Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance premium craziness

• 02-06-2017 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hello all,

My wifes motor insurance premium last year was €1200 before adding on six years no claims. This year it went up to €8000.

The jump is related to a claim she made nearly three years ago. She was hit by recovery vehicle driving along the central reservation as she was turning right. Her car was totaled. She took photos, but as the recovery vehicle driver moved his vehicle off the central reservation immediately, she didn't get any pictures of him at fault. She received a payout of €1000 for her car, which was a bit under market value - but she wasn't too bothered

So two weeks ago she called up for a renewal quote as she didn't get one automatically as she had expected. The insurance company told her that as the other party kept denying responsibility and that they were just giving up on processing the claim (their actual words) and hold my wife liable. So her new quote would be nearly €8000 and she now has only two years no claims discount.

She has gone to other insurers who all refuse a quote or offer one with a similar exorbitant price. So, is there anything she can do? not being able to drive would literally be a career killer as she has to drive to get to work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,080 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know if the recovery driver also received money from the claim? If not could she offer to pay the insurer the 1000 they initially gave to her for her car seeing as her original perception was that the claim was not her fault, perhaps an option for her.

Seems an odd state of affairs, do you know if your wifes insurer was the same as the recovery drivers? An insurer shouldn't stop working on your behalf simply because the other party denies liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

Do you know if the recovery driver also received money from the claim? If not could she offer to pay the insurer the 1000 they initially gave to her for her car seeing as her original perception was that the claim was not her fault, perhaps an option for her.

Seems an odd state of affairs, do you know if your wifes insurer was the same as the recovery drivers? An insurer shouldn't stop working on your behalf simply because the other party denies liability.

We don't know if the other driver claimed. There was little damage done to their vehicle, our car was hit with the reinforcing bars along the side of the recovery vehicle which basically shredded the front right of our car. It was paint and cosmetic damage at worst for them.

As soon as the incident happened the driver denied all responsibility, but insisted he take our car away. My wife wasn't falling for that one and arranged her own recovery.

The recovery driver is with a different insurer to us.

I know its odd, especially since it has taken so long for them to come to this conclusion. They also didn't have the decency to write and tell us. We only found out when my wife called to get a renewal quote.

It's also worth mentioning that our insurer is owned by a bigger one. The parent insurer stepped in to make this decision.

Because my wife now has an at-fault claim it messes everything up.

EDIT: The other driver didn't claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,080 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd try to see if they will allow you repay the €1000 to them, they may refuse though as it was so long ago, worth a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

I have no input to a solution but that is damn right disgraceful insurance company's can get away with this type of bulls*it!!!

Anyone can be involved in a accident and to think they can just throw a figure in the sky for a renewal is a disgrace to this country how they can get away with it and already increasing peoples premiums lately up to 50% who have never made claims!

There worse than the banks that has us citizen's at their mercy and hanging us out to suffer!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I'd try to see if they will allow you repay the €1000 to them, they may refuse though as it was so long ago, worth a try.

She suggested that, but the insurance company said once a claim is made there is no going back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

grundie wrote: »
    She suggested that, but the insurance company said once a claim is made there is no going back.

Not completely true, it happened me in 2009, i was allowed to repay the amount (€2000) and i got my bonus restored.

The amount in question was only repaid a year later at renewal time.

Insurance companies never say no to money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

KC161 wrote: »
    Not completely true, it happened me in 2009, i was allowed to repay the amount (€2000) and i got my bonus restored.

The amount in question was only repaid a year later at renewal time.

Insurance companies never say no to money.

Was the claim also wiped?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I would make a formal complaint, and involve the ombudsman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

grundie wrote:

Totally wrong. It can be done even years later. All aspects of the claim must be finalised before this can be done through

• Advertisement

The claim is wiped but the accident still needs to be disclosed to insurers

The claim is wiped but the accident still needs to be disclosed to insurers

how would that affect the premium?

grundie wrote:
    So two weeks ago she called up for a renewal quote as she didn't get one automatically as she had expected. The insurance company told her that as the other party kept denying responsibility and that they were just giving up on processing the claim (their actual words) and hold my wife liable. So her new quote would be nearly €8000 and she now has only two years no claims discount.

It shouldn't affect the premium with your insurance provider but it may with potential insurers

I'd be dubious about paying back unless it was small money

Advertisement