Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Analogue switch over?

Options
  • 02-06-2017 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi guys
    Living in Dublin and wondering about the analogue switch over.

At the moment we still get 14-15 channels (sometimes channel 4 is missing, and nickeloden becomes Comedy Central at 7pm), but obviously since this is an analogue signal there's no EPG and the quality ain't great compared to a digital signal.

Does anyone know if these channels will we switching to a digital signal when they turn the analogue signal off in Dublin? I have asked saorview about it but they're not sure.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,589 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is Virgin Media who are supplying these channels, nothing whatsover to do with Saorview. If you have broadband with Virgin Media these channels come in on the same service.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hi guys
    Living in Dublin and wondering about the analogue switch over.

The TV channels broadcast over the air (OTA) i.e. from terrestrial transmitters have already switched to digital. The cable that's connected to your TV is not coming from an aerial, it's connected to Virgin Media i.e. you have cable (not terrestrial) TV.
    At the moment we still get 14-15 channels (sometimes channel 4 is missing, and nickeloden becomes Comedy Central at 7pm), but obviously since this is an analogue signal there's no EPG and the quality ain't great compared to a digital signal.

That is a legacy set of analog channels coming from Virgin Media (VM), it's a mix of VHF and UHF. If you want the digital channels with an EPG and better picture quality, you can simply ask VM to give you a digital box. It probably won't cost you much more per month, might even be cheaper if you negotiate a new contract with a Digital TV & Broadband bundle - assuming you already have VM broadband.

Note that the newer digital boxes only connect via HDMI. If you have no HDMI port on the TV then you need to ask for an older (non-HD) digital decoder which will connect via SCART - if they still have these boxes.
    Does anyone know if these channels will we switching to a digital signal when they turn the analogue signal off in Dublin? I have asked saorview about it but they're not sure.

It's nothing to do with Saorview and I'm amazed that the person you spoke to was clueless about this. Saorview is the Irish digital TV service broadcast from transmitters and which can only be received by an aerial. The UK equivalent is called Freeview.

The analog signal on VM's cable in Dublin will be there for some time yet as there are thousands of people like you still using it.

Advertisement