison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm not sure how bad the conditions get but I could be going from Enniskerry to Eastpoint business park. 90% of the time a standard bike would be fine but looking for a 'commuter' bike that can handle wider tyres if needed.

I'm not sure how bad the conditions get but I could be going from Enniskerry to Eastpoint business park. 90% of the time a standard bike would be fine but looking for a 'commuter' bike that can handle wider tyres if needed.

One thing I'm planning on which might be worth considering is getting a spare set of wheels for bad weather, which you can swap in on the morning as needed. That means you can be on a reasonably agile setup most of the time and quickly swap to a bad conditions setup as needs be.

smacl wrote: »
    One thing I'm planning on which might be worth considering is getting a spare set of wheels for bad weather, which you can swap in on the morning as needed. That means you can be on a reasonably agile setup most of the time and quickly swap to a bad conditions setup as needs be.

Thats kind of what I was thinking but I was assuming that would require 2 sets of disk brake wheelsets?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I would imagine that the vast majority of disc-equipped roadbikes would be well able to accept 30mm+ tyres.

This Specialized Sequoia comes with discs and 40mm+ tyres, it's a little under budget but I think they're quite cool. The better specced version is a bit over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

smacl wrote: »
    Thats kind of what I was thinking but I was assuming that would require 2 sets of disk brake wheelsets?

Yes it would. OTOH, you could probably get away with just a spare front wheel on which you mount your spiked winter tyre. That will do for a quick swap on a suddenly snowy morning and, if a cold spell is going to set in, you can mount another winter tyre on the only rear wheel.

When you do get the bike, put fat tyres on anyway. The right wide tyres are much more comfy, roll just as fast (if not faster*) than narrow tyres and can be pretty cheap. I ride the voyager hypers all year round and can happily keep up with my audax colleagues (some of the time).

*Wider, softer tyres typically roll faster on rougher road surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

You can get a set of Aksiums on sale for just over 100e

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/inflite/

I'd go for the 8.0 (latest version has hydro brakes too) and you can pick up a crank for sub 100
    Same as on bike but 50/34

Now you have the knobby tyres & a cross bike if needed. You probably have road tyres you can put on another set of wheels.

It also takes mud guards and has room for 38mm snow/ice tyres.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCSNST/schwalbe-snow-stud-wired-tyre

Bike sizing is a pain though!

[edit-I couldn't help but notice on mavic it states Akisums as having a recommened Tyre of 25-32mm.

Which is great, as I'll be sh1tting myself using them next winter! :pac:

You can get a set of Aksiums on sale for just over 100e

https://www.canyon.com/en-ie/road/inflite/

I'd go for the 8.0 (latest version has hydro brakes too) and you can pick up a crank for sub 100
    Same as on bike but 50/34

Now you have the knobby tyres & a cross bike if needed. You probably have road tyres you can put on another set of wheels.

It also takes mud guards and has room for 38mm snow/ice tyres.
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYSCSNST/schwalbe-snow-stud-wired-tyre

Bike sizing is a pain though!

[edit-I couldn't help but notice on mavic it states Akisums as having a recommened Tyre of 25-32mm.

Which is great, as I'll be sh1tting myself using them next winter! :pac:

I've looked at all the Canyons. The colour schemes for the AL Inflite have gone to **** but I do like that one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I have the voyagers that cdaly_ linked too. Probably on his recommendation. Took them cross country and some bumpy, lumpy, potted and gritty roads and they were great.

After two pros, I have to chime in with my con:

They're very fast, almost racing tyre fast (38mm version in my case). Very comfortable. And slippery like feck on anything wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

What? The Voyagers? Maybe you're just too light. (or I'm too heavy)...

Yup, the voyagers / hypers.

Advertisement