Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Josephs College / Mount Sackville

Options
  • 02-06-2017 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all. My daughter has been offered places in each of the above and to be honest I'm torn between the two. Both perform very well in the league tables, both have principles who impressed during the open days, excellent sporting opportunities, Transition Years and general ethos that tick the boxes. We are in Clonsilla so neither are on the doorstep but both seem a lot more attractive than our local community college. Is it worth paying the fees asked by Mount Sackville when Josephs is available to us? Any opinions would be appreciated please! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi all. My daughter has been offered places in each of the above and to be honest I'm torn between the two. Both perform very well in the league tables, both have principles who impressed during the open days, excellent sporting opportunities, Transition Years and general ethos that tick the boxes. We are in Clonsilla so neither are on the doorstep but both seem a lot more attractive than our local community college. Is it worth paying the fees asked by Mount Sackville when Josephs is available to us? Any opinions would be appreciated please! Thanks

Might be the wrong forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Any idea where would be the best forum?, where do the Lucan people hang out!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 jackwoodson

As a school, Mount Sackville is a much better choice. However you have to consider your daughter and which school she would fit into better as Mount Sackville has a serious bullying problem if she isn't the 'type'. So try see and talk to the girls that come out of each school and consider which your daughter would fit with better (not which would you prefer your daughter to be like). Meshing well and making friends has a much better outcome on her quality of life and future prospects than all the other factors in my opinion.

EDIT: It's not the wrong forum, who else is going to know about those schools other than those from here.

As a school, Mount Sackville is a much better choice. However you have to consider your daughter and which school she would fit into better as Mount Sackville has a serious bullying problem if she isn't the 'type'. So try see and talk to the girls that come out of each school and consider which your daughter would fit with better (not which would you prefer your daughter to be like). Meshing well and making friends has a much better outcome on her quality of life and future prospects than all the other factors in my opinion.

EDIT: It's not the wrong forum, who else is going to know about those schools other than those from here.

Is mount sackville not in Chaplizod ? If not I am wrong other wise its the wrong forum as Chaplizod is not west dublin

Mount Sackville is very relevant to Dublin West, St Joseph's is also in Dublin West. He's trying to decide which school. Dublin West would be the most appropriate forum for comparing the two, no other forum would be able to. In the other thread your man was talking about cycling to town, is he not meant to ask that because town isn't in Dublin West?

Just let people talk without every thread filled up with posts about whether or not it could possible be an infraction of the rules.

• Advertisement

Mount Sackville is very relevant to Dublin West, St Joseph's is also in Dublin West. He's trying to decide which school. Dublin West would be the most appropriate forum for comparing the two, no other forum would be able to. In the other thread your man was talking about cycling to town, is he not meant to ask that because town isn't in Dublin West?

Just let people talk without every thread filled up with posts about whether or not it could possible be an infraction of the rules.

Calm down for feck sake..
    The cycling one is about a guy going from Lucan to Town.

Would many in Lucan know much about Mount Sackville?
    MIght as well ask what are the pubs like in Chaplizod sure!

Yes and this one is about someone going from Lucan to Mt Sackville, no difference, except Mt Sackville is closer. Yes of course everyone in Lucan would know about Mt Sackville, it's literally the only other girls school. There's about 100 pubs around, and 2 girls schools so there's a difference. Just annoying the amount of threads having to get interrupted with people going mad about possible rule breaking.

Yes and this one is about someone going from Lucan to Mt Sackville, no difference, except Mt Sackville is closer. Yes of course everyone in Lucan would know about Mt Sackville, it's literally the only other girls school. There's about 100 pubs around, and 2 girls schools so there's a difference. Just annoying the amount of threads having to get interrupted with people going mad about possible rule breaking.

I never mentioned there was a rule break, i was implying maybe another fourm could help the OP.

PS Consilla is not in Lucan.

Thats the end of it

Go on and go annoy someone else

No more derailing please. St Josephs is in Dublin West and as has been pointed out most people who know St. josephs would also know of Mount Sackville hence my reason for thinking this was the most suitable place to post.
    Thank you for your comments re the school jackwoodson. I have heard this before and it troubles me. I think my eldest daughter would be well suited, however her younger sister maybe not and I want them going to the same school. I have until next Sept to decide so i'll no doubt change my mind numerous times between now and then!, we also have the local community school to add to the mix.

• Advertisement

Younger sister may have an advantage having an older sibling in the school though, someone to look out for her and ensure she's being integrated too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My wife went to "Joeys" and we'll be in the same position in a few years deciding where we send our two girls - both of whom will be going to Scoil Mhuire.
    Both are good schools but there will be an element of social "profiling" done by some of the students in Mount Sackville.
    One thing to bear in mind regarding Mount Sackville is not just the fees but be ready to cough up an awful lot more money for exotic school trips and activities! That in itself could lead to issues for your daughter if you can't afford to let her take part in many of those activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LB16

My daughter has just started 1st year in St Joseph's and she is loving it. Teachers seem to be really good for the most part and she has already made a load of new friends. My niece also goes there and is now in 6th year and she likes it too. I live in Lucan so would know a lot of people with girls in the school and I have never heard any complaints. I dont see the need to pay for a private school when you have the option of a very good "free" school, its expensive enough, believe me and like previously said, there is also future school trips to think of, I know I want my daughter to go on as many as possible and simply wouldn't be able to afford them all if we had school fees on top of everything else, but maybe that might not be an issue for you. Best of luck on your decision.

LB16 wrote: »
    My daughter has just started 1st year in St Joseph's and she is loving it. Teachers seem to be really good for the most part and she has already made a load of new friends. My niece also goes there and is now in 6th year and she likes it too. I live in Lucan so would know a lot of people with girls in the school and I have never heard any complaints. I dont see the need to pay for a private school when you have the option of a very good "free" school, its expensive enough, believe me and like previously said, there is also future school trips to think of, I know I want my daughter to go on as many as possible and simply wouldn't be able to afford them all if we had school fees on top of everything else, but maybe that might not be an issue for you. Best of luck on your decision.

Thank you very much for this LB16, great feedback. I think if we were just that bit closer to St. Joseph's it would be a no brainer, there are ways around it but I don't particularly want her spending too much time on public transport every day, especially in the dark and dreary winter months. Maybe moving house is the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Thank you very much for this LB16, great feedback. I think if we were just that bit closer to St. Joseph's it would be a no brainer, there are ways around it but I don't particularly want her spending too much time on public transport every day, especially in the dark and dreary winter months. Maybe moving house is the answer!

How about her getting the 239? It only takes about 10-15mins to get from Clonsilla to Lucan village and its timetable should coincide well with school times or any post school activities.

LB16 wrote: »

Hi LB16, it's decision time for us now so I thought I'd check in to see if your daughter is still getting on ok at St. Josephs! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 LB16

Hi LB16, it's decision time for us now so I thought I'd check in to see if your daughter is still getting on ok at St. Josephs! Thanks

Hi, she's still getting on great, has met a lovely bunch of new friends and did really well with her xmas exams. In my opinion, I think its a great school and I haven't once regretted our decision. She hasn't witnessed any bullying of any kind and they seem to do a lot to help the girls to mix and get to know new people. Good luck with your decision.

Advertisement