Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's causing Waterford's tech hub speedy growth?

Options
  • 02-06-2017 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

A couple of years ago, the TSSG area was basically all there was. Now there's that Node JS shop, red hat, companies growing much bigger and even regular techie meetups.

This looked very unlikely a few years ago and I never thought it could happen.

Did the sale of Feed Henry trigger something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I wouldn't really call Waterford a tech hub. A couple of spin outs from the TSSG and one Multinational in Redhat.

We are still light-years behind Cork and Galway with regards to IT companies here.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

dzilla wrote: »
    I would really call Waterford a tech hub. A couple of spin outs from the TSSG and one Multinational in Redhat.

We are still light-years behind Cork and Galway with regards to IT companies here.

Regardless, it has grown very quickly in recent years, which is what I'm trying to get at. Some Routematch crowd is even eating up other companies developers all over the shop form what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Regardless, it has grown very quickly in recent years, which is what I'm trying to get at. Some Routematch crowd is even eating up other companies developers all over the shop form what I've heard.

Route-match have pilfered a lot of staff from the tssg that is true. Probably because they are offering them over the minimum wage :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

dzilla wrote: »
    Route-match have pilfered a lot of staff from the tssg that is true. Probably because they are offering them over the minimum wage :pac:

Speaking of which, I've heard on Reddit that the starting salary for devs in Waterford now is about 35K (Which is about ten grand more than it used to be?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

I hear they (RouteMatch) are still looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Once a town/city reaches a critical mass of similar companies, it makes it a very attractive proposition for others to set-up there too because there's a pool of expertise that they can tap into. No company wants to set-up in an area where there's a shortage of skills.

Obviously there's also cost. It's very difficult to find city centre office space in any of the larger cities right now and rent is a massive challenge for all but the biggest of multi-nationals or well-funded start-ups. Talent acquisition is also much cheaper in Waterford as the cost of living is lower and wages are generally much lower than they are in the capital.

It's great to see all this progress though.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

WIT long investment in IT education since 1970s. First computer science degree in sector. It used to be our graduates for export. Then lectures got hacked off with that and through TSSG, EU and SFI funding conjured up Redhat, NearForm etc... Not a finger lifted nationally by the IDA to lure in a big MNC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

A couple of years ago, the TSSG area was basically all there was. Now there's that Node JS shop, red hat, companies growing much bigger and even regular techie meetups.

This looked very unlikely a few years ago and I never thought it could happen.

Did the sale of Feed Henry trigger something?

If you look back over it’s history Waterford has always been quite an inventive city. This is just the 20th/21st century version of this.

As has been said it was certainly nothing to do with the government because they have done flip all to help Waterford.

Advertisement